Still confused

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ive just come back from looking at Tv's and im still confused.

Ive looked at the Sony KDL40W3000 at the sony shop which was showing a SD DVD and looked terrible when i looked at SKY HD (sky sports) i saw motion blur on the football and the picture still didn't impress me that much.I didnt get to see any Blu-Ray on this Tv as the sales guy told me the picture would be the same as the KDL40X3500 which was Showing a Blu-Ray film (that picture did impress me).Not sure about that??

He also told me not to get a Plasma Tv as they are bad for playing games on as you get image burn acording to him that's why sony don't make plasma tvs.Is this true?

I also looked at the Panasonic TH42PZ70B and although i was impressed with the picture on HD and SD i still noticed some Blurring around the players numbers on there shirts when they where running(sky sports HD).Also the staff couldn't tell me anything about 24 fps.They just said it didn't matter!

I looked at a Samsung LE40M87BDX and was amazed at the picture quality on both SD & HD in my opinion it showed a better picture than both the other tvs.

It has left me with some questions.

Does 24fps matter?

Does 100hz matter?

Do plasma televisions get screen burn with games?

Is the Sony tv Much better(£500 better!) than the samsung and im just a victim of poor set up?(in a sony shop of all places)

Why is the Samsung only rated a 4 star tv in What Hi Fi what are the bad points?

A

Anonymous

The probelm is unless you get to compare all the sets side by side with the same source(s) you never can tell. Curys/Comet etal just dont think about this when they set out their demo area so you get sky HD on a plasma and blu ray on a TFT how the heck are you supposed to do a proper comparison? Maybe thats the point, put blu ray on the most expensive set (or the one they have most stock of) and its bound to sell!

zwanchef

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
your confused...join the club !

i ve been looking around & reading reviews on 37"ers and although i have narrowed my choices down i still cant decide !

the problem arises when you get conflicting reviews, have a scout arround and you will see what i meen.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="HopAlong"]Does 24fps matter?[/quote]

Only if you're going to play a lot of movies from a high-def player able to output 24fps video, and even then some 'non-24fps' sets seem to handle this very well indeed.

[quote user="HopAlong"]Does 100hz matter?[/quote]

Nope, not a bit.

[quote user="HopAlong"]Do plasma televisions get screen burn with games?[/quote]

For my views on that, see my answer in this thread.

[quote user="HopAlong"]Is the Sony tv much better(£500 better!) than the samsung and im just a victim of poor set up?(in a sony shop of all places)

Why is the Samsung only rated a 4 star tv in What Hi Fi what are the bad points?[/quote]

You'll have to get the reviewers to answer that one, but it sounds like the Sony was badly demonstrated in the Sony shop, which is unforgivable.

zwanchef

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Welli have finaly done it....been out and picked up a Toshiba 40 XF from currys £999.00 i hpe its the bargain it appears !

Magazine review swung it for me ...it looks fantastic,i'll let you know what its like as soon as i have set it up

cheers for now

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your answers Andrew i finally decided to go for the samsung le40m86 i went back to comet today to have another look and i got them to hook up a Blu-Ray dvd player and i was more than happy with the picture.So i came home and ordered it online for £749 plus free delivery at that price its a real bargain.

A

Anonymous

HopAlong, you could have saved yourself some time and got the tv at the Comet shop for the web price - the shop will match their own web price.

This is what I did at Comet before Christmas. I too couldn't decide which tv to go for and eventually narrowed it down to the 37" Samsung and (late entry) Philips 37pfl5522D which were both within my price budget (web prices). I thought the picture quality on both, in the shop, was equally good.

What swung it for me in favour of the Philips was the sound quality. I compared the two side by side in the shop and the Samsung sound was tinny and frankly awful.

The only gripe I have about the Philips is that it doesn't have a VGA input to enable me to view from my laptop but I don't think many tv's do have such a socket. My laptop has limited outputs (only VGA, ethernet & USB) and I don't have any sources (e.g. dvd recorder) with HDMI outputs. Otherwise I am very pleased with the Philips.

Does someone out there have any ideas on how I could hook up my laptop (Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro) to the tv ????

(Philips support staff couldn't help nor could Sky - my Sky + box has a VGA socket but I was told it's only for connecting a gamong controller).

Gazstone

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="HopAlong"]Why is the Samsung only rated a 4 star tv in What Hi Fi what are the bad points?[/quote]

We deleted a star because the Samsung doesn't handle fast motion quite as well as we'd like - the trickiest sporting tests can uncover some unwanted judder - and black depth isn't quite up to the standard of that on some rival screens.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gazstone"]HopAlong, you could have saved yourself some time and got the tv at the Comet shop for the web price - the shop will match their own web price.[/quote]

Hi Gazstone. I tried that with comet,curry's,pc world i took a printout to prove the price but they all told me they wouldn't price match from the internet any more.I i was told if wanted internet prices i had to buy it from the internet.They wouldn't even do a deal for cash! there only interested in finance these days.
Well there loss my gain I don't know many people that would pay £1000.00 when you can get it from Dixon's for £250 less!!

billsmith1of8

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Hi zwanchef will be interested how the tosh works out .i have a tosh 36zp18q ctr picture frame model 100hz.fantastic picture.i had read about the tosh 40xf355d and love the small bezel. it mirrors the 36zp18q in terms of ctr models.i was looking in to the lcd market and was thinking of buying a sony x3500 model,due to the fact that it has 100hz.but Andrew Everard.seems to think this does not matter.looked at the 46" inch tosh version the other day at a currys store it looked smaller than the two 40" models that it was in between.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts