Starting From Scratch ... With an MP3 library

xlider

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I'm just discovering this forum and website, and love the info and the insights...

This being said, I am a newbie. I went from not having enough money to buy CDs, to not bothering as I had MP3s and other items. What I have today is a Mac, connected through an Airport express, and a small PC-type set of SONY speakers... An iPod, which I never really use, and an iPad, currently used as a remote for my Mac...

I listen to every kind of music, but felt lately quite limited in quality, when listening to classical (Dvorak, Janacek, Tchaikowski, Vivaldi,...), usually converted in FLAC.

With a budget of 750£, I'd like to get started... Two options I looked at:

- Start from my AEX, using the digital output, an amplifier or DAC + amplifier and new speakers. But there no idea of what to chose from.

- Log onto Sonos, with a bridge and a Sonos5, maybe later when richer going through the Connect + much better quality systems...

I would live to read what you think, for a little newbie

Thanks

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
xlider said:
Hi,

I'm just discovering this forum and website, and love the info and the insights...

This being said, I am a newbie. I went from not having enough money to buy CDs, to not bothering as I had MP3s and other items. What I have today is a Mac, connected through an Airport express, and a small PC-type set of SONY speakers... An iPod, which I never really use, and an iPad, currently used as a remote for my Mac...

I listen to every kind of music, but felt lately quite limited in quality, when listening to classical (Dvorak, Janacek, Tchaikowski, Vivaldi,...), usually converted in FLAC.

With a budget of 750£, I'd like to get started... Two options I looked at:

- Start from my AEX, using the digital output, an amplifier or DAC + amplifier and new speakers. But there no idea of what to chose from.

- Log onto Sonos, with a bridge and a Sonos5, maybe later when richer going through the Connect + much better quality systems...

I would live to read what you think, for a little newbie

Thanks

With your budget, I'd highly recommend trying to get a used pair of ADM9s. The AVI forum is a good place to start looking or maybe ebay. You would need nothing else.

xlider

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. Looked at it and on ebay too, the rare reviews I see are pretty good... But quite a steep step for a first run... You are using this in which setting?

xlider

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I bought it begin 2010, mainly for the design... Skype sound management was pretty ok too (no need for a headset all the time). I use it mainly to watch movies, internet and music

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
xlider said:
Thanks for the advice. Looked at it and on ebay too, the rare reviews I see are pretty good... But quite a steep step for a first run... You are using this in which setting?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'setting'. I have my Mac mini plugged into the ADM9s using an optical cable. You could do the same with your airport express and then stream to it from your Mac or iPad.

New price exceeds your budget, but I bought mine reduced as end of line last model. Good prices can be found for used ADMs and a nearly new pair sold for £700 on ebay recently. Have a look around and be patient, it will be worth the wait. I would still ask the guys on the AVI forum though, as the speakers come up for sale from time to time.

TRENDING THREADS