Question Streaming a CD player

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've been asked by someone about how to stream a CD player into a second room. The living room has a CD player and amplifier etc. and they are wanting to be able to listen to the CD player in this room as well as in the kitchen / dining room.
The obvious choice would be a Sonos port in the sitting room and a (or a pair of) Play 1 or Play 5 in the kitchen / dining room.
Is there anything else I should be considering which could stream the CD player?

Gray

Do they already have any speakers? What make and model amplifier is it? Several options are available.
Yes, exactly what, if anything, have they already got in the 2nd room?
And, as inconvenient and old fashioned as it sounds, one of those options is a wired interconnection between the rooms. (although the wiring need not even be visible......if, for example, both room locations were on either side of a dividing wall).
A much lower cost option. Would they consider that?

Last edited:

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks both for the replies.
Good questions of which I don't know the answer to either yet I'm afraid. With respect to the cabling I'm not sure if this could be done but as it's too much hassle to rip the CDs for streaming rather than stream the CD player I doubt the trouble of running cables will be on the cards!
In the sitting room there are speakers already. In the kitchen / dining room there is nothing at all at the moment. I'll try and find out what the system in the front room is.

Reactions: Gray

jjbomber

Thanks both for the replies.
. I'll try and find out what the system in the front room is.

Another option is to use one of the outputs of the amplifier or headphone output of the cd player to connect to a bluetooth transmitter, and then get suitable speakers in the kitchen to receive the signal. Once we know what the outputs are we can advise you better.

The good news is that it can be done quite easily, it's just a question of how, depending on what the system is.

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
OK. So a bit (actually a lot!) more information. I seem to have been lead up the garden path somewhat. There currently is no living room stereo as I was lead to believe so it's actually carte blanche. Apologies for the mis-information.
So something is required for the front room which plays CDs and can stream them to a unit in another room wirelesly. Budget wise we are talking more of a budget type set up rather than a Naim Uniti Star and Muso combo...
Front room is about 4m x 4m. Kitchen / diner is open plan through to a conservatory so a fairly large space to fill.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts