Stereo sound improvements for my system

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Have you experimented with speaker position, it has already been said your AV will match any of the amps suggested in this thread for stereo.

Don't get sucked in by the hype

If you are using analog interconnects into your amp try taking one leg and using the digital out on your player into one of the coax inputs on the AV. It'll come up as pcm on your display.

And do not bother with 'Pure direct' I have a ra-1020.....it's rubbish. You can get better results just tinkering around with settings and it won't get trimmed by 10db.

What's the room like and are speakers on spikes etc.

Or are your expectations raised too high by sites like these?

Regisss said:
More than half year have passed, but my question, problem still open... How can I improve my stereo sound...
Main goals for my stereo sound upgrade is – more clarity, separation, dynamics and precise.
So my four possible options could be (as I imagine):
1. Adding external power amp – like Exposure 3010s2;
2. Adding integrated power amp – like the same Exposure, Roksan etc. But there are few with HT pass...
3. Changing my existing AVR - Yamaha RX-A840 to RX-A2040 (for example);
4. Changing speakers... But actually I like Dali Ikon very much and with expensive amps they sound very nice...

If the first option, then what power amp you could advice?
If the second option, then what integrated amp you could advice?

Maybe any other options?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Have you experimented with speaker position, it has already been said your AV will match any of the amps suggested in this thread for stereo.

Don't get pulled in by the hype

If you are using analog interconnects into your amp try taking one leg and using the digital out on your player into one of the coax inputs on the AV. It'll come up as pcm on your display.

And do not bother with 'Pure direct' I have a ra-1020.....You can get better results just tinkering around with settings and it won't get trimmed by 10db.

What's the room like and are speakers on spikes etc.

Or are your expectations raised too high by sites like these?

Regisss said:
More than half year have passed, but my question, problem still open... How can I improve my stereo sound...
Main goals for my stereo sound upgrade is – more clarity, separation, dynamics and precise.
So my four possible options could be (as I imagine):
1. Adding external power amp – like Exposure 3010s2;
2. Adding integrated power amp – like the same Exposure, Roksan etc. But there are few with HT pass...
3. Changing my existing AVR - Yamaha RX-A840 to RX-A2040 (for example);
4. Changing speakers... But actually I like Dali Ikon very much and with expensive amps they sound very nice...

If the first option, then what power amp you could advice?
If the second option, then what integrated amp you could advice?

Maybe any other options?

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I tested Exposure 2010 (not S2) power amp (connected to my AVR preouts). Actually I was disapointed... It sounded little bit brighter, little bit more detailed in hights and vokals, and thats all. As cons I can mentioned - not so wide soundstage, less bass and not so load in the same level... I think that it is not wort investig ~700 EUR in such amp...

Would Exposure 3010 S2 sound better?

Maybe I should try another power amps?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
You will not get the gain you think you will, like some have already said - your AV amp will live quite comfortably with any amp under 1000€.

Seriously take a good look at your current amp - experiment with settings.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
The issue you are facing is a difficult one to resolve. Same as you, I have an AVR setting and I am continuesly thinking about possibilities to improve the stereo sound. This has been a very frustrating quest and I have changed numerous times my AVR and speakers without achieving the quality stereo that I would like. I have used multiple brands over the past 15 years; Denon 1602, Onkyo 702, Arcam 280, Yamaha A2010 and currently Onkyo 818. Out of these AVRs, the worst of all for music was the Yamaha Aventage 2010. I only kept this one for 6 months because it was really bad with music and I replaced with my current Onkyo 818 which I consider quite acceptable in stereo but not great either.

I have also considered myselft several times the possibility to add an integrated amp but in my case it is even more difficult because I would need one with Bluetooth, NET, Spotify, internet radio, etc. and most important: Bypass. This is the only way to use the integrated for all music sources independently from your AVR without using the Pre-section of the AVR and without having the need to manage two volume knobs. Unfortunately every time there are less amps with bypass available.

My recommendation would be:

1) Try adding the integrated amp. Go for integrated amp, the power amp will not work because you AVR character will remain.

2) Change your AVRs for a more musical one. Specially I would recommend to look at Anthem , Arcam if budget allows, or Marantz if budget is limited.

Last week I was in a hi-fi shop discussing this issue with the guy and in my case he recommended a completely different path which is to upgrade my Subwoofer to a Rel T5 which is supposed to be very musical. He was discouraging me to add an integrated amp because of the hassle of double volume, 2 remote controls, using AVR as source for FM, etc. etc, etc…. This would not work for you since you already have big floorstanders.

If you finally decide to add the integrated amp please share your experience.

Good Luck!

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
rendu said:
The issue you are facing is a difficult one to resolve. Same as you, I have an AVR setting and I am continuesly thinking about possibilities to improve the stereo sound. This has been a very frustrating quest and I have changed numerous times my AVR and speakers without achieving the quality stereo that I would like. I have used multiple brands over the past 15 years; Denon 1602, Onkyo 702, Arcam 280, Yamaha A2010 and currently Onkyo 818. Out of these AVRs, the worst of all for music was the Yamaha Aventage 2010. I only kept this one for 6 months because it was really bad with music and I replaced with my current Onkyo 818 which I consider quite acceptable in stereo but not great either.

I have also considered myselft several times the possibility to add an integrated amp but in my case it is even more difficult because I would need one with Bluetooth, NET, Spotify, internet radio, etc. and most important: Bypass. This is the only way to use the integrated for all music sources independently from your AVR without using the Pre-section of the AVR and without having the need to manage two volume knobs. Unfortunately every time there are less amps with bypass available.

My recommendation would be:

1) Try adding the integrated amp. Go for integrated amp, the power amp will not work because you AVR character will remain.

2) Change your AVRs for a more musical one. Specially I would recommend to look at Anthem , Arcam if budget allows, or Marantz if budget is limited.

Last week I was in a hi-fi shop discussing this issue with the guy and in my case he recommended a completely different path which is to upgrade my Subwoofer to a Rel T5 which is supposed to be very musical. He was discouraging me to add an integrated amp because of the hassle of double volume, 2 remote controls, using AVR as source for FM, etc. etc, etc…. This would not work for you since you already have big floorstanders.

If you finally decide to add the integrated amp please share your experience.

Good Luck!

Thanks for your opinion and suggestions, I really appreciate them. May I ask you about your equipment? What speakers, sources, etc...

So, as I understand, the easiest and most efficient way to improve stereo sound would be adding integrated amp?!

Is it worth to try NAD M3 Dual Mono Integrated Amplifier? It is available for me for testing...

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
My fronts are Dali lkon 1, same family as yours but different league. My main source is a Synology NAS and Spotify.

I don't know the amp you are referring to so, can not comment but if you can try before purchasing then, give it a try. The other possibility would be to get a more musical AVR.

In my case it would be too difficult to add an integrated amp that meets all the requirements so, I may end up following the advice from the guy in the hifi shop and get a more musical subwoofer.

Let us know how your testing goes.

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone comment on this amp - LYNGDORF TDAI-2170

http://www.lyngdorf.com/products/tdai-2170

http://www.audiovideo2day.eu/en/article/11726/Lyngdorf-TDAI-2170-Review

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello!
Its very long time since last post about improvement of my system. :) Now again I have little bit more free time to think about this question.
Will I get sound improvement if I change my AVR to top Yamaha or Marantz AVR? Also I look at Rubicon 6 speakers, but as I have no the best placement for them, then I don't know if it is worth to change front's?

Jimboo

Hello!
Its very long time since last post about improvement of my system. :) Now again I have little bit more free time to think about this question.
Will I get sound improvement if I change my AVR to top Yamaha or Marantz AVR? Also I look at Rubicon 6 speakers, but as I have no the best placement for them, then I don't know if it is worth to change front's?
I think through your previous experiences with the Exposure amp that you need to hear different systems/ system components to know what sound you want.
I liked the exposures when I heard them in s friends system and also liked the way they looked but you didn't like the sound. So if you ask me they look nice and they sound nice. They don't work for you.
So , you need to go to a dealership and listen to what they have. As Al said 6 years have already gone.
Have a budget , have a listen and see how that goes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts