Streaming HiFi setup

GMan220

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I've just invested in a Synology DS213+ NAS to store my vast digital library of MP3, WAV and FLAC files and I'm now looking onto the next stage of my setup which is a HiFi to do it all justice.

I'm hoping you guys will be able to help steer me in the right direction based on my limited knowledge and musical tastes.

I think I'm right in assuming I will require a streamer rather than a DAC as I don't want to have to switch my PC on to access the files and the models I've looked at based on What HiFi reviews seem to be the Marantz NA7004 and Pioneer N50.

For an amp I was considering the Marantz PM6004, Rotel RA10 or maybe even a Roksan Kandy K2 if I can cobble the extra money, if people think it will benefit my setup.

Speaker wise I'm really in the dark at the moment but I like my bassy music predominantly, but at the same time I do listen to a wide variety of music and so wouldn't want some of my other tracks to be drowned in bass.

I was wondering therefore-

1) Does anybody have either of these streamers and can comment?

2) What amplifier would you guys recommend?

3) What speakers would match?

4) Is it ok to mix my setup or would the Streamer and Amp be better suited from the same manufacturer?

any help would be much appreciated please.

GMan220

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I hadn't considered an all in one really as I wasn't sure if this would limit my options too much, plus I haven't really read many reviews on all in one systems.

i will bare that in mind though thanks.

alpne1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
As far as I am aware you dont need a streamer. Synology NAS drives are good at goind straight to DAC. Other users have stated Synology DS212 straight to rega DAC and I am going to get Synology DS213J straight to Audiolab MDac via asynchronus USB. Then from MDac to Cyrus 6A.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
richardw42 said:
Yep. I can't remember the name, but there's an app to control a Synology NAS, meaning you don't need a streamer.

yep it DS Audio

I have my NAS hardwired to my DAC controlled with the DS Audio app on my iDevice

vinylrocks

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Even if it is possible to have the NAS drive stream by itself how can you connect it with the dac? I have Naim's n-DAC and I'm very interested in how this is possible

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
vinylrocks said:
Even if it is possible to have the NAS drive stream by itself how can you connect it with the dac? I have Naim's n-DAC and I'm very interested in how this is possible

I have the Synology 212 and it can connect direct to a DAC via USB. Alternatively it will feed any DLNA compliant device via your LAN.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Xanderzdad said:
vinylrocks said:

I have the Synology 212 and it can connect direct to a DAC via USB. Alternatively it will feed any DLNA compliant device via your LAN.

thats correct, when i open DS Audio app it asks me where I want to output - my NAS or my GT50 TV

GMan220

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Well a DAC could be an option too then if the disk station can push the songs.

Any DAC recommendations over the streamer then?

Also any advice on my AMP or speaker selection to compliment please anyone?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
GMan220 said:
Well a DAC could be an option too then if the disk station can push the songs.

Any DAC recommendations over the streamer then?

Also any advice on my AMP or speaker selection to compliment please anyone?

depends what ypur budget is

T

the record spot

Went with the Onkyo TX-NR818 AV amp. Works a treat, handles streaming with ease and does the rest with aplomb. £600 heavily discounted just now. Just take your computer or an external hard drive, plug it into the 818's USB and off you jolly well go!

Oldenbroke

Mar 11, 2008
Visit site
I bought the Pioneer N50 and love it. Great sound and controlled from phone / pad (android). Currently have no NAS , stream from desktop via powerplug.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts