Stacking components - views/experience

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

I have to move my kit around so that it gets the seal of approval from the missus - this will mean that I will need to stack two of my components on top of each other. They're all sitting on a solid sideboard.

Anyway, question is - seeing as I have little choice - what is the best thing to stack with what?

So do I stack the cd player with the integrated amp (which I'm using as a pre) or the integrated with the power? Also, what should go on top? I've heard various opinions but I'd be interested in getting some here.

Thanks

John Duncan

The power probably needs room to breathe, so I'd stack the integrated with the CD player, amp on top. You might even find that something weighty on top of your CD player improves sound quality!

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Don't stack them. Vibration and electrical interference can play (relative) havoc with performance.

If you must stack them, then don't stack anything on top of your amplifier.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Simon Lucas"]

Don't tell my missus I said that.[/quote]

emotion-3.gif

emotion-9.gif
emotion-9.gif
emotion-9.gif

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]

emotion-3.gif

emotion-9.gif
emotion-9.gif
emotion-9.gif

[/quote]

Don't say you've told her already, Thaiman. I'll get home tonight and all my hi-fi will be in one teetering mound.

A

Anonymous

This 'missus' is pretty tolerant but there are times when a line can't be crossed! So, for the moment at least, its a stack of some type or another.

I did it last night and put the cd player on top of the amp and left the power on its own - rationale - the cd player is lighter than the heavier amp - seems like I got that wrong!!!

Other option is putting the power inside the sideboard but am worried about it overheating.

Hob nobs should always be stacked in my opinion so you can see the pile disappearing as you tuck in...

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="bambam101"]Other option is putting the power inside the sideboard but am worried about it overheating.[/quote]

How much clearance will it have in there? Is it enclosed on all six sides?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Simon Lucas"]How much clearance will it have in there? Is it enclosed on all six sides?[/quote]

Now you're just toying with Thaiman's emotions, Simon...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Simon Lucas"][quote user="bambam101"]Other option is putting the power inside the sideboard but am worried about it overheating.[/quote]

How much clearance will it have in there? Is it enclosed on all six sides?[/quote]

Probably about 4" at the back and a couple each side, maybe 1" on top. The only vent is a gap that you use to open the door. Will have some holes in the back to route cables as well. For info - its a Rotel RB-1070. I could put it in the bottom section and it would lots more space above it but then I lose loads of storage!

These Hob nobs pics are making me look for food - didn't realise there was a fetish scene with them!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, depending on how much sideboard surgery you want to do, you could install a fan in there, which would have the effect of drawing an airflow over the amp and thus keeping it cool. But it's going to be pretty marginal.

You could put in the lower section and bore some holes through the panel under the amp, thus allowing air in - that, plus a fan to the rear set to extract hot air, might do the trick, but no guarantees.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, I'm a bit reluctant to take some tools to the cabinet!! As once I'd stopped mashing it about we'd change things around...

Maybe stacking is the best way to go for the time being...amp on top of cd player seems to be consensus so far...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="bambam101"]Maybe stacking is the best way to go for the time being...amp on top of cd player seems to be consensus so far...[/quote]

Thought I'd better answer again as Simon is a bit Thai'd up right now...

emotion-24.gif
emotion-48.gif

Stacking the amp on the CD player is really far from good.

Just a thought, though - if you're only using the integrated as a pre - ie not in a biamp set-up - couldn't you invest in some longer interconnect runs and snaffle the power amp away somewhere in the room out of sight?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Do you know, I hadn't considered that. Have you had positive results?[/quote]

Well, mixed. I found twice the input signal resulted in a fuller, richer satisfaction. Trouble is, as this went on, I found I was becoming less responsive to movement...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

[quote user="bambam101"]Maybe stacking is the best way to go for the time being...amp on top of cd player seems to be consensus so far...[/quote]

Thought I'd better answer again as Simon is a bit Thai'd up right now...

emotion-24.gif
emotion-48.gif

Stacking the amp on the CD player is really far from good.

Just a thought, though - if you're only using the integrated as a pre - ie not in a biamp set-up - couldn't you invest in some longer interconnect runs and snaffle the power amp away somewhere in the room out of sight?

[/quote]

Defintely worth a thought and some investigation. We'll be adding an av set-up to the same room at some point so i may be able to work in a rack of some kind and stack them properly. I know putting the amp on top of the cd player is far from ideal but trying to get to the least worst result in the short term!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts