Stereo amp upgrade.......Marantz PM7004?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi all, and merry xmas.....

Not much information about the Marantz PM7004 on the net (any chance of a review soon, WHF?), yet plenty about the Marantz PM6004.....

Currently I'm using two systems and swapping over banana plugs at the speaker end depending which system I'm using (AV or hifi). This is becoming a little tedious, so looking into upgrading my old Pioneer A605R amp for something that has an AV input if possible....

For under £500 that means two amps, Acram A18 or Marantz PM7004....

Obviously as KEF use Marantz amplification to demo the 'Q' series, I'm assuming it would be the favoured choice, until I get a shortlist to demo.

Obviously I don't want to spend £500 on achieving just this extra feature, so I'm hoping something like the Marantz would be a step up is sound quality too.

I'm aware the Rega Brio-R is the king of the amps at this price range at the moment, but it doesn't have the feature I'm looking for. Saying that, how would it compare to the Marantz amp??

Any thoughts/comments would be very interesting to hear......

matthewpiano

The Arcam A18 will sound completely different to your Pioneer. It works at its best with relatively sensitive and easy to drive speakers and could sound very good with the KEFs. Bear in mind though that it won't stand much in the way of speaker upgrades. It can be a bit slow sounding in the bass and isn't the most dynamic amp for the money. Beautifully made though.

The Rega Brio-R is a much better and more flexible amplifier IMO.

Don't have direct experience of the PM7004 so couldn't comment on that.

All you need to do to use the Denon's pre-outs with a different integrated like the Brio R is to set a memorable position on the integrated's volume control, set it there to calibrate the Denon, and then make sure that you always set the amp's volume control in the same place each time to switch to surround sound.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your reply......

I'm aware that all stereo amps can work in that way, but I use a Harmony remote, so all 'activities' work at a touch of a button......thus being 'wife proof'.... :rofl:

This is why I'm keen to find an amp with the AV feature, if possible.

I do like the sound of the Pioneer amp, but would like a little more bass 'punch' and midrange. I like a detailed sound too, so that is important. It sounds like the Arcam isn't for me!

Obviously a demo session will be needed at some stage.....

A

Anonymous

Arcam A-18 offers a pre-amp output, but can't be used as a Power Amp outside of the workaround proposed by MatthewPiano. So if you want only one volume control when using your A/V system, your only real choice between the three amps you mentionned is Marantz PM7004. And I'm pretty sure you won't regret your choice! It's really comparable to the Arcam in many ways, though offering more wattage output and a better overall control of the sound - meaning you might loose some of the skills of the A-18 with mid-high frequencies, but you might gain more dynamism and better bass.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Sounds good Phil.....thanks for your input.

Anyone heard this amp? Maybe compared it to the Rega Brio-R amp or Marantz PM6004?

WHF review of this amp anytime soon?

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
You can find a few reviews of the 7004 on the web. Maybe Marantz has a link to them on their own website?

It's been a while since I heard the Arcam amp, so I'm not going to say anything about that one. But I do find that Marantz electronics have a great fluency and musicality to them with lots of detail. But they can sometimes sound a little lean in the bass department.

I've heard the Kef Q500 paired to my amp (see sig) , but I found that there was a sharp edge to the trebble and a thick and less controlled bass compaired to the MA RX8.
But the soundstage was HUGE. (great for home cinema!)

A

Anonymous

Yamaha A-S500 is still no solution in regard to the needs of the OP... no power amp feature.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
This is true.......but I'm going to have a play with the system later, and see if we can use it without that feature. If we can, suddenly the options,are improved greatly in terms of upgrade. I also need to see if the harmony remote will set all this up with one button pushed. I'm also tempted by marantz pm6004 prices at the moment, but I'm not sure it would be an upgrade from my pioneer.

A

Anonymous

I had a PM6004 on home demo, running the R100 directly and then via the pre-outs on my SR5006. There was little difference from just running the 5006 in stereo mode. I'm now thinking of the extra power of the PM7004 or even adding a MM7025. I'm interested to see what you one end up doing.

lesmallett

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Let me know if you discover any other solutions Pete as I've looking into the same thing myself. Wanted an intergrated with the main in feature for use with my Yamaha 1065 but the amps with this feature seem a little expensive and overkill for my speakers. Ideally would like the Yamaha 500 to work with my Harmony for housemate and girlfriend to use safely.

I have the fear they would use it one day and blow things as the volume wouldn't be set right.

Ideally you need a digital volume setting that always starts at the same setting like AV amps have but don't know any intergrateds that have this.

A

Anonymous

markjaspi said:
I had a PM6004 on home demo, running the R100 directly and then via the pre-outs on my SR5006. There was little difference from just running the 5006 in stereo mode. I'm now thinking of the extra power of the PM7004 or even adding a MM7025. I'm interested to see what you one end up doing.

You won't notice a big change using an int. amp vs an A/V receiver if you use a Blu Ray player as a source... Panasonic DMPBDT310 is a terrible CD player...

To the OP : you have to understand, even if you find a fixed setting for your integrated amp with no power amp feat., you will always have the problem of sound control : if you want to raise or lower the volume, you must do it with both amp. Not such a big problem if you ask me, but still...

A

Anonymous

PhilBlvdElec said:
markjaspi said:

You won't notice a big change using an int. amp vs an A/V receiver if you use a Blu Ray player as a source... Panasonic DMPBDT310 is a terrible CD player...

To the OP : you have to understand, even if you find a fixed setting for your integrated amp with no power amp feat., you will always have the problem of sound control : if you want to raise or lower the volume, you must do it with both amp. Not such a big problem if you ask me, but still...

Sorry just to clarify I've got a CD6004 (not listed on my kit) and loaned a UD7006 as an option as a one box solution and as I said, an improvement with the PM6004, but not a vast one.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
If i go with an amp without the feature, I would set the stereo amp to half way, and re calibrate the Denon AV amp, after which will be the volume control for both the av amp and stereo amp when watching movies/tv, as I'll be using the 'Pre Out' outputs on the Denon to connect to the 'AUX' input on the stereo amp.....

Anyone follow that? :O

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Both have the 'Marantz' sound I guess.....

My Pioneer amp knocks 'spots' off my Denon receiver when used as a 2 channel amp with my Marantz cd player.....

lesmallett

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Found an alternative that may suit my needs, the NAD C326BEE. Can be had for under £300. I imagine it isn't as good as others but suits my budget and has the feature we are after.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Unless you mean using the 'Main in' sockets on the back?

If so, I'm not sure how it works in terms of volume setting on the amp, and it doesn't have a switch on the front to go into 'AV mode', unless it automatically switches to the 'Main in' inputs if it 'senses' a signal coming into it....which would be a perfect solution!!

lesmallett

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm using AE Neo 3's for the fronts, so the NAD should suffice, although worried about the match with the Yamaha with movies.

I downloaded the data sheet from the NAD website and noticed it there.

lesmallett

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm think I may have spotted a flaw, the pre-outs are connected to the main ins. You have to remove these to use with AV receiver, but this would mean I couldn't use it as an intergrated with music.

Is that what you meant Pete?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
It doesn't work as we hoped!!!!

Cheapest machine with the 'AV' feature is the Marantz PM7004......which is why I was asking questions about it originally.

Either than or do it the old fashioned way and set the amps volume to a memorable one and re calibrate the av receiver connecting it via 'pre outs' to an unused input on the stereo amp.

But will a harmony remote switch on two amps when the 'Watch tv' button is pressed, and what happens when the wife forgets to turn down the stereo before listening to a cd!!! :silenced:

A

Anonymous

markjaspi said:
Sorry just to clarify I've got a CD6004 (not listed on my kit) and loaned a UD7006 as an option as a one box solution and as I said, an improvement with the PM6004, but not a vast one.

In which case your comment is really helpful... always tought the Marantz A/V receivers could sound good stereo wise, though never tried one. Good to know! Any experience with Onkyo A/V, anyone?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts