Standmount shortlist help required

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
What with no single dealer have more than about one of these at any time, I'm struggling to get my shortlist any shorter and so I'm looking for some opinions from anyone who may have heard any or all of these: - B&W 685 - Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2 - ATC SCM11 - PMC DB1i These will be paired with a Cyrus 8vs2 amp. I'll be doing low-level listening at least some of the time (whenever the neighbours are in). The room is about 5m x 4m. Price-wise, the PMCs are at about the limit. I really hope there are some opinions out there...

Hi Rs. I've only heard the PMC's they sound really good. I would try and think about Dynoaudio Audience 52's. Not only are they a good match with Cyrus but also you might find some deals. There are one or two members here who like the Rega R1 or R3, although I've never listened to them. I hope this hasn't confused you even more.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Rega R3. £500 and superb with cyrus. PMC/ATC are not ideal for low level listening. The ATC's imo sound boring and are exceedingly ugly, the PMC's have an ill defined bass and it is typical of a speaker trying to sound bigger/bassier than it possibly and reasonably can given the diminutive size but they are nevertheless impressive and reasonably dynamic if small size is absolutely essential. I have'nt heard the MS's and as for the 685's ... your amplifier deserves better. None sound as good as the R3. My opinion only as always but I'm usually right
emotion-5.gif

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i really agree with you about the bass from the pmc's, compared to the proac studio 110 i heard at the same time, the bass just thudded. as soon as i can get it organised i'm gonna follow up drummermans recommendation about the r3 from a similar thread i started.

pekers678

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Probably biased, but I would go for the B&W 685. I own the B&W 686, and they are astonishing speakers. I could look at them all day, and they sound even better. You like bass, well bass is great, and with some decent cable (I use Chord Carnival Silver) treble and bass separation is fantastic, even without biwireing.

685 for me.....

A

Anonymous

If you can try them I'd have a listen to the Dynaudio focas 110's, them are a *** to drive but boy can they sing!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all of the replys. I knew I was opening myself up to another barrage of suggestions by posting, but then that's what it's all about, eh?

Am I right in thinking that as much of my listening will be at low levels, and that the room I'm trying to fill with sound is quite small, speaker sensitivity is not as important as it might otherwise be? Or am I well off track with that thinking?

A

Anonymous

Focus 110 will sound okay with the 8vs2 but need the MonoX to get going.

I'd suggest the Spendor s3e.

pekers678

May 24, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="RSWarnett"]
Am I right in thinking that as much of my listening will be at low levels, and that the room I'm trying to fill with sound is quite small, speaker sensitivity is not as important as it might otherwise be? Or am I well off track with that thinking?
[/quote]

This might be wrong, but surely sensitivity would be at the top of your list would be sensitivity if low level listening is key? E.g. the more sensitivity, the less you need to have the volume up to hear it. Sensitivity for me, I would recommend at least 89db or above.

But then again I see what you mean, so you think that if you don't need it loud, you could have the amp on -20db and not be worried that it isn't blaring out. . . . in which case, you're right, sensitivity isn't as important, but the less stress you put on the amp. the happier it'll be and the less heat it'll churn out, and you don't want lots of heat in a small room, I know, I'm sat in one now!

A

Anonymous

I must agree with you, since adding the xp200 the dyn's sound so much better

A

Anonymous

I just wanted to post and ending to this story (or at least this chapter), since I find it helpful to see how someone else's problem was finally resolved.

In short, I chose the B&W 685 speakers. My final audition was between them and the Spendor S3e. While I felt that the Spendors were ultimately capable of more than the B&Ws, the crucial factor for me was that the B&Ws provided fairly consistent characteristics at both low and high volumes, whereas the Spendors gave less at low volumes.

Given that much of my listening will have to be at low volumes (terraced house), having as much body and weight at low volumes as I have at higher volumes was really important to me.

it also leaves me with plenty of scope for speaker upgrades in the future, which I think is a great thing and big part of what buying into this level is all about, is it not?

Similarly, I went for Chord Silver Anniversary XT Biwire on the basis that once I have found the ideal positioning (and so can make do with less that 12m of cables) and am ready for it, I can look for something better as an upgrade,

A

Anonymous

Don't listen to Drummerman, he doesn't know what he's talking about. The ATC's aren't boring, they're just neutral - something most speaker manufacturers can't manage. As for the PMC's, hifi news measured them and said it's impossible to implement such a short Transmission line (1m). I'm sure the mordaunt shorts sound good but i'd go for the ATC's anyday. I own scm40's and they out-perform anything under £3000. I defy anyone to name a speaker in this price bracket that is better

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts