Starting from scratch again: £400. . . or £1000?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having relocated to the UK from Canada I am missing having a proper stereo. . . er, "hifi" as you call them. Things have changed considerably since I last purchsed kit. I had a lovely selection of components, bought piece by piece from the late 80s to the early 90s as I could afford it, and Bose Acoustimass 5 speakers. If the electrics had been compatible the whole thing would have come with me! So, now I am wondering what sort of investment to make. I'd like an all-in-one solution, as space is at a premium, and moreover, I like a clean, uncluttered look. On the one hand, I could easily spend £1000 on something like the Audio Analogue Enigma coupled with the Epos M5, M12.2 or Triangle Cometes. On the other hand, an inexpensive Onkyo CR515 or Teac DR-H300 with decent speakers would set me back around £400. I don't have an iPod but I do have an Apple iBook with about 10GB of music in iTunes. I have an extensive CD collection, but would like the flexibility to play from iTunes from time to time. Only the Teac offers an elegant solution, with the USB connection. (At present I use a Belkin Tunecast II to send the signal from the computer's headphone jack to the FM receiver on my inexpensive CD boombox.) What I am struggling with is, how much better will the results be with a spend of £1000, vs an inexpensive all-in-one approach. I welcome any suggestions.

Razz

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
The Audio Analogue Enigma coupled with the Epos M5 would be the best sounding setup among the ones you've suggested - and indeed among all similar setups currently available on the market (according to most reviews). It would be more expensive than an Onkyo micro but I'm pretty sure it is well worth it.

However since you've mentioned your massive iTunes music collection I have an alternative and very interesting solution: the ADM9 active monitors from AVI. These miniature monitors include amplifiers for each channel (and each drive!), a preamplifier AND a DAC; basically if you connect them to your iBook you already have a brilliant sounding system on your hands for only 1000 quid (the price of the ADM9s). So no more boxes in your room nothing - just two tiny cute speakers. AVI are amongst the most respected high-end manufacturers on the audiophile scene so it is expected that the quality of these speakers is very good indeed, and they come with much better credentials and specifications than any all-in-one-box solution. However if you have a little patience they will be reviewed in the next issue of WHF (out in less than a week).

Take a look at these tiny tots: http://www.avihifi.co.uk/avid/avid.html

Razz

A

Anonymous

Razz, that is a fascinating and very elegant solution! Thank you very much. I had a look at the speakers and wow! I have to say they are a very appealing option.

While I am waiting on the review, can you help me get my head around the logistics of the proposed set-up?

1. USB out from iBook G4 to speakers -- does this have to be hard-wired, or can I do it wirelessly via the built-in Airport? That is to say, can I continue to work away on my computer with it in my lap, whilst playing music over the ADM9s? Or do I need another bit of kit to receive the wireless signal from the iBook and send it to the speakers?

2. I just realised that the built-in DVD player on the iBook (which I rarely use) means I can use it as a player in this set-up, and improve the sonics of DVDs, routing the music through the speakers and sending the image to the TV. I am curious how they would connect, video-wise. I have an ethernet-to-[edited to add: VGA] cable -- I use this to send the screen image to an LCD projector when giving PowerPoint presentations. Would this also work in principle to send the DVD image to the (very basic) television? (I reckon an adapter is required as the tv only has SCART in.)

3. In addition to the above, I have a Griffin Airclick USB which wirelessly enables me to advance slides during a presentation. It is a great bit of kit and also works to control iTunes (and iPhoto). I expect it would work equally well in this new hifi set-up with the ADM9s.

I am now looking at my iBook in a new light. It has always been a superb machine, but I am starting to see it as the CD-DVD part of an overall hifi system. Thanks again Razz.

A

Anonymous

Gah! Now I am looking at plasma screens!

A slippery slope indeed!

Razz

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Dear Marion,

I understand perfectly how you feel - I too have a huge music collection on my PC that I dearly cherish and have long waited for a complete solution like the ADM9s to appear (especially since I have always believed that active speakers with active filters set between the preamp and the amp are the way to go form a strictly audiophile point of view - indeed that is the solution employed in all recording studios). So I was glad to hear that this 'digital' solution came from one of the small but legendary British stalwarts... I don't own a pair yet - but am seriously considering purchasing them. So far I have read tons of positive reviews from users, but I too am waiting for the WHF review of next week - although I have grown so much in love with these little blobs that even that would prove hard to change my mind should it be not too favourable...

You can definitely use them through an Airport - indeed Ashley James himself the boss of AVI has written to me in an email about the fantastic results he has obtained though an Airport Express - so you can move about with your laptop to your heart's content... :) You can't get more flexibile than that. And since I mentioned Ashley James - he must be the friendliest and closest owner of a hi-fi company ever, and should you write to him with any question you might have (which I encourage you to do) he will surely be quick to answer himself in his trademark straightforward but warm manner... Indeed this AVI customer policy makes their products seem 'cozier ' too! But I digress...

Sadly I am merely an audio geek but not truly a video one :) - so am unable to give you dependable advice as to how you could connect your laptop to a TV. Perhaps the people at Apple - or some of our friends on this forum - could give you some advice in that regard. It does definitely seem doable though... Also I have no doubt that the Griffin Airlick would give you a valuable remote control while playing your tunes...

I too see my music collection differently since I've laid eyes on the ADM9 system. An mp3 file may not have the same resolution as a CD file or other lossless options - but with your favourite music it can stir your heart just as well... Besides lossless files like the FLAC are becoming more and more popular these days...

So I'm glad it's a solution you are considering - I feel less lonely now :)

Razz

A

Anonymous

Thanks Razz! So pleased you suggested this approach because it really does seem to, at least in theory, tick all the boxes for me. It is a truly "elegant" solution, in the broadest sense of the word.

And I'm happy to hear I can route it all through Airport Express. That will make things simple. I am looking forward to Ashley's advice re the logistics of it all. Want to be sure I am getting the right kit for the job.

In the meantime, I have taken the plunge and orderd a plasma tv, the Panasonic TH37PX70, which I got at dixon's for less than £699 all in.

I would welcome anyone's input on the best way to connect the laptop to the TV and the speakers. I have a separate DVD player, but the TV comes with built-in Freeview (something I already use) and I would like to route the sound to the speakers. I am sure it is not difficult, I simply want to choose the option or route that gives the best-quality results. And I want to have everything I need to make it work, there. There is nothing more frustrating than having a cracking bit of kit and not having the correct connector!

Gah. I will be a total nerd in less than a week at this rate! :)

Razz

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Check put these nice photos I've found on a forum with several ADM9 users' reviews: (http://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum7/16897-1.html)

ADM9_01.jpg
adm9i03.jpg

adm9i02.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts