Stereo receiver for Monitor Audio RS6

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to this forum and registered because i'm about to buy my very first hifi system.

I can get a great deal on a pair of Monitor Audio RS6s for 750€ instead of the usual 1050€/pair. But I'm wondering whether a Harman Kardon HK3390/3490 would be a good match for it ?

The salesman suggested Marantz makes some great amps to go with these speakers but i really like the KH's styling. Esthetics are almost as important as the sound for me and if sound quality goes down a few percents in favour of beauty than i would certainly don't mind. Not to much ofcourse :)

I'm quite the noob, so all suggestions are welcome! (But i'd really like the HK) :d

thanks

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Hatsjoe:

Hi, I'm new to this forum and registered because i'm about to buy my very first hifi system.

I can get a great deal on a pair of Monitor Audio RS6s for 750? instead of the usual 1050?/pair. But I'm wondering whether a Harman Kardon HK3390/3490 would be a good match for it ?

The salesman suggested Marantz makes some great amps to go with these speakers but i really like the KH's styling. Esthetics are almost as important as the sound for me and if sound quality goes down a few percents in favour of beauty than i would certainly don't mind. Not to much ofcourse :)

I'm quite the noob, so all suggestions are welcome! (But i'd really like the HK) :d

thanks

I think the HK has a bright sound? May not match well with the RS6 in that case. Too bright I believe.

marantz 6003 should match well though. Just a suggestion.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
cstanwhf:Hatsjoe:

I can get a great deal on a pair of Monitor Audio RS6s for 750? instead of the usual 1050?/pair. But I'm wondering whether a Harman Kardon HK3390/3490 would be a good match for it ?

thanks

I think the HK has a bright sound? May not match well with the RS6 in that case. Too bright I believe.

I think you need to buy better (spend more) than the Marantz and HK to hear the RS6s sing.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your responses,

I think you need to buy better (spend more) than the Marantz and HK to hear the RS6s sing.

Any suggestions ?

The only requirement is that it has 1 or 2 digital inputs (optical/coax)

My budget for receiver/amp is about 450? / 400GBP. And have I mentioned that i really like HK's styling lately ? :)

When it comes to stereo receivers you are comparatively limited. I certainly wouldn't recommend Marantz - the only one that springs to mind is the Arcam Solo, although not strictly a receiver, but you do get CD player too.

From personal experience Arcam works wonderfully with the RS6's.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:
When it comes to stereo receivers you are comparatively limited. I certainly wouldn't recommend Marantz - the only one that springs to mind is the Arcam Solo, although not strictly a receiver, but you do get CD player too.

If you have a tv or sat box with freeview, just get an amp (Creek Evo maybe) and connect to the freeview for radio stations (very good tuner).

Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:

If you have a tv or sat box with freeview, just get an amp (Creek Evo maybe) and connect to the freeview for radio stations (very good tuner).

Good call. I heard Evo in a retailer prior to Christmas (not with RS6's) and it was impressive.

I would love to try the Creek at home but don't have too many retailers to choose from that stock Creek.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:

Good call. I heard Evo in a retailer prior to Christmas (not with RS6's) and it was impressive.

I would love to try the Creek at home but don't have too many retailers to choose from that stock Creek.

I had the Evo with my RS6s and they are a match made in heaven. Unless you want to link your stereo amp with your AV receiver and then the Evo doesn't play ball. However, this issue did make me buy my 840A which is better again than the Evo.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the feedback,

Unfortunatly the Arcam is out of my budget and so is the Creek Evo. :( Somewhere along the British Channel someone added a few hundred pounds to the price: around 800? :(. Living in Belgium btw.

Oh and i need atleast 1 digital input (coax or optical.) The tuner isn't absolutely needed since i can connect my tv box for radio :)

Hatsjoe:

thanks for the feedback,

Unfortunatly the Arcam is out of my budget and so is the Creek Evo. :( Somewhere along the British Channel someone added a few hundred pounds to the price: around 800? :(. Living in Belgium btw.

Oh and i need atleast 1 digital input (coax or optical.) The tuner isn't absolutely needed since i can connect my tv box for radio :)

What is your budget?

Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:

I had the Evo with my RS6s and they are a match made in heaven. Unless you want to link your stereo amp with your AV receiver and then the Evo doesn't play ball. However, this issue did make me buy my 840A which is better again than the Evo.

As I've not heard it at home, is the Evo analytical? When I heard it, I actually gatecrashed someone elses demo [I think it was connected to Proacs] although I didn't take much notice of the speakers.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:
What is your budget?

About 450? or 400 GBP according to the exchange rates, but apparently, some stuff is a lot more expensive here in Belgium :s

And I need atleast 1 digital input :)

thx

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:

As I've not heard it at home, is the Evo analytical? When I heard it, I actually gatecrashed someone elses demo [I think it was connected to Proacs] although I didn't take much notice of the speakers.

It's a very true amp, accurate, tight bass and very powerful. Vocals are wonderful.

Hatsjoe:plastic penguin:

What is your budget?

About 450? or 400 GBP according to the exchange rates, but apparently, some stuff is a lot more expensive here in Belgium :s

And I need atleast 1 digital input :)

thx

If you're looking at brand new, you'll have to look at an intgrated amp, like Nad or Rotel. Alternatively, search out second hand or ex-dem - but you'll be hard pushed to find recevier that'll match the RS6's at the 400 Euros.

Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:

It's a very true amp, accurate, tight bass and very powerful. Vocals are wonderful.

I am tempted by the Evo, although I never normally buy hi-fi without a darn good listen (Chelsea supporters, eh?).

A

Anonymous

cstanwhf:Hatsjoe:

thanks

yes, heard some of the HK equipments, it tends to be bright. if it match with RS6, i feel it will be too bright/ edgy to listen to.

Max

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:
Gerrardasnails:Don't mention the C word!! Can you not speak to your local Superfi about a home demo?

"Basil!!!"

The nearest Superfi is in Camden, N. London. I live in the deep south. . . .Surrey to be precise.

That's where I bought mine from - it's not too far from my office. I live in Surrey too - Purley/Coulsdon.

Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:

Gerrardasnails:Don't mention the C word!! Can you not speak to your local Superfi about a home demo?

"Basil!!!"

The nearest Superfi is in Camden, N. London. I live in the deep south. . . .Surrey to be precise.

That's where I bought mine from - it's not too far from my office. I live in Surrey too - Purley/Coulsdon.

I can't disagree - truth is I can only do this at weekends, going thru London is roughly a 4 - 5 hr round trip or go via the car-park. . .sorry the M25. I'm just awkard, really
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Superfi has an offer going on the Creek Evo:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2723

But they aren't shipping to Belgium :(

It's probably the best bang for the buck amp within my budget ;(

kumar786

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

What do you think of Sony STR DN1040 with Monitor Audio RS6? Whathifi has given it 5 stars and specs look good. Their website says 165W per channel.

Even if it delivers 90% of the biggies (Marantz etc) its worth it for me as it is $499 right now and is less than half of what others cost. Your comments are much appreciated.

A

Anderson

Hatsjoe said:
Thanks for your responses,

Any suggestions ?

The only requirement is that it has 1 or 2 digital inputs (optical/coax)

My budget for receiver/amp is about 450? / 400GBP. And have I mentioned that i really like HK's styling lately ? :)

Curve ball for you.

How about this.

As your receiver

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/marantz/nr1504/mara-nr1504

As a power amp

http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_a500_studioendstufe.htm

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts