Spotify via airport express/apple tv with ipad as remote

stumpy66

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
I had been toying with the idea of getting a sonos or squeezebox to play my spotify premium account through my amp. Now that i have an ipad would the above work. Ive searched the net but seem to get mixed messages, is this possible, do i need anything else, airfoil or a spotify remote control app.

Has anyone done something like this and what was the sound quality like, i will be feeding it throught the dacmagic. I want to be able to achive this without the need for the laptop being on.

Any ideas

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
A Sonos CONNECT (ZP90) would connect directly to your amp (with or without a DAC) and will play from Spotify. You could use the Sonos iPad app to control it, without needing anything else.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I stream my Spotify premium content to my DAC via an Airport Express and more latterly an Apple TV, and it sounds pretty good. I use the standard Spotify app on my iPad to control it all. It's so convenient and so slick, I take it all for granted most of the time. Then occasionally, like now for instance, marvel at this home friendly, music-liberating, lifestyle enhancing technology at work.

stumpy66

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
I was thinking of the ariport express/apple tv as its quite a bit cheaper than the sonos. If that was the best way to go then i would hang off until after xmas to get it

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Both ATV and Airport Express have optical outs, that's how I connect mine to my DAC. If you're using iTunes then I can't think you'd need anything else.

For convenience and because my Chord DAC only has one optical in, I tend to exclusively use my Apple TV now over the once much used Airport Express.

Plus, the extra film/you tube and photo functionality comes into frequent use in addition to audio streaming.

stumpy66

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
The tv capabilities would be a plus, but its really spotify and internet radio that im planning to use it for. Will try and borrow one to make sure it sounds good

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I can't vouch for Internet radio as I rarely listen, but both Spotify and streaming lossless files from my Mac into the DAC via ATV sound very good. &nbsp

;Lossless files match CDs, at the least and therefore more or less negate the need for a CD player. If you didn't know that already. But you probably did.

cayorob

May 4, 2009
Visit site
I run my Airport Express into the same DAC and Amp as you. I used to use Airfoil sofware from a laptop, but since my iPad 2 came along Airplay is so easy and sounds excellent.

The Spotify app is just the iphone app for now which is a shame but works fine.

TuneIn radio app at 69p is again, excellent

cayorob

May 4, 2009
Visit site
No need, once an Airport express or Apple TV joins your network the Airplay icon appears in all your apps, you click that to select where you want the stream to appear.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
No, Airplay is built in. All you need to do is touch the 'i' icon and you will have a choice of sound on your iPhone/iPad and sound sent to your Airport Express (will say something like 'Base Station xxxxxx'). Select that and away you go. I CAN hear a difference between CD and streaming from Spotify Premium, but it's not a huge one and I love both the convenience and the opportunity to hear such a vast range of music.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi, in terms of sound quality I believe that the spotify app does not stream at the full 320kb but at 160kb so you will not be getting what you would get from a pc. To get the full 320 you would need airfoil on your computer to stream the content to the airport or something like a sonos or squeezebox. Saying that before AirPlay I used airfoil from my laptop and now I don't bother as I can use AirPlay without my laptop on and I can't say I have noticed a huge difference in sound quality. I alway had problems with airfoil anyway as it would crash a lot.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
One other thing to think about which annoyed me about iPhone airport route for spotify is that as essentially the phone is the source if I wandered out of wifi range with my phone in my pocket (I have thick Walls) everything would stop. with sonos or squeezebox it is in a fixed position so this is much less likely to happen.

stumpy66

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
got it sorted, thanks guys. Sound quality is perfectly accepting, cd player will stil b used for the main listening sessions.

Very happy :)

stumpy66

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
One problem, lots of drop outs when streaming, can't understand it though router, iPad and apple tv are all within 6feet of each other. May have to try a wired connection as this is so annoying

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts