Squeezebox touch & Rega Dac questions

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi , I'm considering to buy something like Squeezebox touch ... Does Rega Dac improve sound of Squeezebox touch significantly?

i have noticed that more members of this forum have this kind of setup . Will be possible to run 64GB pendrive with flacs and hi res flacs via usb port ? I know there is a problem with external hard drives . Thank You

Si Conaugt

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Can't comment on the rega dac/squeezebox combo but I can tell you that I run my squeezebox with an external hard drive with no problems. I have a vague awareness that there has been a difficulty with some external hard drives but this may have even been resolved by now. Search for a squeezebox specific forum on google for further info on what hard drives will definately work if you are concerned. There is at least one very good site that will tell you everything you need to know. I would think that the 64gb pen drive would also work. If you do decide on an external hard drive then it may be worth getting one that has it's own power supply rather than using the usb for power as rumour has it that they work more reliably with the squeezebox.

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
What ex. hard drive are you using ? are you running mp3 , flac of hi res ? I'm thinking about toshiba canvio 320 gb and usb hub

with external power sup. or mentioned pen drive .

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Phil Opian said:
google for further info on what hard drives will definately work.
Unfortunately, there's no such thing. There's just too many variables around library size, file size/type, artwork,etc. If you investigate the Squeezebox forums you will find those that say they don't have any issues with any drives & those (like me) who couldn't make it work reliably with any drive.

By all means give it a go but my advice would be to go into it expecting it to have to run a PC/Mac/NAS server. That way you won't be disappointed if a USB drive doesn't work for you.

As for an external DAC, it will likely sound different but only you can decide if it sounds better. ;)

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I agree on the above. Although you can connect an USB drive to a squeezebox I would seriously suggest to invest in a NAS. Initially it's an investment for sure, but having a NAS around for serving my Squeezebox have been a winner from the start.

As for the Rega DAC? Yes, it's gonna be an improvement. I'm aware of the improved DAC inside the Squeezebox Touch compared to previous models, but no way you can beat the solid power supply from the Rega DAC. Just have a listen :)

A

Anonymous

Hi, I believe the short answer to: will the rega dac give you a "significant" improvement is, no. Spending your money on better speakers/headphones is a wiser investment. I performed an ABX test with an audio gd NFB-2 DAC and the internal SB DAC with a friend and we could not tell the difference! Let alone which was better. The fact is, modern day electronics are very good and the SB Touch DAC is fantastic! Others will disagree, and you might go ahead and pull the trigger on the rega and even convince yourself it sounds better (our musical memory is terrible and quite vulnerable to the power of suggestion) but I contest that if you perform a proper ABX comparison you'll find there was no "significant" improvement.

A

Anonymous

So they do, sorry, I didn't read the inventory :)... I still stand by my previous comments, which are still relavent, especially to the question of noticing a significant improvement in sound from the SB Touch using the rega DAC., I should add, I had trouble running my SB Touch from an external HDD. I haven't tried a thumb drive, but as a wireless streamer it is absolutely fantastic!

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Unless the OP was considering selling the Rega DAC, I think the interesting question was actually:

"Will the SB touch (via co-ax to a Rega DAC) improve on a PC via the V-Link to the Rega?"

I would guess that there wouldn't be much in it, the actual result would depend a bit on the PC setup.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I (very recently) acquired SBT and am currently experimenting with different configurations before starting to tinker with software/hardware mods. IE need to get customised to sound and difference from DVD - DAC Magic I -Amp - Speakers.

I have used USB drive with Flacs and hi res and worked fine. Only really as test to get started. Now streaming and building up CD collection.

I did some listening last night to a particular CD playing on DVD and SBT at same time. Also connected Chord Crimsons from SBT - AMP, Chord Coax - Dac Magic - Chord Crimson - Amp and lastly DVD (Marantz DV 6001) - Chord Crimson - Amp.

I can then switch on the fly between 3 sources. to compare.

The Dvd player is smoother / warmer/fuller sounding. Also when using DAC with DVD as a seperate test is much better defined sound but I only have 1 Coax for testing.

The SBT sounds cleaner, thinner and more transparent to me. Better detail and notes seem to have more decay but are harsher (digital) sounding, some CDs better than others. Getting more customised to this although not entirely my taste. Some work to do here.

The SBT Dac was good but sounded a little less clear (muffled) and quieter in comparison to Dac Magic. Certainly not huge difference though.

Hi Res (only freebie classical to date) sounds very realistic using SBT DAC.

I will be looking for Rega Dac Demo once I have tweaked as much as possible, I did briefly hear the Rega Dac with SBT at dealer whilst dropping off some stuff and did definately sound better. How much better only home trial and more time to listen will tell full extent.

Have to say am impressed with SBT and works like a dream. For cost (£155) it is amazing.

Would be nice to test SBT using mid and high end DACs to hear what improvements (differences) are. Also was thinking of Sneaky but not got the funds for this for a while.

Will have to report more once I have used some more.

Note - Amp - Nait 5i-2 and Speakers Neat Motive 3 so have a fairly revealing system so DAC changes maybe more noticable perhaps?

Ambrose

A

Anonymous

It's my opinion, that the only credible way to compare two DACs is with an ABX test. The fact is our musical memory is quite poor and our subjective opinion is vulnerable to the power of suggestion. For a proper ABX test, the levels must be matched.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Ambrose said:
Hi,

I (very recently) acquired SBT and am currently experimenting with different configurations before starting to tinker with software/hardware mods. IE need to get customised to sound and difference from DVD - DAC Magic I -Amp - Speakers.

I have used USB drive with Flacs and hi res and worked fine. Only really as test to get started. Now streaming and building up CD collection.

I did some listening last night to a particular CD playing on DVD and SBT at same time. Also connected Chord Crimsons from SBT - AMP, Chord Coax - Dac Magic - Chord Crimson - Amp and lastly DVD (Marantz DV 6001) - Chord Crimson - Amp.

I can then switch on the fly between 3 sources. to compare.

The Dvd player is smoother / warmer/fuller sounding. Also when using DAC with DVD as a seperate test is much better defined sound but I only have 1 Coax for testing.

The SBT sounds cleaner, thinner and more transparent to me. Better detail and notes seem to have more decay but are harsher (digital) sounding, some CDs better than others. Getting more customised to this although not entirely my taste. Some work to do here.

The SBT Dac was good but sounded a little less clear (muffled) and quieter in comparison to Dac Magic. Certainly not huge difference though.

Hi Res (only freebie classical to date) sounds very realistic using SBT DAC.

I will be looking for Rega Dac Demo once I have tweaked as much as possible, I did briefly hear the Rega Dac with SBT at dealer whilst dropping off some stuff and did definately sound better. How much better only home trial and more time to listen will tell full extent.

Have to say am impressed with SBT and works like a dream. For cost (£155) it is amazing.

Would be nice to test SBT using mid and high end DACs to hear what improvements (differences) are. Also was thinking of Sneaky but not got the funds for this for a while.

Will have to report more once I have used some more.

Note - Amp - Nait 5i-2 and Speakers Neat Motive 3 so have a fairly revealing system so DAC changes maybe more noticable perhaps?

Ambrose

Maybe silly questions...but is there any way to "exclude" phisically the built-in DAC within the SB if you connect another external DAC through coax?

Other question...where did you find a SB at 155GBP? :D

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
For what it's worth, these are my findings with Squeezebox DACs:

SB2/3/Classic vs Beresford Caiman (original) - Caiman was noticably better.

SB2/3/Classic vs Touch - Touch was noticably better.

Touch vs Caiman - No noticable difference.

Touch vs Leema Pulse III - Leema slightly different.*

*I haven't had chance to do some proper AB testing of Touch vs Leema, mainly due to the anoying switching & volume levelling on the Leema. I think it's better but it's certainly different. Using only pricing as a guide, that's what I'd expect with the Rega: different but not necessarily better as it will then become a matter of taste.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi Doubles,

I agree it is difficult to compare when levels are not consistent. However I could tell a clear difference between DVD player and SBT as it simply sounded different.

Comparing the SBT DAC to External Dac Magic is harder as level is lower on SBT DAC and difference in sound presentation was not as clear cut as compared to DVD player.

My percection of Dac magic was a bit brighter / cleaner / open than SBT Dac, albeit not scientificly tested :grin:

Will have another listen tonight if time allows.

Ambrose

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi acalex,

Been watching your forum posts with interest :)

Tricky knowing what to get these days with so many options and getting best bang for buck!

Google soundcheck toolbox. I have yet to implement but looks interesting and addressing your point. Not sure about physically removing parts from within SBT?

I was very lucky that someone posted 40% off voucher on forum as Logitech were doing promotion a while ago. Prices on Amazon have fluctuated this low from what I have read as well. Just a matter of timing / luck I guess.

I hear you did not rate the sneaky that highly. What was missing that the magik had? Some rate the Sneaky as good as 2k cd spinner.

Cheers

Ambrose

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Ambrose said:
Hi acalex,

Been watching your forum posts with interest :) --> I know I have been quite active last period :D

Tricky knowing what to get these days with so many options and getting best bang for buck!

Google soundcheck toolbox. I have yet to implement but looks interesting and addressing your point. Not sure about physically removing parts from within SBT?

I was very lucky that someone posted 40% off voucher on forum as Logitech were doing promotion a while ago. Prices on Amazon have fluctuated this low from what I have read as well. Just a matter of timing / luck I guess.

I hear you did not rate the sneaky that highly. What was missing that the magik had? Some rate the Sneaky as good as 2k cd spinner.

Cheers

Ambrose

The toolbox looks indeed very interesting. Nothing will be phisically removed, just internal DAC disabled permanently and/or unused outputs. I have to read as well carefully, maybe tonight.

Regarding the Sneaky, I keep some reserve on my judgement because the dealer used an ampli+speakers which did not give full justice IMO (Cno said the same) to the gear itself. What really impressed me is the super and fast userfriendly interface that Linn product has. It was everything so simple through an Ipad and a NAS.

Yes without any doubt the Majik is better...it costs also 800 euro more (2k more or less). Didn't check the Akurate (next step for 5k eur) but I already said to the dealer I need to hear again the Sneaky and Majik through my gear...so its just a matter of time!
You are right...prices for SB are fluctuating a lot...can't find less than 220 eur now...which is already very good apparently

Anyway...I came to the conclusion that I will get myself the SB as a basic streamer, make all the testing/improvement I can and judge by myself if it is worth to go the Linn route or not. I indeed decide to spend my budget by changing ampli. You will see some few posts in the near future cz I am planning to demo everything before making the purchase...and for now I short-listed Musical Fidelity i6, Pathos (Logos or Ethos), Sudgen A21 se or Masterclass (ex-demo) and an AN Soro SE (ex-demo)...let's see...lot of fun anyway! ;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Ambrose said:
Hi acalex,

Been watching your forum posts with interest :) --> I know I have been quite active last period :D

Cheers

Ambrose

The toolbox looks indeed very interesting. Nothing will be phisically removed, just internal DAC disabled permanently and/or unused outputs. I have to read as well carefully, maybe tonight.

Regarding the Sneaky, I keep some reserve on my judgement because the dealer used an ampli+speakers which did not give full justice IMO (Cno said the same) to the gear itself. What really impressed me is the super and fast userfriendly interface that Linn product has. It was everything so simple through an Ipad and a NAS.

Yes without any doubt the Majik is better...it costs also 800 euro more (2k more or less). Didn't check the Akurate (next step for 5k eur) but I already said to the dealer I need to hear again the Sneaky and Majik through my gear...so its just a matter of time!
You are right...prices for SB are fluctuating a lot...can't find less than 220 eur now...which is already very good apparently

Anyway...I came to the conclusion that I will get myself the SB as a basic streamer, make all the testing/improvement I can and judge by myself if it is worth to go the Linn route or not. I indeed decide to spend my budget by changing ampli. You will see some few posts in the near future cz I am planning to demo everything before making the purchase...and for now I short-listed Musical Fidelity i6, Pathos (Logos or Ethos), Sudgen A21 se or Masterclass (ex-demo) and an AN Soro SE (ex-demo)...let's see...lot of fun anyway! ;)

Somebody call? :shifty:

Nopiano gave a brief insight into the Sneaky (post No.13) here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/olive-set-up

The only way to properly assess the Sneaky (or indeed the equivalent), is to hear it in a system you know and like (preferably your own), with familiar music. As a source, (imo) it isn't out of place in a highend system (as WHF found when they tested it).

A

Anonymous

I have a similar setup: SB Touch -> Rega DAC -> Nait XS -> Rega RS5s.

I've been unsatisifed with the setup for over a year. :)

Been trying a bunch of stuff, new speakers, new amp etc. etc.

As it turns out, the bottleneck of my system was really the power supply for the SB Touch.

I replaced the power supply with a Teddy Pardo TT powersupply. Steep at Euro 270, but I think it saved me money: I was about to go buy a Apollo-R as a transport, but will no longer do so. It makes a night and day difference.

Before this, having a dac in the path made a questionable difference, since there was so much noised being generated and introduced in the system with the powersupply.

Now, even though I just use the Digital Out on the SB Touch, for the first time, I can say that I'm done with fiddling around, and really know what my systems should've sounded like from the get go, if I wasn't fiddling around with the networking, and other cheaper transports (also tried the zune as a transport).

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi Modata,

Thanks for your input. I know PS is a sceptical subject but I am open to the possibility.

So would you recommend I start with PS over DAC?

What changes (in Sound Qualities) did you experience with the Teddy PSU? I would and sure others would be really interested in your thoughts here.

Cheers

Ambrose

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Ambrose said:
Hi Modata,

Thanks for your input. I know PS is a sceptical subject but I am open to the possibility.

So would you recommend I start with PS over DAC?

What changes (in Sound Qualities) did you experience with the Teddy PSU? I would and sure others would be really interested in your thoughts here.

Cheers

Ambrose

That's always a difficult subject! I tried myself the way of an external linear PSU for my Arcam rDAC (it wasn't the Pardo...but a linear PSU at half the price) and I could hear NO improvement at all over the supplied PSU...I kept for 10 days (refund policy was 14 days) and then shipped it back. Can't tell how the Pardo will perform...

A

Anonymous

I'm just using the digital out, and the teddy pardo psu made a huge difference to my entire system. I can't think of using it otherwise.

Most obvious is the improvement in bass, and a lowering of the noise floor. I'm happy about my system for the first time.

The biggest issue without the psu was that you had this a lot of 'high frequency energy' in the speakers/system that was extremely fatiguing to my ears. I still might replace my speakers, but I know that I've got the source sorted out.

Having said that, I'm not sure if this is the best solution.

Spend $1000 on the dac, $300 on the sb touch, $500 on the psu, some more on the amp, and you might have just gotten yourself a NAIM unitiqute one box solution.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
MoData said:
Having said that, I'm not sure if this is the best solution.

Spend $1000 on the dac, $300 on the sb touch, $500 on the psu, some more on the amp, and you might have just gotten yourself a NAIM unitiqute one box solution.

Generally I think there's a lot of truth in this. The budget transporters/DACs all have particular weaknesses that can be addressed by various add-on boxes (power supplies, USB converters/re-clockers, USB galvanic isolation devices, software tweaks...etc etc) if you're lucky and don't make too many false moves, you might end up with a slightly cheaper solution (assuming you don't count your own wasted time). Worst case, money is wasted on mismatches or things that don't particularly need fixing or diverted from say, amp/speaker upgrade budget.

But it's kind of fun to try to get away with a cheaper solution and add the little bits as you go along. And ultimately, it's not a bad thing to have the powersupply in a separate case, for example.

No such thing as a free lunch...

TRENDING THREADS