Standmount speakers

MoJoe

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone help me put together a shortlist of entry level standmounters that can perform when close against a wall please.

For use in a small room. can stretch to £200 if I find a good deal. Got a pairof stands already.

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
1. WHARFEDALE - DIAMOND 10.1 BOOKSHELF SPEAKER2. Q Acoustics 2020i Bookshelf Speaker3. Tannoy Mercury V1 Bookshelf Speakers only £1504. Richer Sounds has the Cambridge Audio Areo 2's on sale.
TSP £349.95 SAVE £100

NOW £249.95

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Happy_Listner said:
Tannoy Mercury V1 Bookshelf Speakers only £150

I thought of the Tannoys too. My parents have a pair, right up against the wall, and they still sound very decent. If this Richer Sounds offer is about the old V1 (and not the i-version), that looks like a good place to start. If it is the new V1i, the WHF-review is not so positive, when placed against the wall.

If you would consider second hand, the Mission 760i (or even better 760iSE) are very fit for purpose - and often cheap as chips.

MoJoe

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the ideas. Those v1 are going for £100 in richer sounds at the minute. I like the look of the monitor audio bx2 and the b&w 685. Considering this is for a second room I might just wait until the right 2nd hand deal comes along as I am now thinking about an amp to go with. I'm starting to feel like there is no point in buying something I'll only want to upgrade at the first opportunity. I'm at a bit of a loss.

MoJoe

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I've actually decided to buy a better pair of speakers than I can afford. Gonna give myself a budget of about £800. Been doing a bit of auditioning and so far a pair of B&W at £600 are my preferred choice. Anyway, thanks for the advice so far.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
MoJoe said:
I've actually decided to buy a better pair of speakers than I can afford. Gonna give myself a budget of about £800. Been doing a bit of auditioning and so far a pair of B&W at £600 are my preferred choice. Anyway, thanks for the advice so far.

Bit 'blah' looks wise, but have you tried the Epos?

MoJoe

May 27, 2013
Visit site
No. I've not heard of them. I tried monitor audio as well just. i think those b&w look great but that is not what i am making my choice on. I live in Ireland so we've not got the selection that some of you guys in England do.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
MoJoe said:
No. I've not heard of them. I tried monitor audio as well just. i think those b&w look great but that is not what i am making my choice on. I live in Ireland so we've not got the selection that some of you guys in England do.

Understood. Epos are not that common over here either.

I very much understand the need for something that is visually apealing, you do have to live with them which is why I considered going against my usual practice and considered apair of SF Venere 1.5 in my (currently hypothetical) ideal £2k playback system.

More expensive than I would normally look to spend in this context, but very pretty....... 8)

D

Deleted member 108165

If your not into heaving bass then PMC DB1 all the way. Product finish is a little lacklustre for the price but SQ....amazing! Like another member on here I got these and never looked back. But I guess it all depends on what you're going to connect them to, however, they seem to partner perfectly with almost anything. Just my 2p's worth.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
DougK said:
If your not into heaving bass then PMC DB1 all the way. Product finish is a little lacklustre for the price but SQ....amazing! Like another member on here I got these and never looked back. But I guess it all depends on what you're going to connect them to, however, they seem to partner perfectly with almost anything. Just my 2p's worth.

Good call, though the amplification needs to be pretty decent. I thought this model had been discontinued but the 'Gold' varient seems to be available.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts