Streamer DAC yes or no

aversaurus

Is it worth spending a lot on a audio streamer if your going to use a separate external DAC ? .
And if it's not worth spending a lot because you are using your own DAC which audio steamer would you purchase ?.

shipworm-archaism-recede

Nov 29, 2021
Visit site
If you haven’t watched/read them, you might find Darko’s posts about Raspberry Pi-based streamers interesting. He contrasts using separate DACs with those built in.

Based on those, I think I would build my own because it is very cheap—if I weren’t so into Apple that is.

Reactions: shadders and Gray

nads

It all depends on the streamer and DAC you are looking at. I found the DACMagic (original) did nothing when added to my squeesbox Touch. Not tried any other DACs since.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I use a primare np5 prisma( Dac-less ) it works very well. I use it through my network though , I'm not interested in the airplay or Bluetooth performance of the prisma though as tidal or Qubuz basically stream from your mobile device and it doesn't deliver gapless playback, this might be a issue for some users. Spotify connect is present and correct though.

Last edited:

shipworm-archaism-recede

Nov 29, 2021
Visit site
I think it’s all down to budget and preference. If you’re thinking ~£600 (node money), that’s nice DAC territory.

In my, admittedly limited, experience you are considering minor differences between options. You’re not going to be making a mistake whatever you choose.

I love convenience, so I went down the Apple route. £169 for an Apple TV 4K that streams video and audio is a cheap cost-effective option. It upscales everything to 48kHz, but I put USB into the separate DAC from an iPad or Mac from the same streaming source for the occasions where that might make a difference.

Unless you want the neatness or are happy to replace often, I think separate components are the way forward.

Will be really interesting to read what you decide on. I hope you post it here.

doifeellucky

Another member on the forum recently indicated that they couldn’t hear a difference between the Node’s internal DAC and their Denafrips Ares II.

Some reviewers have suggested the Zen Stream offers a noticeable sonic improvement over the Node, but others have had significant issues with the Stream to the point of it not being usable.

I’m still using a Chromecast Audio and have thought about getting the latest Node, but some better speakers would probably give a more noticeable upgrade.

dkontos

Apr 24, 2021
Visit site
I've been looking at the ifzen streamer looks like what I'm after as I have a good separate DAC and as far as I can tell it would stream straight to it
I have installed the Ifi Zen Stream , through ethernet, and it runs perfectly...!!! It has Tidal-Connect ( very important for me as I use Tidal), MQA, and the sound quality is really very good...!!!

TenTonTarantula

Aug 17, 2021
Visit site
I feel like this is one of those questions that comes down to how resolving your system is. My working presumption is that if like most of us you're working with mid-fi components, the DAC should take precedent and the streamer should be more about offering the functionality you need.

I had a chromecast and Schiit Modi 3, then bought the latest Bluesound Node which i then route everything else through to use its (improved) internal DAC... eventually when the rest of the system is worth the investment I'll maybe upgrade to an external DAC and use the BS just as a streamer. I don't know if i'll ever spend enough to validate upgrading to a better standalone streamer however.

Reactions: Tinman1952

doifeellucky

If you are talking about the Head Fi thread, that is a few people who had the wrong power supply and one individual who contradicts himself at every post!
They have sold THOUSANDS of these devices.....
It was actually cheapaudioman who I think had the global exclusive first review, and more recently 13th Note Hi-Fi, but he’s a bit of an idiot just trying to ride the crest of that particular wave.

I’d like to try it, as I’m fairly happy, but not blown away by, my Zen DAC V2. I’ve seen a few others who have praised its sound quality, but I’m not sure I’d notice a significant improvement. It feels like it should be more in the £250-300 region for what it offers.

What were you using before?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts