Stereo amp or power amp?

Nathan

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
So the question of AV and stereo amps has been covered a lot and the guides for connecting a stereo amp to the pre outs of the AV amp seem clear. However I have a variation that I can't find the answer to.

So I have a Denon AVR-X4200W, a Roksan Kandy KC-1 mk3 with a set of Monitor Audio Silver 7.1 speakers attached. All good for movies. Now my intention was to attach the pre-outs on the Denon to a stereo amp - the Roksan K3 or Caspian M2 and connect the CD player to the stereo amp. However, is there any reason. I cannot connect the pre-outs to a K3 or M2 power amp INSTEAD of the stereo amp and leave the CD player plugged into the Denon? I will not be connecting any other stereo sources and this would save several hinder pounds. Then if wanted to bi-amp the speakers I could then add a second power amp.

Is there any reason not to do this and would the sound quality be the same either way?

Nathan

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
The Denon is acting as your pre-amp, if the CDP is plugged into that.

I always maintain "proper stereo for proper stereo, AV receivers for AV, and never the twain shall meet", but a lot would disagree. It depends on what your definition of "good proper stereo" is in a lot of ways.

If you add an integrated stereo amplifier, I would connect the CDP to that, and also route the front left and right pre-amp outputs of the Denon receiver to the Aux inputs of the integrated amp. Your front left and right main speakers get connected to the integrated stereo amp, not the receiver. I think this may also allow you to expand the Denon receiver from 7 internally amplified channels to nine - seven internally amplified plus your front two through the stereo amplifier. The same is also true, I think, if you just add a cheap stereo power amp like the Onkyo 5010 to drive, say, the rear surrounds or rear overheads in an Atmos setup. That's how my Marantz 7010 works, anyway.

IMHO adding a power amp and still routing the CDP through the receiver won't improve sound quality. Maybe quantity, but not quality.

Better to spend your moolah on an integrated stereo amplifier now, and the ones you are suggesting are pretty good, then add a power amplifier to your "proper stereo" setup later if you want / need to.

Nathan

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
That is VERY helpful - thanks a lot. I logically thought that might be the case but have never seen anyone say it so thank you.

In that case I will have the toss up between the M2 and the K3 integrated amp depending on bang for buck. Do I assume that if I then want to bi-amp I would simply then buy a power amp?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Providing your integrated has outputs for a power amp and the power amp you buy is compatible - roughly the same wattage and sonic characteristics. Same brand usually works best, therefore.

If there's a power discrepancy I like to use the higher powered amp for the treble, the lower powered one for bass. It's counter intuitive I know, but I personally think that works best.

A lot of people around here disagree, however, but I'm not sure they've all actually bumped anything themselves... all I can say is try both arrangements and see which you prefer.

Nathan

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your help on this.

So I blind demo'd a Roksan K3, Roksan Capsian M2, an Arcam A29 and an Audiolabs A300A today in the above setup at Richer Sounds. Rather annoyingly the Caspian M2 was massively better than the others and well worth the extra. I was rather expecting diminishing returns when it came to spending 50% more than the K3 but the difference was night and day. I've listened to Queen II for 25 years and playing Ogre Battle on the M2 revealled parts of the score I never knew existed.

Be grateful that you're not my neighbour!!

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Fine choices - amp and music!

BTW you realize the 25th anniversary of Freddie's far-too-early demise is almost upon us - November 24th this year. If he'd caught AIDS a few years later the advances in the meds might have kept him alive.

Nathan

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
Indeed. 25 years seem to have gone way too quickly! At least I have a couple of hundred of his songs burn the amp in with!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts