Spendor A5 Fault?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
hificonfused said:
Thanks for feedback. Interstingly if I run the x power in mono through one speaker. excactly the same results. If I run the system with a rega p3 turntable results are worse.

Have had the speakers checked out and no faults.

I really think I want something from my system which Spendors can not provide.

In my expereince although I have bought almost all my kit from the same supplier. they have not always been the most helpfull. Consequently going eleswhere this time for speakers. Going this wednesday to try some out. Will let you know how I get on.
Oh well.. Just goes to show nothing is definite. Some always seem to know it all... So it has nothing to do with the Arcam which some were jumping on that fact..

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
hificonfused said:
Thanks for feedback. Interstingly if I run the x power in mono through one speaker. excactly the same results. If I run the system with a rega p3 turntable results are worse.

Have had the speakers checked out and no faults.

I really think I want something from my system which Spendors can not provide.

In my expereince although I have bought almost all my kit from the same supplier. they have not always been the most helpfull. Consequently going eleswhere this time for speakers. Going this wednesday to try some out. Will let you know how I get on.

Hopeless mismatch from the beginning. Over the years Spendor speakers have been notoriously difficult to drive.

There is more too it than just power, it is the way the amplifier and speakers interact that is the issue. Changing either will probably solve the problem, but in my particular hi-fi universe driving any speakers in the class of the D5 or CM10 with an inexpensive low powered amplifier is not the solution.

hificonfused

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
You may be correct.

But in my universe funds will not allow to upgrade both amp and speakers at the same time.

I would like to upgrade speakers now with future upgrade of amps/amps at a later date.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
hificonfused said:
You may be correct.

But in my universe funds will not allow to upgrade both amp and speakers at the same time.

I would like to upgrade speakers now with future upgrade of amps/amps at a later date.

Understand entirely, my financial universe is in much the same state...... ;)

I know you have probably made up you mind an what you are going to change but I can't get past the feeling that the D5s are easily the best speakers you have mentioned, I would much prefer them to the CM10s for example.

In you position I would sell the Cyrus pre-power and spend about £2k on a really nice integrated amplifier, something from Electrocompamiet for example.

I know you are not me, but I remember when I bought my first pair of Spendors, they were considered a bit 'wimpy' by my rock and roll loving mates. I drove them with a massive power amp that was hidden away so they had no idea. I put on the title track from Bad Company, a slow quiet start then Simon Kirke's drums come in and leave my mates with their chins on the floor.....!

hificonfused

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
After loads of auditions where i took my amps and cd player. Finally decided on the CM10 awesome. Yes of course rest of the system is now lacking but thats the pleasure of upgrading.

Quite simply the CM10 sound quality was so much better than anything else tested. Even when blind testing which was interesting, it was clear which was the best sounding. I am sure there will be some of you out there which will disagree. Surely this is the reason we there are hi fi shops stacked out with vastly differing types of hi fi in them.

The base level control is something I have never heard before. Whilst with the tweeter on top of the box the detail is never lost, no matter what type of music is being played.

For rerference the volume levels available now are in abundance, infact pain levels can be reached with ease.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts