Spendor A series vs Classic range - your opinion

ricardos18

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Hello everybody,

i'm trying to decide on speakers. looks aside, what are the main differences in terms of sound delivery?

i have searched the internet forums but found zero information on the subject. just reviews and comparisons of different models. what i want to know

is Spendor floorstanders vs standmounters theme. which is better and in what case? Can someone clear this up for me?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ricardos18 said:
Hello everybody,

i'm trying to decide on speakers. looks aside, what are the main differences in terms of sound delivery?

i have searched the internet forums but found zero information on the subject. just reviews and comparisons of different models. what i want to know

is Spendor floorstanders vs standmounters theme. which is better and in what case? Can someone clear this up for me?

I don't think anyone can clear this up for you, as there are so many variablles involved.

- Personal taste

- Personal perception (of sound)

- Synergy with other componants

- Interation with room (size / decor / shape / construction)

IMO.The A Series, while still having a Spendor sound are more modern and forward. The Standmounts are more slanted towards the tradional "British Sound" and are more like the Spendors of old (musical / non-fatiguing / darker / warmer).

You need to listen to both with a range of amps to decide which you prefer.....they go well with Sugden imo.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil is right - the "classic'' range is less forward than the A series and has greater emphasis on the midrange (sometimes with reduced bass). I have a Spendor 1/2R (part of the classic range) which has a larger-than-average sized cabinet though, so bass is not a problem.

Best advice has already been given above - try out for yourself and decide which sound is for you,

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
The A series majors on detail and control. They do tend to be a more forward in presentation due to a slightly more prominent treble and tauter bass. The Classics are a more relaxed listen. Their balance is richer in the midrange and bass, and that makes them sound a little less agile. But not so much that it spoils the music. I've heard great examples of both ranges.

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
As has been said above, the only one who can decide that is you, with your system and in your room if possible. To me the A series have kept much of the old spendor values, but in a quicker sounding overall balance. The A's are also a little brighter sounding. To some this will mean than they are modern and bright, to others it will mean the older style models are sleepy sounding. If you get the chance to listen to both and prefer the older ones, then try and compare them to Harbeths as well.

I found it very easy to overlook the real attributes of the A series in a quick comparison, they are not designed to give a quick fix sound that appeals in the dem room, and then becomes wearing after a longer listen at home. They are a real long term speaker, so try for a home dem.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Ketan Bharadia said:
The A series majors on detail and control. They do tend to be a more forward in presentation due to a slightly more prominent treble and tauter bass. The Classics are a more relaxed listen. Their balance is richer in the midrange and bass, and that makes them sound a little less agile. But not so much that it spoils the music. I've heard great examples of both ranges.

I found the total opposite to your desription.

The A Series is smooth and laid back. The Classic range is much more like the studio sound - more detailed and forward in presentation with some pretty deep bass from the larger models. I'd take the Classic over the A series any day :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I found the total opposite to your desription.

The A Series is smooth and laid back. The Classic range is much more like the studio sound - more detailed and forward in presentation with some pretty deep bass from the larger models. I'd take the Classic over the A series any day :)

Your description of the "A series" is the way I found the "S series"....what did I say about perception in my first post. Though the A series are more laid back than a lot of the usual competition.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ricardos18 said:
thanks everyone for your replies,

what would be a better match with Cyrus kit?

The slightly "smart" answer is "which ever you prefer".....and will depend on:

- The Cyrus kit being used

- Personal preference

- Size of room

- Type of music you like

I really like the SA1s and STs.....but you need to set a budget and then go and listen.

You might find the big models in the Classic Series work well if it's Classical music you like. Anybody who gives you a definitive answer, is guessing!

ricardos18

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Cno, a local Spendor dealer doesn't stock cyrus. only Hegel source and amplification.

- CD8SE2, 8a

- natural tone balance where a violin sounds like a violin. and a wide, deep soundstage

- 12m

- mostly classical and electronic (delerium, oakenfold, etc..)

my budget is stretchable, but will not reach top end ST and sp100r2

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BronC said:
Has anyone reviewed the STs???

Are they like a cross between the A's and the Classics as I have read somewhere???

When I heard the STs, I felt that they sounded a bit like Floorstanding SA1s, though of course with more of everything....very nice musical speakers.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ricardos18 said:
Cno, a local Spendor dealer doesn't stock cyrus. only Hegel source and amplification.

- CD8SE2, 8a

- natural tone balance where a violin sounds like a violin. and a wide, deep soundstage

- 12m

- mostly classical and electronic (delerium, oakenfold, etc..)

my budget is stretchable, but will not reach top end ST and sp100r2

I'm not the best person to ask about Cyrus, as I don't really like the way they sound.

IMO. Unless you can hear the what you are going to buy, I wouldn't buy blind....especially with a brand that splits opinion, like Cyrus.

Have you heard the Spendor with Hegel.....might be worth a demo. If it doesn't work, you need to talk the dealers into a home demo with the amp/speaker of your choice.

Maybe the first thing to do is strike up a good relationship with one or more of these dealers (if you haven't already done so), and take it from there. A good dealer can be a mine of information.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Slightly off-topic but I recently listened to the new Hegel H-300 integrated with built-in DAC. Fantastic sound, very powerful and smooth. Could well be a good match for the Spendors.

WX

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm interested in the Spendor A3 or S3/5R2, and I have read once in some replies (on an Australian or NZ forum/magazine) that some liked the Spendors soundwise more with Rega and/or Creek and/or Yamaha A1000 instead of the way more expensive Naim & Cyrus amps.

IMO.... yes you might need a bit more budget for these Spendors than a KEF or Quad, but that does not mean you really have to buy an even more expensive amp which may or may not get better sound from it.

I rather reserve a bit more of my total budget for the loudspeakers.
smiley-smile.gif
;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts