Still worth buying buying a decent CD player in these computer-based times ?

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Hey folks.

I'm currently thinking of replacing my ageing Rotel 951 CD player, which has done me proud for a decade or so (and was bought unheard on the basis of it's WHF review"), with an Arcam CD192. It seems a bargain at it's current £499 price, and would match my A85 nicely. But I'm wondering whether it's really worth it, or if I'm better off keeping the money and investing in some sort of streaming audio player and (if necessary) external DAC.

I appreciate the CD192 has a pretty decent dac, and would probably give better sound than a streamer/dac combo at an equivalent price, but I'm thinking also of the practical aspects. I've just knocked together 5 Ikea CD racks to house my CD collection, only to find that the other half's job is taking us to a nicer area, and therefore a much smaller house. So maybe if I could lose the CD cases it'd go down well with the missus. But if I lose sound quality that'll not go down well with me!

I read Ashley's opinions on his site with interest, and my own experimentations with streaming music through my consoles didn't sound too bad at all. But I'm curious to hear what others think of my dilemma, and what they plan to do in their own systems.

Thanks for any advice offered
emotion-2.gif

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
I was in Smiths today browsing the new hi-fi mags (as you do) and one of them has a group test of budget cdps featuring the CA 640C v2 (£250), Pioneer something or other (£350), Audiolab... er... (£350, my memory isn't what it was) and the Rotel RC-06. The £350 Rotel came out on top out of that group.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Care to elaborate anyone?

Better quality? More convenient not involving PC? Less faffing abour ripping stuff? Looks better on the rack?

Go on...
emotion-1.gif

gpi: ? Wrong thread maybe ?!
emotion-1.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="bigblue235"]Care to elaborate anyone?[/quote]

Sound quality.

[quote user="bigblue235"]gpi: ? Wrong thread maybe ?! [/quote]

Agreed - Tales from the Public Library is over there. Just be wary of the shadows...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gpi"]...swims off skulking with his fin between his... ?[/quote]

That'll teach you for trying to be helpful ;- )

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="bigblue235"]Care to elaborate anyone?[/quote]

Sound quality.

[quote user="bigblue235"]gpi: ? Wrong thread maybe ?! [/quote]

Agreed - Tales from the Public Library is over there. Just be wary of the shadows...

[/quote]

Very cryptic... I haven't even looked over there since, oh, two years ago.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="gpi"]Just passing on a good alternative to the Arcam and may buy a few CDs with the change.[/quote]

Ah right, I thought you'd posted in the wrong place as you were referring to hi-fi "mags", rather than just the one
emotion-5.gif

I dunno what you're getting at with the two times reference though? I asked a question that was answered in a fairly basic manner, so I asked the posters to elaborate. Whassa matta with that ?!
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

you should read the "i wish mp3 was never born" thread, just about everyones opinion on this subject is covered

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Ah, thanks for the helpful tip.

I assumed that thread was all about how little people liked MP3's, as the title suggested.

Shall read it now, and if no-one makes a direct comparison between a CD192 and a streaming system I'll be very disappointed
emotion-1.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
CD players - at all prices - still have the capacity to surprise me with their abilties for the money.

While new products- be they computer, system or hi-fi separate variety - can make the music you love sound fresh and envigorating, why stop exploring the possibilties?

It's ridiculous to say there's one solution.... Find something you and your music love, enjoy it, and then when you have time/money/desire to try something new, go for it.

(Though I still wouldn't go for the RCD-06. Love Rotel, but the CD player can be bested...try Marantz or NAD at the same price, or that CA)

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Clare, much appreciated, and exactly the sort of thing I hoped for when making the thread. Thought of a career in journalism?
emotion-1.gif

Having read that MP3 thread, I'm only a little further forward, as it seemed to descend into PC vs Mac arguments that I'm more used to on IT forums.

If I buy the CD player, it will be the CD192, mind already made up. If I go the streaming route I'll need to read up on DAC's.

Maybe I'll just see if the gaffer needs any shoes or handbags. Then hopefully in the post-shop excitement I may be given freedom to go for the CD192 and a squeezebox of some sort...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="bigblue235"]Maybe I'll just see if the gaffer needs any shoes or handbags. Then hopefully in the post-shop excitement I may be given freedom to go for the CD192 and a squeezebox of some sort...[/quote]

Now that is a good idea. ;-)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
CD players - at all prices - still have the capacity to surprise me with their abilties for the money.

While new products- be they computer, system or hi-fi separate variety - can make the music you love sound fresh and envigorating, why stop exploring the possibilties?

It's ridiculous to say there's one solution.... Find something you and your music love, enjoy it, and then when you have time/money/desire to try something new, go for it.

(Though I still wouldn't go for the RCD-06. Love Rotel, but the CD player can be bested...try Marantz or NAD at the same price, or that CA)

[/quote] I demo'd my speakers with the RCD06 and my current disc player is a lot better as is the Pioneer PD-D6-J. I haven't listened to the others mentioned but the Rotel was disappointing and the most expensive.

A

Anonymous

I don't know. The quite like the 192 but consider what DACs you could buy for that money and use with your computer.
This thread may be relevant:
http://whathifi.com/forums/p/6387/35498.aspx

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="bigblue235"]
[quote user="gpi"]Just passing on a good alternative to the Arcam and may buy a few CDs with the change.[/quote]

Ah right, I thought you'd posted in the wrong place as you were referring to hi-fi "mags", rather than just the one
emotion-5.gif

I dunno what you're getting at with the two times reference though? I asked a question that was answered in a fairly basic manner, so I asked the posters to elaborate. Whassa matta with that ?!
emotion-4.gif

[/quote]

We seem to be at crossed purposes here. Read your thread title again. (just my little attempt at humour).

As for mentioning other mags, why not? Is it a pre-requisite to only give opinions found in the pages of WHFSAV because this is their forum? I have seen a lot of posts where members have mentioned reviews by other mags.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="gpi"] We seem to be at crossed purposes here. Read your thread title again. (just my little attempt at humour)[/quote]

No probs, but I still don't get it... blame the hangover
emotion-1.gif

As for mentioning other mags, why not? Is it a pre-requisite to only give opinions found in the pages of WHFSAV because this is their forum? I have seen a lot of posts where members have mentioned reviews by other mags.

And that was my attempt at humour, I guess neither of us are that funny
emotion-1.gif

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Funny like how? Funny like I amuse you?....
emotion-4.gif

It must be true that people don't see their own written mistakes. You have written 'buying' twice, hence Johnnie two-times.
emotion-1.gif

Now what was this thread about... ;o)

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="gpi"]It must be true that people don't see their own written mistakes. You have written 'buying' twice, hence Johnnie two-times.
emotion-1.gif
[/quote]

Ah, "I see" said the blind man
emotion-1.gif
And not before time...
emotion-10.gif

Now what was this thread about... ;o)

Ach, summat about CD players and PC's... I think I'll just buy the CD192!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts