Streamer dac one box solution?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You cant expectation bias a microphone IMark, its all there for you if you want to go and listen - I dont encourage anyone to buy anything just on my word, I encourage them to go and listen and make their own mind up and take matters into their own hands and be proactive with their own systems sound quality and ultimately the hobby overall.

Thats also why I do recordings - if you think it sounds good via this medium you can pretty much guarantee it will sound very good to you in real life. If it doesnt it probably wont do and your time and money is saved.

iMark

ellisdj said:
You cant expectation bias a microphone IMark, its all there for you if you want to go and listen - I dont encourage anyone to buy anything just on my word, I encourage them to go and listen and make their own mind up and take matters into their own hands and be proactive with their own systems sound quality and ultimately the hobby overall.

Thats also why I do recordings - if you think it sounds good via this medium you can pretty much guarantee it will sound very good to you in real life. If it doesnt it probably wont do and your time and money is saved.

It won't change anything. Microphones have their own colouring. The room where the equipment is used colours the music. A lot of this stuff is down to expectation bias: you paid a lot of money for obscure cables so they must have some effect. It's an approach from the wrong angle. HiFi should give you the best possible representation of the original recording because the original recording can't be improved on. So the best thing you can expect from equipment is not to alter/deteriote the original. Power cables, interconnects and speaker cables only play a minute role in this whole proces.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
IMark - its the same room, same microphones, same system used for the recordings and same mics thats used in studios BTW - if they are good enough for that job.

The room doesnt add any signature actually (Ultra low RT60 inc bass) and the speaker freq reponse is nailed down as well so there is no discrepancy there.

Any audible differences in the recordings are real and will be magnified in real life - if you can hear it in the recordings there is Nothing false about it. You can hear it.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I like the look at that myself

its £800 uses the same top end DAC that the Oppo 205 uses and a OLED screen and top build quality with balanced XLR inputs as well but bad points are you have to pay extra for the remote control or you could use the app that Oppo provides and what Hifi thought the Cambridge was better at a £100 cheaper then the Oppo and you get a remote with the Cambridge too .

iMark

ellisdj said:
IMark - its the same room, same microphones, same system used for the recordings and same mics thats used in studios BTW - if they are good enough for that job.

The room doesnt add any signature actually (Ultra low RT60 inc bass) and the speaker freq reponse is nailed down as well so there is no discrepancy there.

Any audible differences in the recordings are real and will be magnified in real life - if you can hear it in the recordings there is Nothing false about it. You can hear it.

But you still haven't tackled the problem of expectation bias.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
iMark said:
ellisdj said:
IMark - its the same room, same microphones, same system used for the recordings and same mics thats used in studios BTW - if they are good enough for that job.

The room doesnt add any signature actually (Ultra low RT60 inc bass) and the speaker freq reponse is nailed down as well so there is no discrepancy there.

Any audible differences in the recordings are real and will be magnified in real life - if you can hear it in the recordings there is Nothing false about it.  You can hear it.

But you still haven't tackled the problem of expectation bias.

Thats right but if you listen you will hear it. That means everytime you listen you hear it. Thats what we do with hifi we listen to it repeatedly so hearing better sound every time you listen to your hifi is a win isnt it?

I think the hobby has some scientific unreliability as a major part of it. i.e you can double abx blind test every piece of kit but the first time you listen to that system sighted your opinion of it is biased and every time after that.

I understand companies using the method as a means to getting to the bottom of what people like to hear on mass to make products to cater for that which is how its been used. Soon as customers listen to it sighted that all goes out the window really.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
one could also argue that the person that buys their products from the company that has done all that abx blind testing to make products that actually sound good and knows they have done this is actually under the largest form of influnced bias every time they listen to it.
cant win in this regard with hifi

iMark

ellisdj said:
one could also argue that the person that buys their products from the company that has done all that abx blind testing to make products that actually sound good and knows they have done this is actually under the largest form of influnced bias every time they listen to it. cant win in this regard with hifi

There are some principles however that are always true. That's why electronic engineers generally cut through all the BS. In music reproduction it's much more important to look at the recording side. A rubbish recording will sound like rubbish on a good kit. With good kit you immediately run into the law of diminishing returns. The more money you throw at the kit, the more minute the returns will be. There is no way that gold plated USB cables can make a difference of night and day or lift veils. At best they do no harm to the sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts