Streaming not sold on it yet

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
my cd player bit the dust so I have been streaming from my imac to apple TV wirelessly then into my Cyrus Pre2 DacQx via optical. I have ripped cd's on that imac so i gave it a whirl to compare and found the sound, sounded flat and artifical. Is the apple tv not the best for sound quality playback I was thinking of picking up a sonos to stream into my pre amp. Any thoughts or is that as good as it gets with apple lossless files.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
In theory the apple tv isn't doing much apart from passing the data from the imac to the Cyrus Dac. I wouldn't have thought you would notice much difference if any from changing the apple tv.

How was the cd player connected up? Were you using that just as a transport or were you taking a signal out of the Dac on the cd player? If it's the latter, it might be that you preferred the sound from the Dac in your cd player over the cyrus.

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I was using a Cyrus transport coax into the dac of the pre amp. What a difference in quality though. I ripped a new cd lossless played it and was at odds how bad it sounded. Does it matter if it's going through the Apple TV would a sonos sound better streaming wirelessly from my iMac

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
if you are plugging the sonos digitally in to the dac, then it's probably going to sound the same. Have you tried plugging the imac via usb in to the dac, see how that sounds?

iMark

I assume that you're using iTunes as the playback software for your ripped CDs. In my experience it makes an incredible difference to the output if you do two things:

- set the volume slider to the extreme right (maximum)

- in iTunes go to Playback preferences in the Preferences. Uncheck everything: Crossfade songs, sound enhancer and sound check.

If you do all this, you should get the best possible output from your iMac over Airplay. My only (slight) reservation is that the output will be resampled on the fly from 16/44.1 to 16/48. I don't think that should make an audible difference though. It's just one of the things that's different between the Apple TV and the Airport Express (that I use). Airplay to the Airport Express sends everything in 16/44.1 and doesn't resample CD quality Apple Lossless files.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
As it seems you don´t like the sound coming out from your Pre/Dac so you can try going in analogue as this is just the only way not to use your Dac.I don´t think input via usb would change something but worth a try.

If you are not happy you can buy a streamer with sound you like via it´s analogue outputs or use an other dac.

If you're using the apple tv via airplay and using your mobile or tablet as a remote,this is going to cause s/q degradation as the device receives the files wirelessly and sends them on to the apple tv also wirelessly.I was disappointed with s/q when I tried this method,Spotify connect is better.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I have both Sonos ZP80 (Connect only 6 year older) and a Cambridge CXN. SQ on the CXN is better deeper richer. Having said that the Sonos is an awsome transport and it bullet proof streaming. If i use Airplay on the CXN the quality is not as good as using Spotify Connect on the CXN.

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the help. It's not the pre or dac I'm not happy with it was the sound I was getting vs the Cyrus transport. The imaging and richness was much more proficient. I may try the Sonos for one reason coax I have never cared for optical sound vs copper. I'm sorry I've read that a lossless file on your computer tablet phone streamed into your dac will sound as good as a CD player but I have to disagree. Unless I'm missing something which could very well be the case. But man streaming is so convenient

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
If you're using the apple tv via airplay and using your mobile or tablet as a remote,this is going to cause s/q degradation as the device receives the files wirelessly and sends them on to the apple tv also wirelessly.I was disappointed with s/q when I tried this method,Spotify connect is better.

No it doesn't. You can test this shutting down the remote app or even the device while the file streams from the computer.

Personally using my ATV sounds no different from connecting my computer directly to the DAC, although for logistical reasons I can't do a test where I instantly switch between them (or rath I can't be bothered).

My only thought is perhaps the introduction of jitter or issues with settings.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi Mike,

Just to add my 2 cents worth. Good advice above to connect your iMac to the cyrus via usb to establish a "best case" for streaming. In addition to the settings in iTunes, once connected go to System pref->sound->input and your dac sould be seen as a usb device. Selecting it will by pass the inferior computer soundcard and the asynchronous Cyrus DAC will take charge of those mysterious buffering and clocking duties. This should be as good as it gets for your ripped files. If you do then decide to go down the streaming route, an ethernet wired connection is recommended by most manufactures over wireless - I concur and use homeplugs to good effect. I bought a cheap squeezebox touch as an interim streamer several years ago and have found no good reason to change. It's coax output to my Marantz SA8005 produces excellent results, although I use it mainly for internet radio, especially the superb Radio Paradise. I also stream via an ATV2 and Marantz SA7007 in my AV -not much to choose between them. Bandwidth is crucial with streaming , as demonstrated by Netfix's variable PQ resolution. For music, radio excepted, I still prefer the silver disc.

Still waiting to demo the Proac Studio 118's. Dealers scarce in my area and might visit David in Coventry - a bit of a hike, but not like having to cross the Rockies
regular_smile.gif

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
take the trip over to demo those 118's there cracking and the best all rounders ive heard from Proac.

On the streaming end of things I cannot hard wire they are to far apart as for internet speed and bandwith thats not a issue here for me in canada I could stream blu ray wireless and never have a lag. If this is a good as cd rips get wireless Ill stick with my cyrus transport hoping it can be fixed in Canada. I would love to here something though as good as a transport maybe there isnt but more on convenience

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I don't recall that I said I was using the remote app, which is a different thing altogether than using airplay via a mobile device with the apple tv . It's basically a screen mirroring function and it sounds sh%#t.

not really sure how you are doing it. If it goes via your mobile device that might conceivably affect it, but I doubt it. You could try using the AirPlay button in iTunes on your computer and see if it makes a difference. Personally I use apples remote app to stream directly between the ATV and computer.

You could always try getting a cheap, decent CD player or a 2nd hand one to use as a transport.

At the time,I was wanting to stream apple music to my amp via the apple tv and Arcam ir dac and the only method available was to use my iPhone as source and connecting wirelessly via airplay which imho is inferior s/q wise compared to Spotify connect.I know I can hook up my phone straight into the dac,but then I have to get up off my lazy butt to change music, apple tv hasn't got the music app available as yet,hence the reason the remote app won't work in this case and I don't use my computer within my hi-fi set up as I can't really be bothered ripping 1300 cd's to it when I can stream them at the touch of a screen,anyway I've went back to using Spotify connect with my Amazon fire tv and it does a decent job into the dac.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I've went back to using Spotify connect with my Amazon fire tv and it does a decent job into the dac.

Does that have a remote app for iPhones?

Is it ethernet connectable (for BBC iPlayer Radio) and does it have a USB or (preferably) optical audio output to a DAC? Do I have to be logged into Amazon? Can it operate independently of a television? (Oddly enough for something called 'TV' I have no interest in that side of it.)

What gives it superior audio quality to AirPlay?

Up until a few weeks ago I was using AirPlay (in a Marantz M-CR603) and it sounded superb especially with 320K AAC content. (Even ALAC when compared with CD the couple of times I tried it.)

If I used an Apple TV (old version) or (more likely) an Airport Express with optical audio connection (to my Quad Vena's DAC) and ethernet connection to my wireless router what about the sound quality would be inherently inferior to - for example - the Amazon Fire TV?

Thanks.

(I am currently using the built-in Bluetooth on the Quad Vena - which is suprisingly better than I expected - and direct connection with Lightning - USB cable to the Quad's internal DAC.)

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
At the time,I was wanting to stream apple music to my amp via the apple tv and Arcam ir dac and the only method available was to use my iPhone as source and connecting wirelessly via airplay which imho is inferior s/q wise compared to Spotify connect.I know I can hook up my phone straight into the dac,but then I have to get up off my lazy butt to change music, apple tv hasn't got the music app available as yet,hence the reason the remote app won't work in this case and I don't use my computer within my hi-fi set up as I can't really be bothered ripping 1300 cd's to it when I can stream them at the touch of a screen,anyway I've went back to using Spotify connect with my Amazon fire tv and it does a decent job into the dac.

I'm confused, first you said you were streaming Apple lossless files from your iMac, but now you say you are using your phone as a source.

I'm puzzled as to why Apple lossless files would sound crap compared to compressed files via Spotify. I just don't feel like we are being given the full story and that perhaps something is going wrong somewhere.

Or maybe my reading comprehension skills are failing.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I never said anything about using a mac.you must have me confused with another person.

sorry, yep. You're right. All down to my reading comprehension skills. Sorry. By bad. I'm an idiot :)

Hi chebby,a few questions there.first of all the remote app is for Apple devices to use with either a mac(I think)and also apple tv can utilise it to navigate the TV screen.I believe the amazon fire tv box could be used for Spotify connect independent of a TV after it was initially set up on one but if you wanted to utilise the BBC i player functionality eg live lounge recordings and other radio associated media,it would need a TV.if you had a apple tv hard wired to your dac,it'll sound just as good or probably better than the Spotify connect app as I believe that the iTunes codec is superior to the 320 kbs max setting of Spotify.If you have apple tv (the old one with optical out)I'd be enclined to just keep hold of it as the apple music app will be with us soon,enabling us to use the remote app for streaming with a hard wired connection.the thing about the airplay and streaming from my phone to apple tv is that the files stream wirelessly to my phone and then wirelessly again to apple tv basically using a screen mirroring function and doesn't,imho sound as good as the hard wired connection option.hope I've explained well enough.

You seem to know a wee bit about this stuff Dave,would you happen to know when apple music will be available for the 3rd gen apple tv.I'm holding off renewing my apple music subscription until I'm certain of it's pending release and also think it's ridiculous of both amazon and apple omitting the optical out connection on their new boxes.there is very little inexpensive options for streaming music to a decent dac.Apart from the current aftv and atv boxes,I don't think there is much in the way of stand alone streaming units available with optical out under £500,unless anyone else on the forum know of such products,I'd be happy to hear about it.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Streaming solutions are changing virtually by the day, I was hoping that Apple music would be my destination with the new Apple TV working in a wired setup with my Macbook or iThing acting as a control.

Sadly this does not look like a solution, HDMI only out on the new ATV and the old one does not run apps so it is airplay only, in addition the whole interace, especially the search functions, in iTunes really is not that good. As soon as my free trial is over, I'm probably going back to Spotify.

Talking of which, the primary problem with the Fire TV is that it has no display, it is difficult to navigate without a TV screen if you want more than Spotify Connect functionality.

One device that has caught my eye is the Argon Stream 2, only available from HifiKlubben in Europe, this device appears to have everything including a small screen for setup and navigation. If the control app is up to the mark, this looks like a very decent solution, and currently just €99.

Yeah.it's a bit of an issue having no display as such on aftv and Apple's offering.Not too big a deal for me as my stereo and tv are in the same room,just had to get a 5mtr chord optical cable to reach the dac from the aftv.Also a bit of a bummer with no device volume control (handy for using a headphone amp)through the amazon fire tv although playstation 4 allows you this function.I'll need to look into the argon stream 2 that you mention,sounds interesting.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
Streaming solutions are changing virtually by the day, I was hoping that Apple music would be my destination with the new Apple TV working in a wired setup with my Macbook or iThing acting as a control.

Sadly this does not look like a solution, HDMI only out on the new ATV and the old one does not run apps so it is airplay only, in addition the whole interace, especially the search functions, in iTunes really is not that good. As soon as my free trial is over, I'm probably going back to Spotify.

Talking of which, the primary problem with the Fire TV is that it has no display, it is difficult to navigate without a TV screen if you want more than Spotify Connect functionality.

One device that has caught my eye is the Argon Stream 2, only available from HifiKlubben in Europe, this device appears to have everything including a small screen for setup and navigation. If the control app is up to the mark, this looks like a very decent solution, and currently just €99.

Mmhh, do they ship to the UK?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts