Streamer User Interface

Mr Compo

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking to expand my set-up with a streamer. I'll probably end up using the streamer only as a transport with a separate DAC, as such the sound quality of the streamer is less important provided it has digital outputs.

Which streamers do people consider to have good user interfaces, UI? I'll most likely use my IPhone to control. The obvious contenders are the Squeezebox Touch and Sonos - with the Squeezebox having the advantage of being able to cope with hi-res music. I played with the Squeezebox app for Iphone at the weekend and was underwhelmed it seeming glitchy on the sales reps phone.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Logitech's own apps for iOS/Android aren't great & are bettered by 3rd party offerings (IMO), but they do stick closer to the actual interface on the Touch. I use iPeng on an old 2g iPod Touch & it works well within the limits of the server software.

I've said before that the user interface is one of the most important aspects of a streamer, yet is almost completely ignored in reviews. :?

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
iPeng is probably the first choice for iOS with Squeeze Commander being the nearest equivalent for Android. There's also Squeeze Pad for the iPad.

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
>What are these 3rd party apps. <

On the iTunes app store. I prefer Sqeezepad on iPad, where I find iPeng UI non-obvious. However, I have iPeng on iPhone! Go figure.

Also have a couple of dedicated Squeezebox Controller, which are being sold off for £49. Can't fault the Sonos CR200 controller...you pay, you get ;)

TRENDING THREADS