Stereo suggestions for odd livingroom

Xelathur

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Hi Whathifi,

I'm moving flats shortly, and the new livingroom space is about 2.9m in width and 8.2 meters in length. In the middle of all this I will want a stereo setup. However, I have been rocking headphones for the last 6 years or so, and this is my re-entry to the world of the larger stuff!

Budget is about £1-2000, and the music I listen to is mainly on the heavier side and dynamic speakers would proably be the best bet.

Would something like Arcam A19 + Dali Ikon 6 MK2 be totally overkill for the type of livingroom?

#EDIT# Spotify and turntable/CD will be the inputs

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I think the room size is ok, will you have the speakers on the long wall or short?

My concern would be loud music in a flat, what about your neighbours. I would check that out first, you maybe better off buying a headphone system.

For heavy rock I don't rate the Arcam A19, for me its too polite, I would audition a Roksan Kandy K3 but there are loads of used K2s around for about £400 or less now. That will give you the power. i Have not heard it myself but Abrahamsen amplifiers have plenty of fans on here, see BlackSabbaths posts. Speakers are a matter of taste. Try brands like B&W, Kefs, IQ, Dyns and Dalis.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Nad integrated amps (C320bee and above) + Dali is a good combo especially at lower volumes which is how you would be listening in a flat - unless your neighbours are very tolerant or deaf.

Xelathur

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
BigH said:
I think the room size is ok, will you have the speakers on the long wall or short?

My concern would be loud music in a flat, what about your neighbours. I would check that out first, you maybe better off buying a headphone system.

For heavy rock I don't rate the Arcam A19, for me its too polite, I would audition a Roksan Kandy K3 but there are loads of used K2s around for about £400 or less now. That will give you the power. i Have not heard it myself but Abrahamsen amplifiers have plenty of fans on here, see BlackSabbaths posts. Speakers are a matter of taste. Try brands like B&W, Kefs, IQ, Dyns and Dalis.

The speakers would go alongst the long wall, and I already got a nice headphone setup, and fiancee is whining a bit about our current soundbar (sic).

Neighbors shouldn't be an issue - it's a newbuild with sturdy walls and floors, but it's worth checking with the nighbors during the audio testing.

I'm torn between a smaller speaker VS a larger one, for comparison and sake of argument let's say Dali Zensor 3 in Stereo VS Dali Zensor 5/Ikon 6 mk2 in Stereo. I'm under the impression that larger speakers require more volume to be effective?

knaithrover said:
Nad integrated amps (C320bee and above) + Dali is a good combo especially at lower volumes which is how you would be listening in a flat - unless your neighbours are very tolerant or deaf.

Thanks Knaith,

I reckon I will go to Richer sounds and just try out some speakers - probably best in the end.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Larger speakers don't generally need more power in fact floorstanders often need less power to achieve the same volume. Check the ratings, sensitivity. The Dali 3s should be ok for your room. Larger speakers may need more room away from the wall which maybe an issue for you as only 2.8m wide. Richers are not the best shop to try out hifi but may give you some idea.

Xelathur

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
BigH said:
Larger speakers don't generally need more power in fact floorstanders often need less power to achieve the same volume. Check the ratings, sensitivity. The Dali 3s should be ok for your room. Larger speakers may need more room away from the wall which maybe an issue for you as only 2.8m wide. Richers are not the best shop to try out hifi but may give you some idea.

Plase flood me with suggestions for good shops, I'm all ears!

I'll try and have a listen to the Dali 3's and see.

Xelathur said:
BigH said:

Plase flood me with suggestions for good shops, I'm all ears!

I'll try and have a listen to the Dali 3's and see.

Knowing roughly where you are might help. :)

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
1) Croft Acoustics Phono Integrated Amplifier with Guru Junior speakers designed to work best close to back wall

2) Avi DM10 with phono preamp of your choice

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Xelathur said:
Psssht.. thought you were a psychic, guess I was wrong. South East London.

For starters, Sevenoaks have shops in Sevenoaks, Bromley and Maidstone. Hopefully others who live in South East London will know of other independent dealers and suggest them for you.

IMO floorstanders main advantage is scale, but most will need some room to work well which maybe a problem with only 2.9m to play with. It means that your seating position is going to be around 2 meters away.

Best advice is to find a local dealer, demo some options and then get them on a home trial to see what works best in your room.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes I regard Sevenoaks to be a step up from Richers. I don't know London dealers only been to BArletts who are near Islington, they were fine.

Actually I think the AVI 10s would work well in your room but you can't audition them before buying as only buy direct from manufactuer. If you don't mind used then the AVI 9RSs would be well worth buying at around £700. If I was starting now that what I would buy.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:
1) Croft Acoustics Phono Integrated Amplifier with Guru Junior speakers designed to work best close to back wall

2) Avi DM10 with phono preamp of your choice

AVI?

why not.. I was going to recommend one passive and one active system where the look of active speaker won't put off.. not many true actives with nice veneer around at even less at OP budget

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
Yes I regard Sevenoaks to be a step up from Richers. I don't know London dealers only been to BArletts who are near Islington, they were fine.

Actually I think the AVI 10s would work well in your room but you can't audition them before buying as only buy direct from manufactuer. If you don't mind used then the AVI 9RSs would be well worth buying at around £700. If I was starting now that what I would buy.

from the other poster on this forum and from bit of internet search you can audition AVI in Birmingham http://www.fwhifi.co.uk

as well as at the manufacturer place and any friendly AVI user at his/ her ( but rather his) home.. however, you have to have cookies with you..

Xelathur

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
I have narrowed down the selection to:

Dali Zensor 3 vs KEF LS50, although only by reading, I haven't listened to any of these.

I'll try and listen to them as soon as I can, however, could you guys recommend an amp to go great with these?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Xelathur said:

Dali Zensor 3 vs KEF LS50, although only by reading, I haven't listened to any of these.

I'll try and listen to them as soon as I can, however, could you guys recommend an amp to go great with these?

and why you narrowed down the selection to these?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Xelathur said:

?

Strongly recomend looking at avi also first
To compete with these youll need to spend over at least £4000 imo but will confirm next week

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Xelathur said:

I don't think the LS50s are that suitable to your room size. If close to walls you may need to use bungs which I don't think is a good idea. Ive heard the LS50s with a few amps, for me you had to give them some volume to get them going and they benefit from a decent amp. Really you can't go by just reading you need to hear many different speakers, the ones I thought maybe suitable for me I did not like at all. I have not heard the Dalis, don't think many dealers stock them?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts