Streaming Movies?

CraigDS

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
Hello, I use a Linn DS to stream high quality music. I would like to know is there any products similar for movies? I would like to store all my movies on NAS drive etc and stream high quality to my TV.

A

Anonymous

Hey Craig,

The Western Digital Media Player Live is out. Allows for network streaming of movies from a NAS and outputs 1080P. I have the standard one but I will defintiely upgrade to the live.

These products are just amazing bargains for what it can play. Pretty much everything without an issue!

A

Anonymous

The main contenders at the moment are:

Popcorn Hour C200 (top of the pile but buggy and the most expensive)
Icybox
Xtreamer
Western Digital as mentioned above
Asus O'Play

I'd go for the Popcorn Hour C200. But I'm going to wait for the firmware to stabilise a bit, probably consider buying one in the new year. You might find it worth looking at YAMJ at Omertron's website. It's a piece of software you install that scans and categorises all of your media and presents it in a thumbnail format with some very funky graphics on screen. Supposed to revolutionise using a Popcorn Hour.

A

Anonymous

@ Will,

Forgive my ignorance on this matter, but can these be used to back up dvd's blu ray's etc and play direct into the TV/amp?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I am using POPCORN Hour C200 which apart from a tad slow, it is pretty good. It's very user friendly too which is a big plus point when the user is me! and yes, Dock, it will play HD files from your hard drive direct to your TV/amp. The popcorn can be fitted with Bluray optical drive too.

CraigDS

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
Thank you all for your advice. Can you point me in the direction of any stores in the UK that demo them and is there any reviews available of the products?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
CraigDS:Thank you all for your advice. Can you point me in the direction of any stores in the UK that demo them and is there any reviews available of the products?

I bought my from http://www.ripcaster.co.uk/

There is a long waiting list for the new popcorn hour though. I pimp my up with movie juke box, have a look here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6yKV1W7rYM

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello, I think some of the BlueRay players are now starting to offer this from a DLNA compliant NAS drive, I'm sure I've seen an LG that got good reviews. Of course, you'd need a computer or something to rip the disks in the first place

After my experience playing AVI via an XBox (not 360) and via the Toshiba XDE 500, (much better sound and imporved picture with the Tosh), I'm potentially looking at this route if the players are a reasonable price.

Things like the Popcorn Hour do look interesting, though, but I'm never quite sure about the AV quality. I'd be interested in any opinions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts