Streaming issues Addon C10

Jan 25, 2022
Visit site
Hello! I very recently bought an Addon C10 (largely on the magazine's review) to replace my rather elderly B&W Zeppelin. I had very few streaming issues with the Zeppelin but it is proving virtually impossible to stream either Spotify or the BBC to the C10. It will connect and then either immediately drops out and fails to reconnect or there are so many short dropouts that it becomes impossible to listen to. I have performed a factory reset a number of times and have contacted the Addon helpdesk but they haven't come up with a solution. Currently they are saying that it is an issue with my router which they say they have had many issues with. The router seems to perform all its other tasks very well and to help we have a booster in the same room that the C10 is located in without any walls between the two. I'm very disappointed with my purchase. Does anyone have any suggestions/advice? Thanks.

DCarmi

You don't say which router you have, which would help any diagnosis.
I also assume you have tried the C10 in the same room as the router? This rules out the possibility of poor signal quality affecting the streaming.

The fact you have a "booster" in the same room as the C10 is ringing alarm bells.

There also seems to be new firmware available for the C10. Do you have that installed?

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for this response. The router we have is a Virgin Hub3 and we boost the signal via a TP-Link in order to ensure I can lecture from my basement office. It did reach ok but my work wanted the reassurance. I've not tried the C10 in the same room as the router as I simply placed it in the same place as my previous wireless speaker (B&W Zeppelin ) which had no dropout issues. The C10 is newly bought and it did search for new firmware when I first set it up but I can certainly look again.

Any thoughts the community have would be hugely welcome!

DCarmi

Support telling you they have many issues with that type of router is a bit of a cop-out! Such problems should have been addressed, if they are many, and there are more than a few such routers in existence! They are manufactured by Netgear,

I have the same router and in the past I have also used boosters. Though, now I have switched to a more reliable MESH system and don't use the VM device other than as modem. I don't have a C10 but I do stream Spotify and BBC Sounds to multiple different systems (phone, Smart TV, Nest Hub, CCA, Alexa to name but a few) and have no problems, with any of them.

I'd certainly try the C10 in the same room as the router. You'd at least narrow the source of the problem down by removing the booster a potential problem. I'd also try a wired network connection to the router, if wireless fails. Again to narrow down the potential issues.

The C10 is supposed to update firmware automatically. Given you have trouble streaming, this may not have happened.

DCarmi

I had not realised that the C10 only used 2.4GHz WiFi. Even my little Chromecast Audio devices can use 5Ghz! Splitting your 2.4 and 5GHz wifi names on the router would likely help. It might also cause other irritations, though.

Going the MESH route is likely to be a more robust solution, as you will take the sub-standard VM hub out of the equation. As you are using a wifi booster, one of the more inexpensive systems would probably suffice. Cost is likely to be under £150.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts