Stop gap sub-woofer

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I've seen a second-hand Jamo SW410-E for sale, apparently working, but I can't find any reviews of it at all, which isn't that surprising, they must be at least 5 years old by now, it's only £40 and I was thinking of getting to temporarily fill in the bottom end until I replace all the speakers.

Currently I'm running subless with KEF Cresta 2's and the Cresta Centre off an old Sony STR-930 amp do clearly there isn't much bottom end, which has never really bothered me that much, however eventually the amp will be replaced by the Pioneer SC-LX82 and an as yet undetermined speaker package, which WILL feature a sub.

Really what I'm trying to achieve is to get the missus used to having another black box in the living room, so she doesn't complain too much when the new stuff comes in. At the moment she can't work out what I need it for!

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knew what these were like? I'm not expecting a great deal at all really, we don't listen to things that loud, so ultimate extension doesn't really matter, but I'd like to know it isn't going to be a complete waste of money.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
For £40 my only criteria would be that it works. If it does then it seems like a good idea. You don't spend much, she gets used to another box in the lounge, you both get more slam from your movies.

One thing you could do is try to find the ugliest biggest sub you can, then when the time comes to get your 'proper' stuff, you can take her round all the stores showing her more big, ugly subs, before pointing out the PV1 and say something along the lines of, "Well there is this one here, it's a little bit dearer than the others, but if you think it looks better I don't mind splashing out".
emotion-4.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:
For £40 my only criteria would be that it works. If it does then it seems like a good idea. You don't spend much, she gets used to another box in the lounge, you both get more slam from your movies.

Yeah that's a fair point, I won't be using it for music, so that won't matter so much.

One thing you could do is try to find the ugliest biggest sub you can, then when the time comes to get your 'proper' stuff, you can take her round all the stores showing her more big, ugly subs, before pointing out the PV1 and say something along the lines of, "Well there is this one here, it's a little bit dearer than the others, but if you think it looks better I don't mind splashing out".
emotion-4.gif

And this is quite a big black box, it doesn't have much going for it looks-wise, although the finish matches my current speakers, ie cheap looking!
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts