Splitting a HDMI signal

TitusG

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
I have finally setup my bluray player and have it plugged int my amp via HDMI. My amp will only output 1080i video, that results in a slightly juddery image compared to a 1080p signal straight to the tv. Is it possible to split the outgoing signal from the bluray player, so I can have a HDMI to the amp for sound and one to the telly for the 1080p signal?

Cheers

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Technically it's possible, but can't help thinking you'd be in for a whole world of HDMI handshaking pain. Doesn't your amp have a passthrough function, so the 1080p just goes straight through to the TV?

TitusG

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your reply Andrew

I don't think so. I've been through the manual a few times and can't find a reference to it yet. If you think it would be a pain I may just have to send it back and get one with analogue outs.

It's a yamaha rxv1600, so if anyone does know if it is possible to pass a 1080p signal and in a blind panic I have just overlooked something. I would be very grateful if you could let me know.

Cheers

skr1

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
TitusG:
I have finally setup my bluray player and have it plugged int my amp via HDMI. My amp will only output 1080i video, that results in a slightly juddery image compared to a 1080p signal straight to the tv. Is it possible to split the outgoing signal from the bluray player, so I can have a HDMI to the amp for sound and one to the telly for the 1080p signal?

Cheers
Hi check this

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Using a splitter will lead to 2.0 stereo audio output as when the devices perform the handshake they default to the lowest common denominator i.e. the TV.

TitusG

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
thanks for your replies

It looks like the sony 360 is going back and either a 550 or 760 will replace it. Abit of a shame but the judder is too noticable to put up with.

TitusG

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
I'll connect the bluray directly to the tv to get the 1080p image and the analogues to the amp. Its not a massive amount of judder at 1080i. I just thought it looked smoother at 1080p connected to the tv

S.Jacob

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Doesn't your receiver have two HDMI outputs? One should output 1080p and the other 1080i. Connect the TV to the 1080p output and the other to sky. You will lose HD audio if you use a splitter from your blu ray.

TitusG

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
the up conversion was set to off and both hdmi give out a 1080i signal. I think I'm going to have to get a player with analogue outs and connect directly to the tv.

skr1

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
cwalduck:I thought the RXV1600 had two in's and one out, have you connected them the right way round?

Yes-from spec sheet--2 In/1 Out HDMI Interface for High Quality Digital Audio and Video Data Handling.

A

Anonymous

Can't you run the HDMI direct to the TV, and connect the audio using the coaxial digital out of the player to the receiver ?

TitusG

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
Neon K:

Can't you run the HDMI direct to the TV, and connect the audio using the coaxial digital out of the player to the receiver ?

I could have but I wouldn't be able to get the uncompressed soundtrack, which is one of the main reasons I wanted to upgrade to bluray.

TRENDING THREADS