Spotify with Marantz cd player problem

Jonathan Cox

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
Hello all, been unable to find anything on here re my problem, so here goes.. Am using new iPod touch and Spotify premium through the front USB input on my Marantz cd6004. Sounds great but certain tracks (of which I've found many) will not play. Marantz display shows "USB com error" and have to reconnect. Always same tracks while other tracks never have a problem. Will be cancelling my premium if persists, disappointing as I bought the touch especially for this. Anyone else had this and/or advice? Thanks.

Jonathan Cox

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your response, firstly to clarify, iPod is connected to the Marantz cd player rather than my amp. And yes, all songs play fine when using Spotify straight through iPod, pretty sure issue with cd player? As an aside, amp is Marantz PM66 KI sig.

John Duncan

Are any of the tracks being integrated via iTunes? ie they're not actually spotify tracks but ones that are on your iPod and integrated into a Spotify playlist?

If not, can you give me an example of an actual track that's giving you a problem?

Jonathan Cox

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
Just had a quick experiment with this, think I've found a pattern. Searching by album, or on my playlists once a certain track is reached or selected the error happens. Examples - 1. foo fighters wasting light, a matter of time. 2. sepultura arise, meaningless movements. 3. Nelly furtardo Turn off the light 4. Genesis invisible touch, Anything she does. 5. Silverchair diorama, Without you.

However, tracks will play fine when searched individually by track name (except for "without you" oddly). Oh and I haven't any iTunes integrated tracks or songs on touch from my iTunes library.

Jonathan Cox

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
Caling Marantz will be my next move I think yes. It would be such a great fuction if not for this problem, there is another thread about this under Computer-based music titled USB Comm Errors, so not just my player. Wondering if all the 6004s have an issue with this?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have another thread on this, I'm experiencing the same problem as Jonathan, using a CDP 6004 with iPad/iPhone and spotify premium. The album will play fine the halfway through get the USB comm error, it's very frustrating.

This by all accounts should work without any problem, not sure if it's a marantz or spotify problem. The music stored on iTunes on my iPad/iPhone works fine connected to the 6004, so this leads me to believe it isn't an apple problem.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I tried to a playlist in offline mode and problem still persists which leads me to believe that this is a spotify problem, but still have an open mind that it could be a cd 6004 problem however I don't have this problem when playing music from iTunes so it must be spotify. This is so frustrating to which could be a brilliant service.... I'm very disappointed and I will cancelling spotify premium at the end of the month unless this can be resolved.

Jonathan Cox

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
It seems that the cd6004 doesn't like certain spotify tracks, whether streamed or offline. I also have no problem with any tracks on iPod from my iTunes library. I think it must be an issue with the 6004, but then if some many tracks are ok could just as possibly be a spotify issue. Anyway I've had enough and am cancelling my premium. Thanks to all for your input.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Have you contacted Marantz UK?

Im going to contact them tomorrow, I will report back as I would like the issue resolved, if not will cancel Spotify but I don't really want to.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have spoken to marantz uk, it's an apple problem..., well not a problem but apples restrictions forcing us to just use iTunes, spoke to a really helpful guy at length about this and it's definitely not spotify or marantz.

The only solution is an external DAC or airport express!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm no apple fanboy but that just sounds like a fob-off to me.
For it be apple's fault, just about everyone playing Spotify on their iphone through an external DAC would be having the same issues, because as far as the iphone's concerned, the Marantz is just an external DAC.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yes I see what mean, confused now??? So are you saying that my iPad/iPhone will stream to an external DAC? The marantz technical guy just said the CD6004 wasnt designed for streaming, but I can't see the difference wether its off my iPad or streamed through spotify, the DAC is still get a stream of 1s and 0s.

Grrrrrr

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't know really, to be honest. I just felt that unless there is a universal issue with iDevices streaming Spotify to any external DAC (and as far as I know, there isn't), then it's a bit immature of the Marantz rep to say don't blame us blame Apple.

Maybe there's just a fundamental incompatibility issue, which is fair enough I guess if they're saying that the USB input really isn't designed for streaming, but they should just say so, instead of blaming someone who hasn't had the opportunity to speak their corner re the issue (Apple).

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yep the marantz guy said the CD6004 iPod functionality wasnt designed for streaming, it's just by coincicdence that it will work for the first 4/5 track that stop with a USB comm error. I didn't buy the CD6004 for streaming to its DAC but it would of been great if it worked.

Now shall I buy a quality external DAC? Where do I start?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Now shall I buy a quality external DAC? Where do I start?
Well as a HRT fan I reckon you could do worse than the iStreamer, but make sure you buy it from somewhere which will let you return it, if it turns out it too doesn't like Spotify! :)

Jonathan Cox

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
Read through you guy's comments, so useful thanks. I was expecting it would be an issue where the connection not primarily for streaming, shame though as probably around 80pc tracks work fine. I think I will cancel my prem spotify and use basic as music discovering app (after all I did get the 6004 to play CDs in first place!). Time to create some space to store CDs I think! Thanks guys for all your points, forum is a great help for one just starting to build a decent set up for the first time. Speakers next.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yep that's exactly what I'm going to do, use spotify standard to see what CDs I want then shop around Play, amazon and eBay. I personally do prefer CDs to use in the CD6004, then rip them lossless to my iMac so I've music in the study as well, may get a DAC for my iMac and some active speakers or go for Sonus. However my hifi will be my main way of music listening.

geordie777

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issues with playing Spotify through my Marantz and Eventually cancelled my Spotify subscription. I am now using Rdio which I have on a 7 day trial and so far this works fine with the Marantz. I think it streams at about 256kdps and considering I had the streaming rate on Spotify set to extreme I can't notice a big difference in the sound. Quite happy at the moment no drop outs or problems yet.

A

Anonymous

dear whathifers, same problem here.

On my dads Marantz CD player and on my SR5007 the front USB doenst even recognize my iPhone 5.

iPhone 4 seems to work just fine with both machines. Both iPhones updated to latest iOS.

Weird Weird.

TRENDING THREADS