Streamer help

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Anyone know anything about Arcam's new ST5 streamer and whether it's comparable to the Cambridge Audio CXN V2 or MXN10? And What Hi Fi, are you planning a review anytime soon? :)

I've just bought the A5 amp, is there any benefit in system matching?

Last edited:

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
ok cool, thanks. so the arcam A5 amp and ST5 streamer share the same DAC. is that going to be beneficial?

CA CXN V2 no longer available (in black) otherwise a no brainer.

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
really helpful bit of info for anyone reading this thread!

The benefits of the a dedicated streamer over a Bluetooth connection is a dedicated power supply asd circuitry around the DAC chip and the output stage of the analogue output, additionally Bluetooth is a lossy method of streaming audio - it's throwing away what frequencies the codec is deciding we can't hear, also notifications on your ,mobile device will also be transmitted and audible.
A streamer will pull the stream from the service and have dedicated control. Although Spotify is also a lossy service only offering 320kbps MP3 audio streams, on high end systems the difference between MP3 and CD quality is noticeable, the differences between CD quality and HiRes audio are smaller.

Messiah

Notifications on your ,mobile device will also be transmitted and audible.
Whilst this is true, it is easy to overcome this with 'Do Not Disturb' mode (I would imagine most mobiles have this).

That mode can also be configured to allow important messages/calls through.

Perhaps not as neat as bypassing completely with a dedicated streamer but it does the job.

Reactions: nopiano

Juzzie Wuzzie

Given the amp has digital inputs and a (I expect, half decent) DAC would you not just get a streaming transport and feed into the amp? I guess it all depends on what you are after in your streamer / combination and what you want to spend?

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Given the amp has digital inputs and a (I expect, half decent) DAC would you not just get a streaming transport and feed into the amp? I guess it all depends on what you are after in your streamer / combination and what you want to spend?
i guess just to maximise sound quality. if a streamer is better than bluetooth, i'll get a streamer. cambridge audio MXN10 is at a good price point to be honest. but the arcam ST5 (£800) also doable. but no reviews available as is so new to the market.

Last edited:

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
The thing I liked about the MXN10 was that it had four preset buttons on front - which I liked ... but wasn't in black, so OCD kicked in. I ultimately went down the WiiM path as beyond Spotify Connect and Radio Paradise, I don't need much.
haha, know exactly what you mean about the colour! in that respect the Audiolab 6000N Play could be an option. sound quality appears to be great, but a slightly ropey app. but i only use Spotify so not an issue. would also sit neatly under the amp!

doifeellucky

Just get a Wiim Mini or Pro. The pro has Ethernet, Chromecast and an optical input. I connect my TV into mine. If these are not useful just get the Mini. Avoid the Cambridge, Arcam and particularly the Audiolab. They are way over priced for what they offer, especially aa your amp has a DAC. The 6000N uses Play-Fi and should be avoided at all costs.

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Just get a Wiim Mini or Pro. The pro has Ethernet, Chromecast and an optical input. I connect my TV into mine. If these are not useful just get the Mini. Avoid the Cambridge, Arcam and particularly the Audiolab. They are way over priced for what they offer, especially aa your amp has a DAC. The 6000N uses Play-Fi and should be avoided at all costs.
probably a good shout. £800 for an Arcam streamer that has the same DAC as its amps does seems a bit pointless.

Reactions: Gray

podknocker

also, if two different streamers use the same ESS sabre DAC, are they likely to deliver the same, or very similar sound quality?
I think it's like 2 car companies using he same engine. You have very different experiences, not because of the engine, but all the peripheral components and packaging. I think you'd struggle to hear the DAC in either of these devices. The ancillary circuits will have more of an influence on the overall sound.

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
I think it's like 2 car companies using he same engine. You have very different experiences, not because of the engine, but all the peripheral components and packaging. I think you'd struggle to hear the DAC in either of these devices. The ancillary circuits will have more of an influence on the overall sound.
haha, nice analogy.

Scottm_dj

Nov 17, 2023
Visit site
There's something about the Cambridge I just don't understand. Up until the MXN/AXN (which finally updated) they used a Wolfson DAC that is over TWELVE years old (!!). I mean come on guys I'm all for country unity (both British), but this is the same Wolf 8740 that was in my Cambridge Blu-ray player from 2011... so I just don't understand how it could have such exemplary sound quality today. I know the DAC isn't everything but it's certainly a big part of it,...so what am I missing with the CXN?

Reactions: bartlett23

podknocker

There's something about the Cambridge I just don't understand. Up until the MXN/AXN (which finally updated) they used a Wolfson DAC that is over TWELVE years old (!!). I mean come on guys I'm all for country unity (both British), but this is the same Wolf 8740 that was in my Cambridge Blu-ray player from 2011... so I just don't understand how it could have such exemplary sound quality today. I know the DAC isn't everything but it's certainly a big part of it,...so what am I missing with the CXN?
You are right, the DAC isn't everything. I had a Philips CD473 bought in 1988 and it had a TDA1541 DAC and sounded superb. It's not always about the DAC and it 's not always about having the latest chips etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts