Spotify or Napster to Naim Streamer

calpark46

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
Apologies if this has been covered before.

i've been looking at Naim Unitiqute or Unitilite with the principal intention of streaming my CD collection from a NAS drive. I also intend to purchase a Sonos bundle for multiroom streaming from the NAS and from Napster or Spotify.

If i want to stream Napster or Spotify to the Naim is there an easy/cheap way to do it?

Airport express?

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
You can get the sonos unit that has a digital out, to feed the naim. It's probably more than you want to spend tho.

Alternatively you can get an airport express. While there is no inbuilt spotify/napster support, you can stream it from your iPhone/iPad using airport to the airport express. Just choose the airport as the output device instead of the inbuilt speakers when in the spotify app.

The squeezebox touch has inbuilt support I believe, and is suppose to be excellent. Unfortunately it has just been discontinued and there are question marks over its long term support, but they are supposed to be pretty reliable so that needn't be too much of an issue.

jimmylee73

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I've just purchased "Airfoil" for my mac. I've attached the site link: http://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/

You assign can assign an application i.e Spotify or your browser and then play via an Airport Express.

Have just downloaded this morning and paid for a licence. Excellent and problem solved. Recommended!

Jamie

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
stevebrock said:
i maybe wrong but the AE will not support spotify/napster

A Squeezebox Touch will do the job

You are indeed wrong.

I use Spotify via my AE - no problems what so ever - either using the Apple iphone app (it has airplay built in) or streaming from my windows pc using Airfoil.

Both sound very good.

Edited !

Just seen above post - Airfoil comes highly recommended by me.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
im just wondering I use AE, can you just use it for itunes/airplay without using it as a digital hub

Not sure what you mean. You choose what to send to the airport device, if you only want to use it for itunes then thats all you send to it. Its not really a digital hub (IMO) as it has no storage or built in sofware or abilities. It merely links to other devices on the network to allow them to send audio (in this setup) to the amp or dac of your choice.

Juzzie Wuzzie

Steve - you can - just set it to join / extend your current network, and you won't notice any difference. If you create a new network with it, your "sending device" will need to switch between networks (as it can't lock on to two at once). For what it is worth, I use my AEX to extend my wireless network, Airplay, and to provide a wireless link for my Sky Box so I can have Sky Anytime. Hope that helps.

dragon76

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Depending on your budget you can use Iphone/ipod's Spotify app and then connect this to your streamer. The easiest way would be just to connect it to an mp3 input on the front panel of the Unitilite. Alternatively you can use an additional dock station which can be connected to Unitilite's digital input. These are the first options that come to my mind.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts