Starting from scratch

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ok guys i'm a relative newbe to all this and was wondering if I could get some help.

I have always dreamed about having my own place with an extremley efficient networked home where all my media is minamilised to hard drives and can be stremed around my abode. I would love to make it as wireless as possible too. I also like to travel and want my home to be as acccesable as possible. I have just bought a new house and am really excited about setting all this up.

I would like either a large flat screen TV or projector with screen in my front room which i can use for my normal TV, movie playback, radio and music play back, live sport and online gaming (XBOX, PS3), I love the idea of having a huge projector screen but would i be better off with a large better quality TV?

Thanks

Olly

greybb

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
I personally would go with a large flat sreen, i think you have to change the bulb every few thousand hours on a projector at a few hundred pounds a pop. Yes you can have a ridiulously large picture with a projector, but depending on the distance you are from the screen that could be too big. Plus light is an issue, i think you need to be in a dark room.

What's your budget for a tv / projector ?

A projector is definitely an excellent option. Changing bulbs is not an issue, as the bulbs last for a few thousand hours (which translates to a few years of use). Also, contrary to popular belief, you don't strictly need a pitch dark room. You can get a high-gain screen that will enable to you watch without having to have black-out curtains or wait until it's dark.

We need more information to advise you on either (TV or projector):

1) What's your budget?

2) What are your room's dimensions?

3) What percentage of your viewing is going to be SD programmes?

greybb

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
Yes but if your that close to it surely you don't want to be moving your head from side to side whilst playing xbox or ps3, plus i was under the impression that if you were too close to a screen you would see flaws in the picture that you wouldn't see at the correct distance.

I maybe wrong, i'm no expert and just giving my opinion based on what i've read here.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Projectors are an unmatched experience as far as movies are concerned
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Guys,

Thanks for the thoughs so far, i would have about 3m between me and the screen although i would have a fairly big window to the side. Budget is about £1500

Thanks

greybb:But am i wrong in thinking you can be too close ???

When I demoed my AV equipment, I was treated to watching a film on a projector. I think it was an 84-inch screen, & I was seated less than 3m from it. Not a hint of grain or blurriness & even fast motion was comfortable. Mind you, I was watching a blu-ray film. The experience is unrivalled by any TV available in the market (including my KRP 500A plasma).

It really depends on the OP. If you're going to watch a lot of SD programmes, a 50-inch TV is probably a better option, although Clare Newsome (Editor-in-Chief, WHF) uses a projector exclusively for everyday viewing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts