Stop hiss from laptop headphones!?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I get a terrible hiss when listening to music on my dell laptop using headphones! What is the best affordable way to avoid this hiss and improve the sound quality? It is mainly for listening to spotify / iplayer in work with £20 earbuds and £100 cans at a low volume. I don't need anything special, just something reasonable.

I came across the "FiiO E7 USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier" on Amazon for £65. Is this the kind of thing I should consider buying?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003VO75V4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d1_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=037HNWHN19M1X7HS73CK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

If so, has anybody here used this device? Are there any alternatives I should consider. I do not want to go above this £65 price point.

Many thanks for your advice .

Conor

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, it's noise from elsewhere in the computer - usually the power supply - being picked by the internal headphone amp; you may well find it decreases if you disconnect the mains and run the computer off its internal batteries.

The use of a USB DAC/headphone amp should circumvent this noise, but we have had instances of noise coming through the USB connection and causing problems, although admittedly they're relatively rare.

Haven't tried that particular USB DAC Headphone Amp myself, so can't really comment on it, although I am sure other users will be along who have. But you can always buy it and try it, and return it if it doesn't solve the problem.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Do you have an optical out? If so, you can electrically isolate the source (laptop) from the rest of your kit by using an optical connection. This may solve your issue.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
lambconor:

I came across the "FiiO E7 USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier" on Amazon for £65. Is this the kind of thing I should consider buying?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003VO75V4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d1_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=037HNWHN19M1X7HS73CK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

If so, has anybody here used this device? Are there any alternatives I should consider. I do not want to go above this £65 price point.

I have recently purchased the FiiO E7 from Amazon and can recommend it from experience to-date. The sound is very close to the quality of the iBasso D2 Boa I have been using for almost 2yrs, and it is over £100 cheaper! No hissing (unless you really boost the volume up) and no crackles, etc. The sound loses what I consider an overly bright and brittle sound (essentially sterile) direct from the Dell laptop I use. I am really pleased with it on the whole.