Star wars out on Blu-ray next year

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
There's Hayden Christensen in a film and you choose to pick on Ewan for poor acting?
emotion-3.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
"What is forgotten or not appreciated by people of a younger generation (
I'm excluded ) is that Star Wars changed the way movies were made
forever."

Star Wars, along with Jaws two years prior, certainly did change Hollywood cinema forever, but hardly for the better. The decade preceding its release was as close as Hollywood ever got to combining mainstream film production with an ostensive art cinema, but any such notions were abandoned when presented with the unprecedented box office receipts of the two films mentioned above.

Since then we've mostly been offered inconsequential escapist distractions aimed at kids or the tweenage market. That's great if you're a kid or tweenager, but for the rest of us it's slim pickings.
emotion-6.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Clare Newsome:There's Hayden Christensen in a film and you choose to pick on Ewan for poor acting?
emotion-3.gif

Yep
emotion-21.gif
and lets not forget Angels and Demons as well.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:I fear you may be confusing bad acting with bad accents.
emotion-5.gif

And bad directing, MacGregor is on record as saying Star Wars was the most frustrating thing he's ever done as Lucas didn't allow the actors to act, he told them exactly how he wanted the dialogue delivered, down to the inflection and if they didn't comply he made them redo it.

The trouble with Lucas is he's a perfectionist, with a whole load of OCD, so he can't stop fiddling until he achieves his perception of perfection, unfortunately until he's playing every role in a fully immersive holographic environment he can't reach that perfection, so he keeps tinkering and tinkering, trying to make it better and better, the irony being he's making them worse and worse.

The other problem with him is that he's not really a very good director, which is why Empire Strikes Back is the best of the lot as he had to hand over the reins to someone else because he found directing SW too stressful.

Oh and gel he didn't avoid making Eps I-III because he didn't think they were good enough (come ON, this is George Lucas!), he didn't make them because he didn't think the technology was good enough to create what he wanted to put on the screen. And if some of the CGI in Clones is anything to go by, it still wasn't...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
And script - remember, Kasdan wrote the script for Empire Strikes Back, too.

As Harrison Ford famously put it to George Lucas re Star Wars dialogue: "You can write this stuff, but you can't speak it."

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

As Harrison Ford famously put it to George Lucas re Star Wars dialogue: "You can write this stuff, but you can't speak it."

Well, that isn't quite how Ford put it, from what I understand...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:MacGregor is on record as saying Star Wars was the most frustrating thing he's ever done as Lucas didn't allow the actors to actGood excuse for EM's inability to act, fullstop
emotion-2.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:Clare Newsome:

Well, that isn't quite how Ford put it, from what I understand...

I was paraphrasing to keep within Forum rules
emotion-2.gif

manicm

Episodes 4,5,6 will be the Special Editions. Why?

Cos first there was God, then there was Bill Gates, then there was Steve Jobs, but over the last two at least George Lucas always hovered above them.

Get over it.

D

Deleted member 2457

Clare Newsome:

Petruchio:I'm much more excited about Back To The Future trilogy coming to Bluray than Star Wars. At 33 I suppose I'm the right age for being a Star Wars "fan-boy", but I just never got it. The plots were flimsy, bad characterisation etc etc. The fact that Lucas has milked every penny out of the franchise puts me off even more. Can you imagine Zemekis living off films he made 25 years ago? No, he went onto make movies like Roger Rabbit, Contact (awesome movie), Forrest Gump, erm Polar Express, Beowulf, Christmas Carol....I forget what my point is now!

We've got a review of the Back to the Future Blu-rays due in an issue out a few weeks before the discs go on sale
emotion-21.gif

Superb
emotion-21.gif

Sliced Bread

gel:Clare Newsome:
Petruchio:I'm much more excited about Back To The Future trilogy coming to Bluray than Star Wars. At 33 I suppose I'm the right age for being a Star Wars "fan-boy", but I just never got it. The plots were flimsy, bad characterisation etc etc. The fact that Lucas has milked every penny out of the franchise puts me off even more. Can you imagine Zemekis living off films he made 25 years ago? No, he went onto make movies like Roger Rabbit, Contact (awesome movie), Forrest Gump, erm Polar Express, Beowulf, Christmas Carol....I forget what my point is now!

We've got a review of the Back to the Future Blu-rays due in an issue out a few weeks before the discs go on sale
emotion-21.gif

Superb
emotion-21.gif

Yep...I used to love the Star Wars films, but while I'll probably buy at least the original trilogy on Blu-ray, the endless marketing (and not to mention Episodes one and two) have left me feeling a bit cold about the whole saga...thank you Mr Lucas! He giveth, he taketh away!

Back To The Future Trilogy and the upcoming Aliens Anthology are far more exciting prospects imo
emotion-1.gif

Nyorker

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
Sliced Bread: Back To The Future Trilogy and the upcoming Aliens Anthology are far more exciting prospects imo
emotion-1.gif

Agreed!!
emotion-21.gif

Because they're coming out in 2 months rather thanf next year...? ;)

2 quick points:

- like I said, the prequels themselves were not the problem; the problem was Lucas's writing!

- It's my believe that movies like Star Wars and Jaws helped cinema, perhaps not saving it from oblivion, but from becoming "filmed theater." Without these movies, we most likely would not have ET, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, Ghostbusters....the list goes on. Without George Lucas's innovations we would not have PIXAR as well.

and Re: Harrison Ford

He's also responsible for one of the most memorable impromptu lines in film history: in ESB, when he's prepared to be frozen, Princess Leia tells him: "I Love You," and he replies "I know."

That wasn't in the script originally, and George supposedly went Greedo on him, but in the end the line stayed...

Sliced Bread

Nyorker:FrankHarveyHiFi:
Sliced Bread: Back To The Future Trilogy and the upcoming Aliens Anthology are far more exciting prospects imo
emotion-1.gif

Agreed!!
emotion-21.gif

Because they're coming out in 2 months rather thanf next year...? ;)

2 quick points:

- like I said, the prequels themselves were not the problem; the problem was Lucas's writing!

- It's my believe that movies like Star Wars and Jaws helped cinema, perhaps not saving it from oblivion, but from becoming "filmed theater." Without these movies, we most likely would not have ET, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, Ghostbusters....the list goes on. Without George Lucas's innovations we would not have PIXAR as well.

and Re: Harrison Ford

He's also responsible for one of the most memorable impromptu lines in film history: in ESB, when he's prepared to be frozen, Princess Leia tells him: "I Love You," and he replies "I know."

That wasn't in the script originally, and George supposedly went Greedo on him, but in the end the line stayed...

The problem is though...Mr Lucas lost his spark.

Also the endless marketing has stopped it from being something special. To me it feels a bit like Christmas shopping in August...by the time christmas comes, your already bored of it.

A

Anonymous

You have to admit the ones when we were growing up were fantastic, but the modern films are really poor. The acting is wooden and the CGI spoils it.

He is milking millions of bucks out of really poor films..

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Agreed. the first film, Star Wars: A New Hope (Episode IV), looked amazing when I was a nipper back in 1977, but the more recent ones look so fake with all that CGI.

A

Anonymous

It may be that when we were younger there was nothing around like the fils and it seemed real to us (ET was good to). Now we are so used to slick looking films (apart from 2012) that they seemed so naff compared to them.

Agreed though, the first 3 films were magical when I was a kid growing up.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Agree the first 3 were great as a kid.

The recent ones rubbish. I think the first ones work for adults and kids, with good acting, and are by turns exciting, scary, and funny. The latest ones for me just play to the children and that's where they lost something. The episode 3 was a bit better, but even then ...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts