Stereo versus AVR - getting the best out of Kef XQ40s

paulanson

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi (first post!) I have an Arcam Alpha 8 CD feeding a Pioneer SL-CX85 AVR into Kef XQ40s via QED Revelation (bi-amped), integrated with a full AV system. For stereo it beats my other room stereo only systems hands down, and have experimented with using the CD DAC and the AVR DAC. However, I wonder if I am getting the best out of the XQ40s. Surprisingly, they do not suffer from over brightness, though I could imagine some improved clarity at higher volumes with complex rock tracks. I understand that I can integrate a stereo amp into the AVR system so the CD feeds straight into a stereo amp and drives the KEFs in stereo or AV mode. I wonder if I would I benefit significantly from an upgrade to the amp, or CD player, or by adding a DAC, and if so what would should I consider and how could I expect to benefit? I am loathed to spend a few £K on amplifier/CD/DAC just for a marginal improvement but if it would blow me away, I may start saving or looking around for used kit. I have very broad music tastes, mainly modern. Thanks for your help Full System: Pioneer Kuro 50" Panasonic DMP-BD55/Sky HD/Apple TV Pioneer SL-CX85 AVR Arcam Alpha 8 CD Kef XQ40 Speakers Dynaudio Audience 42C centre Monitor Audio RSW-12 sub Tannoy FX 5.1surround/rear surround Cable Talk interconnects QED Revelation speaker cable Second room system: SYSTEMDEK I920 Sansui CD-X211E CD Arcam Alpha 9 Parasound HCA-1000A Power Amp (could be used in other system) Linn Keilidh speakers

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Paul, and welcome to the forum.

As in all things hifi, you will often get diametrically opposite views; so it should be your own ears that are the final arbiter.

IMO. A stereo amp is well worth pursuing, and preferably one with HT by-pass (though it's not essential).

For my taste, the XQ range from Kef work better if the amp has a touch of warmth......so I would be looking in the direction of Arcam, Musical Fidelity, Audio Analogue, Unison Research, Sugden, Creek, Pathos and Electrocompaniet.

A good dealer should let you home dem (with a deposit).

burningpanda

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I guess it depends on your budget - certainly every improvement in the source/chain that i've added has helped my XQ40's. I currently have a NAD M51 DAC which gets fed the CD/PC source. It's a digital preamp so could hypothetically be used with your power amp.

Borrowing a good DAC would help, the Kefs are very capable speakers and I'm not familiar with the Pioneer AVR but found moving up from a mid range Integra/Onkyo receiver yielded results too. Good luck
smile.png

Currently using (Oppo BDP83/NAD M51/Arcam AVR600-direct mode/KEF XQ40's and REL subs x2/Kef IQ70's rear)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
paulanson said:
I have an Arcam Alpha 8 CD feeding a Pioneer SL-CX85 AVR into Kef XQ40s via QED Revelation (bi-amped), integrated with a full AV system. For stereo it beats my other room stereo only systems hands down, and have experimented with using the CD DAC and the AVR DAC. However, I wonder if I am getting the best out of the XQ40s. Surprisingly, they do not suffer from over brightness
You're only surprised they don't suffer from brightness because others tell you that they are bright :)As an ex-user of an SCLX82, SCLX83, SCLX85, and SCLX86, I never once found any of them bright. If I hadn't moved on to AV pre-powers, I'd still be using the SCLX86.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts