Stereo with B&W CM8

Ron_Hifi

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm new on this forum and I live in The Netherlands.

For home theater use, I have a Pioneer SC-LX75 and a Pioneer BDP-LX55 bluray player. Recently I've bougth a Pioneer PD-50K cd player that produces a better cd-quality sound than the BDP-LX55.

My amp delivers its' sound through a pair of B&W CM8 (front), B&W CM Center, B&W CM1 (rear).

For the last few weeks I'm wondering if it helps to enhance the stereo-sound by buying a separate stereo-amp. Some say my SC-LX75 will deliver enough power, some say connecting a dedicated amp will give you a much better stereo-sound. So I've listened to some setups and I have to say, it's much better to have a separate amp.

But now my consideration: which amp suits best to my CM8's? It's easy to buy a Pioneer A-70 amp (same brand). Connecting this amp to my PD-50K will look great, it's a nice combination also together with my home cinema setup. But looking at the review: http://www.whathifi.com/review/pioneer-a-70 I really don't know if this amp works for me.

I like a warm and clean sound. The CM8's produces a crispy, high and open sound if you ask me for my opinion. A much leaner, warmer sound coming from my speakers will be much more comfortable.

Looking at the following amps, I'm not sure what to buy:

- Marantz PM7004

- Marantz PM KI Pearl Lite

- Marantz PM-15S2 Limited Edition

- Pioneer A-70

To me it looks like the difference in sound is very hard to hear when you listen to a PM7004 and the Pearl Lite. The Pearl Lite has better internal components and the price is also higher.

Looking at the PM-15S2 Limited Edition I say "wow, cool". But this amp is higher priced than the other two. I'm really wondering which amp will be the best match with the CM8's. Yeah sure the PM-15S2 LE will be the cracking amp, but really; I'm not an everyday user that listens to cd-music/streaming music, but what I do find very important is that when I'm listening to some music I would really like the best sound quality coming from the front speakers, so I'm looking for the best match in price and quality.

Can anybody help me out with this?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
If you've got the money the 15S2 is a great match. Lovely smooth amp. You'll be enjoying the sound long after you've forgotten the price. I also think it is a nie match with the CM series. I've never been impressed by the 7004. I haven't heard the Pioneer. It seems to be well rated, but I suspect the 15S2 is in a different class altogether.

SOme people argue that an AV receiver can sound as good, but that hasn't been my experience. It isn't just an issue of the rated watts per channel that the manufacturer states. There's more to getting good sound than having enough power.

Ron_Hifi

May 17, 2013
Visit site
ID. said:
If you've got the money the 15S2 is a great match. Lovely smooth amp. You'll be enjoying the sound long after you've forgotten the price. I also think it is a nie match with the CM series. I've never been impressed by the 7004. I haven't heard the Pioneer. It seems to be well rated, but I suspect the 15S2 is in a different class altogether.

SOme people argue that an AV receiver can sound as good, but that hasn't been my experience. It isn't just an issue of the rated watts per channel that the manufacturer states. There's more to getting good sound than having enough power.

Indeed. I suppose that the 15SE is a great match, enough power and control. I really don't know how the Pioneer performs. In the UK there are more owners of this amp, so I'm wondering what the experiences are with this amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts