Stereo upgrade or AV move?

colinm66

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Needing some advice/options... I've got 20 year old Cyrus 1 and Tannoy 609 which I use to listen to TV via V+/iPOD/blu ray via PS3... would like to update things and trying to figure out options; new stereo amp (?) or get AV type (?) and 5.1 speaker system... current room is 8x10 however in 'negotiations' with better half to setup home cinema in 12x18 sized room... Initial budget is around £1K. Thanks

Sliced Bread

If it was my money I would go stereo as you will need to split your budget between the amp, additional speakers and possibly a subwoofer. After enjoying a Cyrus setup I think you'll be disappointed with the quality of sound of an AV system in this budget.

But of course, it depends how much time you spend on movies / music.

One option could be to keep your Cyrus for the left and right channels and use a budget AV amp for the centre and rear channels. You could then add a tonally similar centre and rear speakers and save the subwoofer for another time.

Just a suggestion though.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I agree with John. Because you've been used to your movies/TV through your hi-fi, you may well be disappointed with the quality if you switch to a multi-channel system. I'd update your 2 channel system (if you feel the need), and only go full AV if you're going to go all guns blazing.

Having said that, if you are watching more TV and movies than listening to music these days, and AV system could well be what you need to move forward. Something like a Monitor Audio Vector package with a Denon AVR1910 or Yamaha RXV1065 would be a good place to start if you want to replace everything. As John says, you could keep your existing hi-fi, which I'd keep separately and use in another part of the house or living room.

colinm66

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. The sound quality is the nagging doubt in my mind - if I focused on amp for now to what level would I need to go to get good stereo sounds when I wanted to listen to music?

TRENDING THREADS