Stacking Equipment under a TV

Hi Fi Decision

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I have a 32" Cathode Ray Tube TV on a stand and I place my CD player and amp below the TV on the same stand. A dealer told me not to do this as the electromagnet from the TV could interfere with the CD and amp. Is this true or is he trying to sell me a Hi Fi rack ?!

I understand not to place speakers close to a TV as they can distort the picture but I have never heard of not stacking my equipment below a TV before.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Must say I haven't heard of this sales approach before.

I have however had all my equipment on a rack below the TV but never noticed any ill effects (not that I would know what to listen for but I would presume some hiss or buzz). I would have asked him why there's no such recommendations in the home cinema world where amps/dvd players/laserdisc/etc are placed under televisions.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Hi Fi Decision

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. The dealer said there would be no problem if my TV was LCD or plasma but the problem being it is a cathode ray tube (CRT) TV with a huge electromagnet inside thant could interfere with the equipment. However he also said the glass shelves of my stand would effect the sound!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts