Stands and Rack - Wood vs Steel

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

I am using Target stands for my EPOS and also a steel AV rack made by a local company Dome Audio. When I changed from putting my gear from just a normal wooden table to the steel Dome AV rack, I can hear much improvement on the sound quality from my set up.

However, over the past weekend, I was talking to the manager of Audio Timber Support (ATS) at the KL AV show and he said that wood is a better vibration absorber compared to steel. I have never tried using wooden racks nor stands. So, I decided to purchase one of their acacia wood stands complete with spikes and spike supports. The stands are pretty heavy, I reckon it weighs about 10 kgs each. I opted for a 30" height model.

Replaced the Target stands and the sound from EPOS completely changed, for the better of course. However, I am not sure whether it is because of the wood or the elvetade height of the speakers as my Target stands was only 24".

How true it is about the statement that wood is a better vibration absorber or dampener?

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I suppose that the answer to "how true it is about the statement that wood is a better vibration absorber or dampener?" is it depends how the rack or stand is designed. Bear in mind that Audio Timber Support are likey to be biased towards wooden racks and were angling to sell you one.

Personal preference must also play a part, I like the sound my kit makes on my Alphason (Steel supports, MDF shelves) rack, my friend preferred the sound it made on his Henley Designs rack, (wood frame, glass shelves). i find the glass shelves accentuate the treble where the MDF doesn't, my friend thinks the MDF sounds too "warm".

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Gwyndy,

Thanks for the reply. I suppose personal preference plays a big role as well. I had different experience with different material. Previously, I didnt have a dedicated hifi rack and was just using a wooden table. Once I changed to steel and glass rack from Dome Audio, the sound improved. But that is just for the sources and amp. For the EPOS, I have always used the steel Target stands. Now that I tried the wood stands, I must say the sound is even better. But as I mentioned, I dont know whether that is due to the material or the higher level of the speaker now (30" vs 24").

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts