Streamer DAC yes or no

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

shadders

Is it worth spending a lot on a audio streamer if your going to use a separate external DAC ? .
And if it's not worth spending a lot because you are using your own DAC which audio steamer would you purchase ?.
Hi,
My personal approach is to keep things separate, such that if something goes wrong, then the entire unit is not required to be replaced.

I have a Dune Base HD 3D streaming unit, and use its optical output to my audio processor. If the Dune goes wrong, then i will replace with a Raspberry Pi solution, which is cheap.

A separate DAC in your example means you can change the DAC to obtain a different sound or other, if so required.

My recommendation for a streamer is the raspberry Pi as it is flexible, upgradeable in terms of software, and there are many software solutions available too.

Regards,
Shadders.

Tinman1952

It was actually cheapaudioman who I think had the global exclusive first review, and more recently 13th Note Hi-Fi, but he’s a bit of an idiot just trying to ride the crest of that particular wave.

I’d like to try it, as I’m fairly happy, but not blown away by, my Zen DAC V2. I’ve seen a few others who have praised its sound quality, but I’m not sure I’d notice a significant improvement. It feels like it should be more in the £250-300 region for what it offers.

What were you using before?
Yes I saw that CAM review. If I remember correctly he liked it but couldn't see the 'added value' over a RPi type solution.
I think what he missed was the iFi noise cancelling built in to the USB output, the iFi iPurifier technology built in to the co-ax output, the high precision clocks used and the 'audiophile' quality components used in the circuit.
The iFi iPurifier USB on its own costs £149 and the iFi SPDIF purifier is £199 when bought separately!
It also uses a customised version of Volumio which he loves!

If you look at products like the Sonore microrendu, as well as the SOTM and Lindemann products I mentioned previously the Zen Stream is actually a bit of a bargain....🙂

Reactions: doifeellucky

shipworm-archaism-recede

Nov 29, 2021
Visit site
Hi,
I was referring to DAC's as opposed to interfacing. Should have been more specific.

Regards,
Shadders.
Thanks for clarifying.

I think I'm taking this thread a bit off topic now (sorry mods), but I've been looking at HiFiBerry products as an inexpensive way to bring a second analogue stereo system into my collection of AirPlay devices. Since I'm not really interested in any of the other streaming-related services (Roon, Tidal, Qobuz, Amazon, Spotify etc), the commercial streamers seem an expensive way of doing what I want.

It's a pity everything seems to be out of stock at the moment.

Reactions: shadders

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I am just now using the Node ( not the Node 2) .On Tidal HIFI Plus . Works great , amplified thru Objective O2 to Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro .Sounds awesome . For the money i spent absolutely great .I plan to use it also to the other system ( the loudspeaker/amp one) but I am not using that one for now.
So , yes for this streamer , used with a good HIFI streaming service

Peter227

Jul 25, 2020
Visit site
Is it worth spending a lot on a audio streamer if your going to use a separate external DAC ? .
And if it's not worth spending a lot because you are using your own DAC which audio steamer would you purchase ?.

Hi,

I use CXN v2: streamer + DAC + PreAmp - it is really great.
It worth the money.

Regards,
P

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts