Streamer and Sound Quality

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Is the sound quality from a streamer irrelevant if the plan is to connect to an external DAC - say the Audiolab (WHF award winner)?

I ask as I am torn between using a Sonos streamer or a Squeezebox - the review by WHF suggests the Sonos produces a better sound however, the Squeezebox supports all formats. I refer you to my opening questions - does sound quality matter if the plan is to use an external DAC?

Cheers,
Kub

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
IME, there's no discernable difference between the digital transports I've used into the same DAC. The main way in which digital sources vary is how much jitter they produce, however, DACs these days are very good at rejecting jitter.

I'm using a Squeezebox Touch and I'm very happy with it but Sonos have a very good reputation too. The main differences are that Sonos devices create their own (mesh) network whilst Squeezebox devices use your existing wireless (or wired) network. The other difference is the range of devices each manufacturer offers - Sonos offer a wider range of (more expensive) products. Also, if you want multi-media rather than just audio, don't forget Apple.

My advice is to go for the product that suits in terms of cost, usability, file support, devices available, etc., rather than worry about SQ.

IMO, both ranges make offerings from the traditional hi-fi manufacturers look overpriced.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Kubs said:
Is the sound quality from a streamer irrelevant if the plan is to connect to an external DAC - say the Audiolab (WHF award winner)? I ask as I am torn between using a Sonos streamer or a Squeezebox - the review by WHF suggests the Sonos produces a better sound however, the Squeezebox supports all formats. I refer you to my opening questions - does sound quality matter if the plan is to use an external DAC? Cheers, Kub

The effect of the digital source depends on several factors, one of the biggest being the design of the DAC.

I doubt an M-DAC would sound better (or even different) through Sonos v Squeezebox assuming the same connection type and cabling. If anything, I'd put my money on the SB sounding better, judging by the number of people on other forums who are very satisfied with the SB/M-DAC combo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts