Stereo amp upgrade.......Marantz PM7004?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Most use this if they go down the speaker switch route....but it's not remotely controlled....

http://www.beresford.me/PP/TC2D7220_AUDIO_ROUTER.html

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Pistol Pete1 said:
It doesn't work as we hoped!!!! Cheapest machine with the 'AV' feature is the Marantz PM7004......which is why I was asking questions about it originally. Either than or do it the old fashioned way and set the amps volume to a memorable one and re calibrate the av receiver connecting it via 'pre outs' to an unused input on the stereo amp. But will a harmony remote switch on two amps when the 'Watch tv' button is pressed, and what happens when the wife forgets to turn down the stereo before listening to a cd!!! :silenced:

Well the harmony remote will do this....re calibration will be done tomorrow!!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Ok I have now set up my Pioneer A-605R stereo amp through the Denon AVR 2310 pre outs and manually set the tone volumes to match the centre and rears.

I haven't asked the denon to re calibrate, as I don't have the audyssey dynamic volume etc switched on, as I found the Denon sounded better and more natural without.

Anyway...first thoughts are:

1) I have to add more volume than before to hear it.

2) The sound seems a touch better...clearer perhaps.

3) More sibilance with speaking....especially with females voices....it may get annoying too!!

4) The front three speakers seem to blend better.

lesmallett

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
How did you get the Harmony to give you the same volume everytime you switch it on? or do you just have to manually set it to the desired level when switching between movies and music?

lesmallett

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
How did you get the Harmony to give you the same volume everytime you switch it on? or do you just have to manually set it to the desired level when switching between movies and music?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Has to be done manually........no way round it.

Obviously it will be set up for tv/movies all the time, so its a case of remembering to turn it down before listening to music. That's easy though, as i have to manually switch the cd player on.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Latest thoughts when using the Pioneer to drive the front speakers.....

I'm finding the front speakers are missing a little sparkle when using this Pioneer over the Denon. But its adding a little more depth to vocals when used with tv/movies.... :dance:

I'm assuming because the signal goes through the pre amp of the Denon, then pre amp section of the Pioneer before it gets to the power amp, it may be affecting the detail offered to the KEF speakers?

Would a more modern amp improve things, or is it the difference between the Denon and Pioneer sound? (Denon offers more detail?) If so, would the Marantz PM6004 improve things as Marantz is part of Denon, so I assume they will have similar sound?

And at £250 this amp is a good buy at the moment.....

lesmallett

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what to suggest as it will be hard to know till you hear it on your system. I can't really afford a int amp with the av input and want the yamaha. as500 but worried I'll have the problems your having. The beresford you mentioned plus extra cable comes to £100 putting me only £100 away from a pm7004.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
lesmallett said:
Not sure what to suggest as it will be hard to know till you hear it on your system. I can't really afford a int amp with the av input and want the yamaha. as500 but worried I'll have the problems your having. The beresford you mentioned plus extra cable comes to £100 putting me only £100 away from a pm7004.

Well if the Marantz offers more detail and bass punch than my Pioneer with cd's, as well as the midrange the Pioneer offers I'd be tempted to give it a go.....

Obviously I could sell on my Pioneer, and with the xmas money I've been given, it may not cost me anything. Saying that, if the Marantz isn't as good, I'm sure I could sell it to a friend...?

lesmallett

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Another option to condider is the Onkyo TX8050. If it is as good as people on this forum say then it is workable, even though it doesn't have an AV input, as you can set the input level for each input.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts