Stand mounts vs floor standers

bonenut

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi,I have a little studio/man cave at the end of my garden(11 x13 feet) that I am looking for new speakers.i bought a pair of b&w cm9's off a friend when he was leaving the country.they sounded great in his front but sounded boomy in my(his room was 13 x 15 feet.

i tried every possible situation with the placement of the speakers to no avail and gave in last week and sold them for the same money I paid for them.

i am thinking now that stand mounts will be a better fit.......looking at Harbeth speakers as they have them in a local shop.

any other speakers in that type of family that I should look at.they also have dynaudio,splendor,jmr,bowers,quad.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I think we need to know more about the construction of your 'end-of-the-garden' listening room.

Is it wooden, or sound proofed, or brick, or brick plus airbrick with cavities, or plastered on the inside, does the floor have a cavity underneath ... ?????

I would always tend to use bookshelf/standmounts in a small to medium space anyway but that's my taste.

You might even consider a couple of brackets or little shelves for each speaker.

Rather than spend a fortune (initially) why not get some JPW Sonatas - or similar - from ebay for a few tenners and experiment with them first? They have sealed enclosures and are quite compact like the Harbeths.

You'd get all your money back reselling them (after proving whether compact bookshelf speakers with sealed enclosures work or not).

bonenut

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
The room is a solid block built room with 70mm insulation board on each wall with a flat roof insulated with kingspan.it is decorated with a few chairs and a few rugs.it has two pvc doors and a window.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
When I saw this I assumed you were talking about used Harbeths at a local shop, not new ones.

If they're used, at a good discount over new, and provided they work properly and aren't completely banged up (a few sratches on the cabinets won't hurt the sound, lets face it), go buy the second-hand Harbeths and some decent stands to put them on. If they're new, see if you can borrow them overnight to try them out, or failign that take your amp and CDP or whatever and your cables to the shop and try them out. End of discussion.

Contact Harbeth for their opinions about putting them on wall brackets or shelves before you do. I suspect they'll be quite happy to be used like this, as they're usually used in BBC radio studios and the like (Harbeth is still the BBC's go-to speaker supplier, I believe).

PS buy a few mouse traps and put them round the bases of the stands, just in case. Rodents + speakers are not a good mix.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Concrete box, with some insulation boards on the walls. You might find any speaker is going to sound "boomy" in that environment.

Try borrowing some of the lounge furniture or hanging some old rugs on the walls before you part with cash.

I keep saying this, and I don't think anyone really beleives me, but my paternal grandfather was a chief engineer at BBC Bristol between 1936 and 1968. In those times of severe austerity they used to line the studio walls with those old fashioned carboard / papier mache' egg trays to reduce sound reflections and "boominess", especially in WW2 - the studios were moved into bombproof bunkers deep underground, and the Clifton side of the Avon Gorge in Bristol - right under BBC Bristol on Whiteladies Road - is a rabbit warren of tunnels and man-made caves. At one point they excavated a complete set of rooms to evacuate the entire Houses of Parliament to Bristol. My grandfather managed all the electrical work, which meant lots of asbestos in those days, which is why he died of asbestosis-induced bronchitis at just 72.

bonenut

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
'concrete box with some insulation boards'..........excuse me but its a properly built room,just like(if not better)than any room in any house.

i just wanted some advice on what would work in a smaller room and if anyone had any experience of a room like mine.cheers.

bonenut

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
When I saw this I assumed you were talking about used Harbeths at a local shop, not new ones.

If they're used, at a good discount over new, and provided they work properly and aren't completely banged up (a few sratches on the cabinets won't hurt the sound, lets face it), go buy the second-hand Harbeths and some decent stands to put them on. If they're new, see if you can borrow them overnight to try them out, or failign that take your amp and CDP or whatever and your cables to the shop and try them out. End of discussion.

Contact Harbeth for their opinions about putting them on wall brackets or shelves before you do. I suspect they'll be quite happy to be used like this, as they're usually used in BBC radio studios and the like (Harbeth is still the BBC's go-to speaker supplier, I believe).

PS buy a few mouse traps and put them round the bases of the stands, just in case. Rodents + speakers are not a good mix.

yes they are used harbeths,for 1100euro and they are mint.i prefer to buy used so i can move them on easily without much loss.cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts