Starter Sub?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I need help on where do I start here guys?

I am picking up my new Onkyo 605 this weekend to go with my Monitor Audio Radius speakers. I need some pointers as to where to start regarding a sub. Budget needs to be kept to a minimum. Either that or I leave the sub for a while until I can afford more. How can I weigh up bang for buck where subs are concerned?

Any advice would be appreciated...many thanks.

Pete

andyblade

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
This site seams to be flogging the Wharfdale SW150 for £169 (inc delivery), which seams a smart price (got to be a catch).

http://www.hifisuppliers.co.uk/website/subwoofer/wharfedale-sw150.htm

I've been very impressed with my SW150, it's currentlly working with a pair of KEF iq5's and it's added a lot of fun to movie soundtracks & music, it's also the WHFSV budget recomendation.

if not joy there, I got mine from here

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2208/source/kelkoo

Andy

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
In my extremely uneducated opinion I'd say...

1. Get one, even a cheap one if that's all you can afford. I went about 3 years without one and finally bought the cheapest one I could afford - a Paradigm thingy form Richer Sounds for £150 (don't even seem to see them nowadays). I thought it was superb - it made such a difference and it was wonderful to get the sofa shaking! Even that was with the cheap cable it came with and it sounded even better when I upgraded the cable. However, it does emit a rather annoying hum which I guess is the price you pay for cheap kit!

2. You know you're going to get one - so why not just get it now so you'll use it for more time, thus being better value for money in the long run !!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

hi mate, forget these cheap plastic subs at 200 quid. it's not true sub bass and is a false economy. you dont give a buget but if you got yourself a BK sub for 300 quid you would be amazed for the price. either that, or a Rel quake a real british sub bass manufacturer

A

Anonymous

Hi Pete,i can wholeheartedly recommend the Wharfedale SW150.I've had mine for about 2 years and it sounds great with films and music it's timing is exellent.although i do have the wharfedale speakers that it was designed to partner.i demoed the next one up(SW250) and didn't think there was a great improvment. Deffo purchase a subwoofer though it really brings the film to life and completes the home cinema experience,just don't turn it up too loud as this can swamp the dialog and detail.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for your advice, keep it coming.
Been away from my desk today so couldn't get on before now.

So you guys reckon I should spend some money on a sub now then rather than wait till I can afford a really good one. I have been recommended the REL Quake by a friend but wasn't sure how much knowledge that came from.

Many thanks guys

Pete

A

Anonymous

Collected my new Onkyo 605 today and whilst I was at the showroom I was recommended the MJ Accoustics PRO50 mk2 subwoofer as an excellent solution for my setup.

As this model was not one that any of you guys mentioned, I was curious to hear your thoughts.

Thanks guys

Pete

A

Anonymous

chuckle, Andrew, it's a good budget sub actually and would really recommend one

A

Anonymous

Great! So the guy was right then. That's another one in the mix then.

Many thanks as usual guys.

Pete

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts