Stands for Wharfedale D9.1

Wes Mason

Jun 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi All,

Merry Xmas/NY and all that.

I managed to pick up a new pair of D9.1's over the holidays, clearance stock and much cheaper than normal. I had been thinking about a second system in the lounge room using an old Onkyo Receiver (130 watts per channel) and these were too good to pass up.

Just need some advice on speaker stands, say between 18-24 inch and they probably need to be available in Australia as well.

Have most of my CD's on iTunes (I use a Mac) in the study which is across the passage from the lounge. Was going to use AirTunes to get the sound to one of the Receiver inputs but will have a CD player connected as well, if anyone has any suggestions on that front as well. Alternatively, might just go with an iPod dock and the CD Player and do it that way.

Cheers,

Wes

John Duncan

I had my Diamonds on Apollo AZ6s, which are 24" and are just the right height. I actually got them for nothing on A Well Known Auction Site, but that's another story. Atacama Nexus would work well as well.

Totally support your Airtunes plan, its what I do - Airport Express streaming lossless files into a quality DAC will beat CD players several times the price* - but still have a CD player for the odd occasion when a CD needs to be played.

*oh yes it will

Wes Mason

Jun 12, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Again John,

I will look for the Apollo stands here in Oz. Good to hear the AirTunes option is a good one, I also have a X-24K and X-PSU that I'll probably use for the conversion into the receiver.

Cheers,

Wes

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Hi Wes,

I'm also from Oz and have just got myself a pair of 9.1s on the cheap! I'm using them as the speakers for my first foray into computer audio - from my imac ÿ- KingRex dac - Rotel amp - 9.1s. They're great little speakers and a bargain at the AUD $299 I paid for them.

Cheers, hope you enjoy your diamonds.

JWÿ

Wes Mason

Jun 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi JW,

That's great. I have two G4's and a MacBook Pro so I'm thinking of dedicating the second G4 as a Music and Movie 'Hub' or just filling it with HDD and locate my iTunes Library on it.

I'm assuming I can network it to my other G4 with Firewire or similar and it should mount it as a volume?

Incidentally, I purchased TuneRanger to sync all my iTunes Library's and I can't get it to work. Anyway, that's probably beyond the scope of this forum, I have B&W Matrix in the main system but I've always wanted a pair of Diamond's (since I considered them as my first decent speakers when they were the Diamond IV) and am so glad I was able to get them at a good price.

Enjoy,

Wes

ÿ

Wes Mason

Jun 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi Again John and thanks again,

I will probably start off with the old Receiver to begin with (Onkyo) but in the long run would you suggest Arcam, Rotel or similar? I'm thinking something entry level but UK design.

As mentioned above, I have B&W in the other room but I am trying to move that toward being for movies (it's a home theatre) and some serious listening (have my Cambridge Audio 640p, Project RPM5, Marantz CD, DVD, SACD, DVD-A Player in there along with power amps, etc. but this is part of a move to put a fairly decent pair of speakers (the D9.1's) into a lounge room near the centre of the house (it's open plan) for non-critical listening or relaxation listening in the lounge area, hence the AirTunes, Amp, DAC and Speakers only.

Will let you know how I go but I can't seem to find out if I need two Airport Extreme's or one. I have a DLINK wireless router and thought that would be enough, with only the AirTunes to receive the music at the other end.

Cheers,

Wes

ÿ

John Duncan

Airport Extreme or Express? I'd have said since you have your wireless router, as long as range is good enough, an Airport Express is sufficient and will be able to join the wireless network and you can then stream from your PC to it (provided they're both on the same network, obviously).

Wes Mason

Jun 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi professorhat,

Thanks for that. I had just read somewhere that you needed to go Apple to Apple - i.e. Airport Card in Laptop or Desktop to Airport Express but it seems that you can go from a router to the Airport Express.

I will check this out with a Mac Forum I'm on and post the results here.

Cheers,

Wes

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts