STR-DA2400ESB in stock here!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks,

Having investigated the various <£400 models available late last year, I had my heart set on getting a STR-DA2400ES following all the positive feedback I'd seen from the a/v community. Unfortunately I just couldn't afford it back then. I found out yesterday that they were painfully short on stock and spotted that Amazon claimed to have some. I ordered one immediately and it was all going swimmingly until I phoned earlier on today and customer services told me there are actually none in stock and they have no idea when they may be getting any more. :(

I've scoured the web frantically searching for any remaining stock and it looks pretty bleak to say the least. With this in mind, I was wondering what you might reccommend as a substitute amp around the same price and spec.

What's important to me are the following:

Compatible with all standard/new HD audio formats

min of 3x HDMI inputs

Video upscaling - 1080p/full HD compatible

Needs to be 7.1 capable

I have the first generation KEF eggs & sub to power with the thing btw and will be using it with my 40" Bravia and PS3 as blu-ray player. I also do lots of gaming on Xbox360 on same rig. Listening to music comes a definite second to watching films on this amp, so I'm not too fussed if it doesn't shine when playing tunes but want a great hd-audio (blu-ray) performance.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm in a real quandry at the moment. My backup was going to be the Yamaha DSP-AX863SE, but apparently I missed the boat on that one too!

Cheers

Si

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, this advert at Superfi suggests they have the 2400ES in stock...

However, in case that's not true, if movies are most important, I would definitely look into one of the Onkyos at that price range. I would definitely demo first though since a lot of people have been unhappy with the 606 for music so it's worth making sure it's acceptable for you before parting with cash.

A

Anonymous

I'm in the same position...

Can't decide between the 2400ES or Onkyo or even a Harmon Kardon 355 which was recommended to me at RS. It is primarily for my bluray movie sound and my Sky HD TV sound. It will probably never be used with my CD player...although can't ever rule that out I suppose.

It will being partnered with my BDP-S550 and a new speaker package which will more than likely be the KEF 2005.3 or perhaps the 1005.2. Although that isn't set in stone and I have been reading impressive reviews of the Jamo A102HCS5. My room is approx 4m x 4m.

Just to confirm the 2400ES is in stock at Superfi at £440.

Do you know of any places where I could demo any or all of these set ups? For quite a small budget would a retailer be willing to set this up for me to demo?

A

Anonymous

I did it! I managed to find somewhere that does actually have the 2400ES in stock!

I phoned to reserve one first thing this morning (Sat) and then spent nearly 2 hours in the car going to:

'Total Digital' in Birmingham

When I got there it was no-nonsense from the staff which was great. I executed a swift transaction and then it was pedal to the metal all the way home. I set it up earlier today and have been enjoying the results ever since! Can't reccomend it enough. And it plays nice with my Bravia TV (using the HDMI control features in particular) and my PS3 (set to LPCM btw). :)

***They still had another approx. 6 units in stock when I left the shop and they have it at £433 which is a tad bit cheaper than other outlets claiming to still have stock.

Hope you can get one if you're able to get over to B'ham.

Good luck to all in same boat as I was! :)

Si

b33k34

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Note that the upscaling is only of component to HDMI (or i think component to component) - it will NOT upscale HDMI sources. A great amp with a terrible manual - you'll spend a lot of time trying to work out what some of the settings do.

A

Anonymous

I'd have to agree on the manual front. It's vague, poorly worded and confusing to say the least. Having said that I've got the amp singing beautifully already, so I'm well chuffed! (With a community as informative as What Hi Fi forums, people shouldn't let a confusing manual put them off. Just post here and I'm sure the community will help you out.)

I was quite surprised at how much difference I was able to hear in the extended HD-audio tracks (DTS-HD MA/Dolby TrueHD) on my blu-rays. It certainly adds another level of sound to my ears.

Thanks for the tip on the upscaling. I already knew that's how it worked myself, but this will no doubt be useful to other potential buyers. :)

Si

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts