Starting again

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Stu 299

Jan 23, 2021
Visit site
cheers will be interesting to compare it with my old CD and tuner I've been listening to the last few days. I won't be getting anything like the best out of it with my amp and speakers so doubt it will be long before the itch returns!

Stu 299

Jan 23, 2021
Visit site
Thanks all for your input. Got everything rigged up and it's a revelation. Love the sound and the convenience of streaming. Listening to all my old favourites and I've never heard them sound this good before, and finding some new stuff too. I'm using the pre-amp out on the Naim into the Power Amp Direct on the Technics amp so making use of the pre amp and have the convenience of being able to use the volume remote. It means I've got two volume controls in use but it's fine for now.

Reactions: rainsoothe

rainsoothe

Thanks all for your input. Got everything rigged up and it's a revelation. Love the sound and the convenience of streaming. Listening to all my old favourites and I've never heard them sound this good before, and finding some new stuff too. I'm using the pre-amp out on the Naim into the Power Amp Direct on the Technics amp so making use of the pre amp and have the convenience of being able to use the volume remote. It means I've got two volume controls in use but it's fine for now.
Yay. It's a steal for the price you got it at, enjoy.

Stu 299

Jan 23, 2021
Visit site
It's putting a big grin on my face for sure, a massive step up in SQ. And yet I keep wondering how it would sound with a dedicated power amp... I'd forgotten how this game works, there's always a weak link! And how expensive it is 🤣

Stu 299

Jan 23, 2021
Visit site
OK so the bug's definitely got me. Just bought a Naim 250DR power amp to accompany the streamer.

My Monitor Audio BR2 are suddenly looking very out of their depth 😁

Reactions: rainsoothe

rainsoothe

OK so the bug's definitely got me. Just bought a Naim 250DR power amp to accompany the streamer.

My Monitor Audio BR2 are suddenly looking very out of their depth 😁
Hahahaha :)) enjoy

When you decide on speakers (which will be tricky), also factor in the cost of a pair of Witch Hat Phantom speaker cable, they're brilliant and made for Naim.

Reactions: Stu 299

Stu 299

Jan 23, 2021
Visit site
Hope everyone is well!

Update: Well I fell a long way down the rabbit hole. Currently listening to:-

Naim NDS + PS555DR
Naim 252 + Supercap PS
Naim 300 Power Amp
ATC SCM11 on Atacama Moseco Stands
Witch Hat N2 speaker cable (will upgrade to Phantom when I upgrade the speakers)
Solid Sounds Rack

Loving every minute of the journey :giggle:

Stu 299

Jan 23, 2021
Visit site
Cheers. I find the best thing about streaming is listening to some great internet radio stations (Paradise being my favourite), hearing something new and then looking up the track/album etc and going from there. I've found so much great music this way, and my library is very varied whereas before I had a tendency to keep listening to the same or similar stuff.

rainsoothe

Hope everyone is well!

Naim NDS + PS555DR
Naim 252 + Supercap PS
Naim 300 Power Amp
Witch Hat N2 speaker cable (will upgrade to Phantom when I upgrade the speakers)
Solid Sounds Rack

Yikes, that's, um... quite the jump! Enjoy :)

P.S.: I use the same Radio Paradise methodology, it's great :)

Reactions: Stu 299

Oxfordian

Hope everyone is well!

Naim NDS + PS555DR
Naim 252 + Supercap PS
Naim 300 Power Amp
Solid Sounds Rack

Wow, I thought my restart was a deep hole but I’m not sure you can still see daylight, that is one impressive set up.

How are the SCM11’s, I so very nearly went for these over my 7’s but I am very happy with mine.

Stu 299

Jan 23, 2021
Visit site
How are the SCM11’s, I so very nearly went for these over my 7’s but I am very happy with mine.

The treble and mid is very refined to my ears and whilst the bass doesn't go all that far down it's very rich and tight... sorry I'm not good with describing these things! Overall I'd say it's a very nicely balanced and engaging presentation and never tiring.

I did find I had to play around with positioning. Initially I had them too far from the wall and the sound was a bit thin. I did a bit of experimentation moving them closer and it all just clicked and all doubts disappeared. I find they sound very nice at low volumes but then they only show their full potential when turned up to moderate levels.

I had planned to upgrade to floorstanders but they're not going to be easy to part with, and I'm in no rush now.

From what I've read you can't go wrong with any of the SCM range and it sounds like you're enjoying yours (y)

Reactions: Oxfordian

Stu 299

Jan 23, 2021
Visit site
Yikes, that's, um... quite the jump! Enjoy :)

P.S.: I use the same Radio Paradise methodology, it's great :)

Yeah I didn't see myself going beyond the 272 + 200 but when I found a very nice preloved 300 at a great price it was impossible to resist. Then came the XPS DR, then it was swapped for a 555 DR, and then a 252 + SC. The 272 is a wonderful machine but it was a no brainer to swap it for an NDS plus a few £££ when I was only using the streaming section. It's all ex-demo or s/h but I took my time to get the right units and it's been great fun. It would be nice to get the 300 and SC upgraded to DR but no rush, time to sit back and enjoy the music. I find myself listening for hours every day. Yes it's not cheap but I use it a lot more and get a lot more enjoyment out of it than I do my car, and it will hold its value a lot better!

PS thanks for all the great advice early on, it set me on the right path. My wallet might disagree tho :grimacing:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts