Standmounts vs floorstanders

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I generally go for stand-mounts. At all volumes I find them to have a better soundstage and to be more focused with less cabinet singing along. I think floorstanders are technically inferior to standmounts. A domestic anti-development born out of the need for a slender, household friendly, furniture aesthetic. You won’t find many/any floorstanders in the ATC or PMC professional ranges. Even their monster pro-audio loudspeakers are monitors.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Gazzip said:
I generally go for stand-mounts. At all volumes I find them to have a better soundstage and to be more focused with less cabinet singing along. I think floorstanders are technically inferior to standmounts. A domestic anti-development born out of the need for a slender, household friendly, furniture aesthetic. You won’t find many/any floorstanders in the ATC or PMC professional ranges. Even their monster pro-audio loudspeakers are monitors.

Probably because the speakers need to be above mixing desk height and on wall or in wall .

I bet the internal volume of your standmounts is far greater than most floorstanders. *wink*

Going slightly off topic, how well do your MB2's perform at lowish volumes compared to the smaller PMC floorstanders you have owned in the past, just out of interest. *smile*

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Electro said:
Gazzip said:

Probably because the speakers need to be above mixing desk height and on wall or in wall .

I bet the internal volume of your standmounts is far greater than most floorstanders. *wink*

Going slightly off topic, how well do your MB2's perform at lowish volumes compared to the smaller PMC floorstanders you have owned in the past, just out of interest. *smile*

Although the internal volume of mine (and yours) is predominately transmission line...

A great deal of my listening is done at lower volumes and the MB2’s excel in this regard. The lower frequencies can still punch you in the chest even at very modest SP levels. Also the 75mm mid driver is just sublime at any volume. That pair in walnut is still for sale on theBay... *biggrin*

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Electro said:
Gazzip said:

Although the internal volume of mine (and yours) is predominately transmission line...

A great deal of my listening is done at lower volumes and the MB2’s excel in this regard. The lower frequencies can still punch you in the chest even at very modest SP levels. Also the 75mm mid driver is just sublime at any volume. That pair in walnut is still for sale on theBay... *biggrin*

That's good to know thank's .*good*

Yes I know and the price has been cut as well !

I am off to get a hammer and check my piggy bank.*biggrin*

If it hadn't been for the taxman I would have bought them already, now I only have six days to come up with the cash. *help*

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Stand mount for me, especially in a smallish room. Many cheaper floor standers are really a stand mount speaker in a hollow box, that will resonate and contribute to the sound. Obviously some will be better damped, but if I had a grand or so to spend I’d always go for a stand mounter and some good solid stands.

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
it seems I will be a lonely fighter, but I would go for floorstanders (bigger scale). I admit that standmounts can be more precise, faster, can have better imaging, but to be honest if we speak about well constructed speakers from the same range, the differences will be small. among the more expensive speakers I heard very fast floorstanders. (this all question depends also on amplifiers)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
kukulec said:
it seems I will be a lonely fighter, but I would go for floorstanders (bigger scale). I admit that standmounts can be more precise, faster, can have better imaging, but to be honest if we speak about well constructed speakers from the same range, the differences will be small. among the more expensive speakers I heard very fast floorstanders. (this all question depends also on amplifiers)
sorry but i do not agree with the others saying that floor standing speakers are not fast or precise it’s complete rubbish it depends on what floor standing speakers you buy in the first place

And a good quality floor standing speakers will be constructed and designed properly so not to resonate now the older cheaper Japanese speakers out years ago used to do that as they used very cheap cone baskets which used to resonate inside and the same could be said about stand mounted speakers too .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts