Spendor SA1 in a big room?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, everybody,

My first post here; I´ve been looking for information about Spendor loudspeakers and british forums have been the most interesting providers. As I have a specific doubt about Spendor SA1, decided to tell you what it is.

Last week I had a very beautiful experience when I visited brazilian´s Spendor distributor in Brasília.

I had the opportunity to hear the small SA1 and, to resume, I just fell in love with them. What happened between me and SA1 was exactly the same that happened between me and SP100: I went there and was not with an expectation so, because of that, I think my impressions are the purest I could have had.

What I heard from the SA1 seemed to me exactly what Spendor describes in its web site, which is surrounded by the professional reviews.

But the question is: although SA1 plays really big, with very, very good soundstage and does not present instruments in miniature size, being efectivelly very impressing, do you think is it, let´s say, way wrong if I have this so small speaker in a relatively big room, like mine, which is about 25m², almost totally open to another one with 24m²?

I can not demo them in my room.

Thanks,

João

A

Anonymous

In my experience the important thing is to sit fairly close to them. I find that they benefit from being in free space as the imaging and soundstage is at it's best. If you can place them no more than three metres apart and sit about the same from them, I think you'll be fine!

A

Anonymous

Thanks, igglebert!

I think I would position them like the way I have the speakers which are parte of my system now, which seems like what you suggest: 2,8m apart and I sit 2,7-3,0m far from them. The wall behind them is 0,8m far from their rear panels.

Although my speakers, bookshelf Jean Marie Reynaud Twin Signature, is able to produce more bass than SA1, I noted that the Spendor speaker, despite its diminutive size, is way more capable to fill the air with (incredibly beautiful and clear) sound.

Thereïs no doubt Iïll still miss bass presence, like I already miss with Twin, but maybe, considering the whole presence of music, this aspect wonït be so imposing to my brain, no?

Regards,

JoÆo

A

Anonymous

That layout is pretty much the same as mine.

I don't miss the bass because I find myself getting engaged by their presentation. I can appreciate that they're not for everyone. You could consider adding a decent sub, at least that way you can turn the bass on and off depending on your mood! The other option would be to try the A5s, not as good though! Oh, and definately get the dedicated stands, they make a difference.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Provided you don't play music at ear-bleeding levels, I think the SA1 will work OK in a fairly large room. Just make sure you drive them with a decently-powered amplifier - at least 50 W but preferably more - and you should be fine.

Also, I agree with Igglebert - you'll probably not miss the bass too much because the midrange and top-end are top class.

A

Anonymous

Thank you, singslinger!

My amp is a Canadian Blue Circle NSCS Int Amp. It is a SS design that produces 110w/8ohms. Capacitance of 100,000 microfarads. I think itïs a very good amp; I imagine it will probably work well with SA1.

JoÆo

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
jneves:

Thank you, singslinger!

My amp is a Canadian Blue Circle NSCS Int Amp. It is a SS design that produces 110w/8ohms. Capacitance of 100,000 microfarads. I think itïs a very good amp; I imagine it will probably work well with SA1.

JoÆo

You're welcome Joao! Yes your amp looks like it's more than adequate.

One final thought - the SA1 needs quite a long break-in time, maybe 50-100 hours of listening at moderate levels before they perform at their best. (I actually emailed Spendor and they replied with a recommendation of about 48 hours).

Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts