Squuezebox, how does it *work*?

John Duncan

It runs as a client to a 'device' running Squeezeserver (or whatever it's called this week). This can be a PC running pretty much any OS (windows, OSX, linux) or many NASes. The standard paradigm os pull rather than push, so not sure if you can control a squeezebox from the server (ie in your case where you want the laptop to be the controller), but you can certainly control from iThings and Android devices. An actual squeezebox user will be along in a minute with real information...

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Happy New Year!

Well the Squeezebox concept is quite a bit more than a glorified remote control!
On my setup, I have a Logitech Touch which is connected via a coaxial cable to the digital input of my Onkyo receiver.
It's communicating with my NAS box (where all the music lives) using WiFi, so when I select a song, the Touch gets the music track wirelessly then sends it down the cable to the Onkyo, simple as that.
So in reality the Touch acts as a control centre for the NAS music, DAC, internet radio and can access any music files on any wireless device that you give it permission for.
All the album artwork appears on the Touch's screen as well.
Here in Norway it also accesses a music service called WIMP, a "Spotify" like service, so nearly all music is on demand.

You can even log in from your laptop or iPad/iPhone and control everything from there as well, wherever you are.
If I'm at work and hear a great song, or my wife can't find a specific song title, I can "wake up" the Touch by logging in to www.mysqueezebox.com and then controlling everything as if I was sitting next to it. (the Touch, not my wife!)

Installing multiple SqueezeBox units in different parts of the house will enable you to decide what music streams to what location, simple as that.

As a collector of DTS surround albums, I found it super convenient as it also outputs a pure DTS signal to the receiver so no more messing about with 100's of DTS CDs.

So technically speaking, it accesses your music files and streams them digitally to your HiFi and it's really excellent quality.
If someone comes to the party with a flash drive or USB HD with music on it, I just stick it in the back of the Touch and it reads the drives.

Simples!

A

Anonymous

Can you control spotify from it as well and would it need to be pc based?

A

Anonymous

Spotify works really well. I control either through the controller or web interface or on my android phone. It also makes Spotify gapless...ie concept albums that run from one song to the next do it properly.

SteveR750

amcluesent said:
The Sqeezebox Touch is like your "Sony Viao / J River MC17 / CA DACMagic Plus" all rolled into one, but with more features.

I assumed it replaced Sony Viao + J River MC17 only? (I am assumed though that it would use the Viao as an NAS, and pull the files from it over my wi fi network?

I don't want to replace the dacmagic plus!

Indeed it is a little more than just a glorified remote!

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
>Indeed it is a little more than just a glorified remote!<

You'd be best off buying a Sonos ZP90. As you need to buy it's remote contol seperately, you'll be sure the ZP90 does something else.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
It's a PITA having your laptop on all the time just to access music, which is why a NAS drive is the way to go.
The SqueezeBox remote software for the iPad/iPhone really is quite excellent.
Artwork appears on the remote and the Touch screen at the same time.
Plus the fact that the Touch & NAS combo is only the first step.
You can keep on adding units that will also be able to access the SqueezeBox server, such as the little Logitech Radio, that is neat for the kid's bedroom or your bathroom.
This has a built in speaker, amp and color screen that displays the artwork, etc.

When using the remote control software, all your devices are displayed and you simply assign which songs/playlists get sent to which device.
There are of course other systems on the market, but none at this price point.
In Norway, I picked up the Touch for around £140 which is considerably less than the £3000 Crestron based system that it replaced.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts