Squeezebox vs Sonneteer BardUSB

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm moving to HK soon and have ripped all my cd's onto a HD in WMA Lossless format. Have also bought a Cambridge Audio Azur CD and Amp combo to take with me.

I want to be able to stream music from my laptop to the amp using either Squeezebox or BardUSB. Question is, which one has the better sound quality?

Thx

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
The Squeezebox is good, but we particularly rated the Sonneteer Bard USB for its sound quality, with good levels of detail and bass, and top-end clarity. It's long been a five-star favourite of ours.

One of the advantages of the Bard USB is that it doesn't compress the signal being transmitted, although of course the system can only relay accurately the source material it is given to play with. If you're using WMA Lossless files, that should be fine, so I'd go with the Sonneteer. It's also incredibly easy to set up.

A

Anonymous

Thx Andy. I'll go with the Bard then.

Next question. I said I was going to get the Cambridge combo with Wharfdale Diamond 9.1 speakers. Been thinking and not sure I need a CD player anymore. Also, would really like a pair of floor standers (even though apartment in HK will be small).

So am thinking Q Acoustics 1030 speakers with Rotel RA-04 or Cambridge Azur 550A amps or maybe stretch ro Roksan Kandy L.III. Or anything in between :) All fed by the Bard.

To put into context, current system is Pioneer A400 Amp, Philips CD840 CD, Epos ES11 speakers. Yes, I know !!! Should I stick to that or would the Azur / Rotel amps be much better then the A400. And the 1030's better then the ES11's?

Oh, did I mention the Rega 3 turntable which is still my pride and joy?

Boy an I confused now

Please help.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Have you bought the Cambridge combo yet? Your first post suggested you had, the second not, so now I'm confused too!

If you're mainly going to play music from your laptop to the amp/speakers, then I would stick with the Cambridge/Wharfedale combo as that will be more than up to the task. I wouldn't fixate on floorstanding speakers particularly, especially in a small apartment. Standmounts can be just as effective, especially in a small space.

The Roksan Kandy L.III is a great amp, but I would only upgrade to that if you intend to play a lot of vinyl on your Rega 3.

So it comes down to how much music you'll listen to from the laptop, and how much on the turntable. You'll still get better sound quality from a dedicated CD player, but if all your CDs are stored away somewhere and everything's ripped to the hard drive, then yes, maybe a CD player is superfluous. That help?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

No, I haven't bought the Cambridge combo yet - still in thinking stages. I am not taking my CD's or records/Rega (sob) to HK so all my cd's are now ripped onto HD.

So I'll skip the CD player and stick to Amp/speakers. As an alternative to the Azur/Wharfedale, what would u suggest to go with the Q Acoustics? I'm thinking of using them as AV speakers as well as for the music.

Thx once again.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
If you're thinking of using the Q Acoustics as AV speakers, are you buying a separate AV amp in addition to the stereo amp? You hadn't mentioned any home cinema requirements before!

A

Anonymous

No was just going to plug into audio amp - just 2 speakers - trying to save space.

AV is secondary - just wanted an idea of what amp would work well with Q Acoustics.

A

Anonymous

Have decided on the PC/WMA lossless via Sonneteer BardUSB feeding Rotel RA04 thru to Monitor Audio BR2's

Thx

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts