Squeezebox Classic or Netgear EVA8000 ?????

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
The Squeezebox Classic is purely an audio device, the Netgear can handle video as well. I started streaming 320kps mp3 files (plus video) to a Dlink 320, which worked fine but I did notice a significant increase in sound quality when using the Squeezebox. I then re-ripped the majority of my CDs in FLAC format and have more or less stopped using my CDP. The Squeezebox is a fantastic device that is constantly evolving. You can download the software to try it out on slimdevices.com (there are a couple of Squeezebox emulators). I would imagine the Netgear will require the TV on all the time too unless you can control it from the PC. The Squeezebox Classic's display is excellent. You will need to check file compatibility too.

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
Excellent, thanks for the replay. I did borrow one from my friend and did love the unit. Was looking at the Duet but its about £100 more just for a updated remote!!

cheers

John Duncan

Yeah I think if you just want audio the Squeezebox is a better bet - I seem to recall that the 8000 is a little light on lossless format support (though my memory is hazy) so may not be the best way to go. If you want video support I think the Apple TV kicks butt in this area anyway.

That said, I love the Duet handset - ooooo shiny.........

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
Video support would be a bonus but not essential, the Duet does look sexy. Just can't convince the girlfriend an extra £100 is justified

cheers

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Try cooltopia, the prices are a wee bit cheaper. If you have an iphone or itouch, you can control the Squeezebox using them, which is really cool
emotion-1.gif

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
There is a phone number at the bottom of the site and you can always check who-is. BTW, I ordered another SB Classic a week or so back. I got the link from the slimdevices site a while back and only decided to order another one after my bedroom pc was playing up. They were out of stock when I ordered but I will let you know how I get on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts